Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Violet has a rash--mouth AND lower region.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Violet has a rash--mouth AND lower region. Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Gals, can any of you help? Violet is now 2 years and 3 months old, and she gets this rash every now and again around her mouth--mainly at the bow of her top lip, but sometimes, there are little, red pin prick sized dots randomly around the mouth, too. They never fill or crust over, just raise a bit. Neither of us have cold sores, but I know she kisses a lot of people...

My first concern is cold sores, but they don't "look" like cold sores, nor does she have the corresponding fever or gum or mouth issues. She is an orally fixated child, and has been drooling a bit.

Simultaneously to this mouth rash, she has a very similar looking rash in her diaper area. Same red dots, randomly spaced. It was really bad last week, but diaper creams seem to simply "lessen" it, as opposed to clear it. So, now I'm wondering if it's a yeast matter in BOTH areas.

When the mouth thing started a few days ago, I made my mind up to call the doc. Am I overracting?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  08:16:40 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if it could be thrush. I would clarify it with her doctor. Our family goes to mayoclinic.com for just about everything before we go the next step. Not advising...just curious.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  08:49:27 AM  Show Profile
She has an appointment tomorrow at 11:00. I don't plan on putting anything on her mouth or her bottom, neither seems to bother her, so that they can get a fair assessment.

I looked at the Mayo site. Good site for future reference. Normally, I wouldn't be so worried, but these bumps around her mouth bug me. She's got such a pretty little face, and they're really standing out like a sore thumb. She's never had the "initial" outbreak of a coldsore that they say is tell tale, but I'm not going to go there. Just going to wait for our doc. Good thoughts for my girl, and good thoughts for her momma so she doesn't worry herself sick over this!!!

Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile
It sounds to me like the childhood foot and mouth disease. It's a viral thing. Hope she feels better soon and that is's nothing serious.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:11:43 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a yeast or thrush infection. My son had it when he was about 18 months in the diaper area and it was a pain to get rid of. It didn't bother him but it sure looked nasty. Doctor prescribed a cream and told me to use vinagar in the rinse water when washing the diapers and not to use plastic pants over the diapers.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, that's what I'm thinking. It's been about 3-4 weeks on the dipe rash--initially painful but now just "there" and red, then faint, then red again. I thought yeast was only inside the mouth, though? Could just be something totally unrelated, but it sure seems coincidental.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  3:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- you can have topical outbreaks of yeast infections as well. I bet the doctor will take one look at it and give you a diagnosis. I don't think you are over reacting. Even if it turns out to be simply a yeast/thrush infection this is worrying you! You need to have peace of mind and if you know exactly what it is you can then treat it appropriatly. I think it will be good for you to get a firm diagnosis instead of trying to treat it with a bunch of differnt things trying to treat by process of elimination.

If it is thrush/yeast I can just see Violet with Genitian Violet staining her upper lip!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  7:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Yup yeast can be any where moisture and glucose is. Even between your toes!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:36:19 AM  Show Profile
Yeast has many forms including athletes foot so it can be anywhere even under that arms. Getting air to the area is important in healing it which can be difficult in the diaper area. Luckily when my son had it it was summer and we spent alot of time at my brothers house swimming so I was able to just let him run around naked.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:38:54 AM  Show Profile
Forgot to add that we normally have yeast in our digestive system so by nature it passes through when we have a bowel movement and can in the right conditions start an infection in the diaper area no matter how careful you are. Careful washing of the diapers is really important. Also this often happens if there is an oral thrush infection going on.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  07:42:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the helpful info about yeast. I had no idea, and the online resources don't go into that much depth. She goes at 11:30, but strangely enough, the bump is cleared up mostly on her mouth--just a faint discoloration. The rash is still there, but it's lessened over the last 24 hours...

I still kept the appointment. I would think it if were a cold sore, it would still be raging after 3 days time.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile
I'd say if it were a cold sore it would still be there. Maybe in scab form, but it would still be there. I say it's a yeast infection. They can get yeast infections in their mouths-anywhere that it's moist.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:33:50 PM  Show Profile
The rash on her bottom is yeast, the rash around her mouth is chapping from saliva. Doctor Anne wasn't worried and said she's as healthy as a horse. So, we have a yeast cream prescription and she'll be feeling better in no time. Thanks for your help, girls--I worry about that child more than I worry about anything under the sun.

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:35:55 PM  Show Profile
Thankfully I had a really great peditrician when the kids were little and nothing and I do mean nothing got bhey him and he was always great about explaining everything. The one near her mouth probably cleared quickly because it is not constantly damp like the diaper area.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  12:39:55 PM  Show Profile
That's why we waited a day until we could see Dr. Anne, Kathy--the other Dr's in the practice are "ok", very nice, but the last time we had a bit of an emergency visit, a true emergency (Violet had some serious side effects with her MMR vaccination which resulted in a measle like rash all over, as well as a severe upper respiratory infection), the doc sort of "poo poo'd" it and said, "if she's worse by the weekend, I'll write a prescription for an antibiotic" except he didn't have to watch her cry and whine and tug on her ear and not eat and not sleep...and by the next afternoon, her eardrum burst and we were at Children's hospital. So, I always wait for Dr. Anne You find someone you trust with your child's life, it's a good thing...

Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  4:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Jonni You are so right about having a doctor you trust!! Glad that it is what we thought and the cream will have her better soon. If you are using cloth diapers one cup of vinager in the rinse water will help.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- I am glad you saw the doctor. I am sure you feel better now knowing what it is and how to treat it most effectively. I hope miss Violet feels better soon! *hugs*

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  12:04:53 PM  Show Profile
You are a good mommy Jonni. :)

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  1:28:44 PM  Show Profile
both my girls would get the yeast bottom rash. If regular diaper cream doesn't heal it up, I found that it was a yeast infection. What I did was go and buy a tube of clotrimazole (anti-fungal cream), apply that to the bottom first, and then cover THAT with barrier/diaper cream. Worked wonders. Sure, there's a prescription 'bootie' cream, but it turned out it was clotrimazole/zinc oxide...both of which are OTC, just not combined!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/11/T084500.asp (see very last note)

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9327 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9327 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  09:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,
When I was reading about the reaction Violet had to the MMR shot it reminded me of when my second born daughter had hers. She broke out the same, took her to the ER and they thought it was menengitis. I did not get anymore vaccinations after that. Her regular pediatrician advised against them. Funny how those reactions can mimic something totally different.

Glad you found out what was causing the diaper rash and all. Yeast is a hard thing to conquer.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  10:47:32 AM  Show Profile
@Denise--you must have been terrified. Meningitis? That's a frightening diagnosis. When Violet had the issue associated with the MMR vaccine, the "nurse attendant" asked me what symptoms she was having, and I explained. She looked at me really strangely like I was either making it up or she didn't believe it. I told her that's the info sheet they sent that these symptoms were considered "more serious" and should be addressed by the pediatrician and she said, "I've never heard of ANY child with a rash from the MMR vaccination!!!" And dismissed me. Um...HELLO. It's a mild case of MEASLES, you idiot!!!

@Jeannie--thank you , this little girl is our whole existence!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 24 2011 :  11:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni- Wow- That I hope you reported that nurse and her attitude! Nothing bugs me more than when someone says something isn't important about Nora when it obviously is to me or I wouldn't be bringing it up!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  06:12:10 AM  Show Profile
I did, Alee. And better me than Justin. When we ended up at Children's Hospital the next day with her eardrum burst, he was livid--and I think they are lucky that I was the one doing the complaining! It was so frustrating because they give you this CDC "info sheet" about all the possibilities associated with the particular vaccine, and when Violet had the "more serious side affects associated" this nurses assistant acted like I was an idiot. Read your own literature, you goofballs!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  07:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you were a more litigious person you could probably have a pretty sound case for the pain and suffering that Violet had to go through by not being seen when that nurse turned you both away. I know that isn't your nature and really it isn't mine either- but sometimes I think the only way to get certain people to stand up and pay attention is by threatening them in the only place they seem to care about- their wallet. And it is so heartbreaking when the little ones are in pain and there really isn't anything we can do to make it better. It makes my growly momma bear come out and want to fight something.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Violet has a rash--mouth AND lower region. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page