Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Wearing riding boots for fashion?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wearing riding boots for fashion? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Unusual Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tammie
Ohio
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  04:51:46 AM  Show Profile
I have had an intense love for riding boots from early on in life. Maybe it was a Ralph Lauren ad or some magazine photo that sparked the romanticism I associate with such an item...
I recently came into an antique pair of brown leather riding boots from the 1920's early 30's in almost great condition- I am working on conditioning them since they were not "stuffed" to keep the leather from cracking just slightly. The women they belonged to was taking flying lessons {as you may well know, would be RARE & shocking of the time. As soon as she married her husband put a stop to her flying dreams.} plus she had horses she rode on their family farm here in our township.
They are in amazing condition for how old they are.
The heart break was discovering they were too small! So I am still on the look out for my {almost}everyday wear pair.

Anyone else wear tall leatherriding style boots on a normal basis? with skirts, pants, maybe even shorts?
Any tips on finding the right pair? I am looking to spend no more then $100 which means the quality will not be all that. Maybe later I can splurge for some Frye riders.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  05:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I say go for it! I think it sounds like fun! Although Tall boots are not always the most comfortable things so I would recommend going to a good bot and saddlery place and try some on before you buy actual riding boots. If they are uncomfortable they would be a disappointment too. If they are I bet you could find some great "mock" riding boots that would look exactly like riding boots but the interior structure of the shoe would be more build for walking than riding.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  11:20:42 AM  Show Profile
I have two pair of Justin ladies riding boots that I love, but they do not seem to make them anymore. The black pair I bought new 15 years ago and have nearly worn out, but they are still good to get resoled at least one more time. the other pair is brown and I bought them off ebay-they are about a 1/2 size too small so they dont get as much wear. I wear them all winter with skirts

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  11:28:36 AM  Show Profile
I used to wear a pair of black patent leather riding boots with the red top (my father was a jockey and I was an exercise rider in the summers) under skirts. They look great. They finally expired...and honestly, as much as I love riding boots, I was a ballerina and my calf muscles are a little on the big side, so it can be tough to find a pair that look sleek and fashionable AND accomodate a healthy calf.

Mostly now, I just wear my British Wellington's with skirts...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  12:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
the cool thing about knowing who you are, is the ability to wear what ever makes you happy! i love boots of all kinds and wear them with skirts and pants alike. vintage jump boots are my favorite and i wear them with skirts and dresses of all lenths and pants.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

Unusual Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tammie
Ohio
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  3:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Ladies. I was going to wear them, cool or not. ;) I was not sure if there would be many others with the same style of wearing which prompted me to ask.Although I am BIG into the barefeet I am juts as big into Boots!
I have a pair of neoprene faux muck boots that i do love to wear but my husband bought them a size too big for me. No way was I going to wait for the turn around on them. lol.
I am getting into the photog mode and will have my oldest wear the pilot/ riding boots {fits her perfectly but not for long} for a few things I have envisioned but eventually they will be sold off to someone else who can keep loving them.
I have a used horse tack place in town which i plan to check out if they have some used boots BUT I am keeping my eye out for some used Frye brand riding boots. lol. Heard the quality will last over a decade or more even with constant wear.
Go to Top of Page

Chickadoodle_KM
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Kate
Babylon Village NY
USA
89 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  3:47:32 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie,

I too love boots! But in my case it goes further then just boots, I love shoes! One day I'll be wearing my frye boots like today, but tomorrow I plan on wearing sky high espadrilles(may have spelt that wrong)! I have a pair of faux riding boots from believe it or not Target! I love them and always get compliments and asked if they're real riding boots! Now as much as you'll see me rocking a pair of 4 1/2 inch heels you'll also see me running around barefoot, just like when I was little chasing after fireflies! I don't know why so many people hate feet! You can have so much fun with them! Oh and to answer your question I wear my boots with skirts, dresses, shorts and skinny jeans! You may want to look on ebay for a reasonably priced authentic pair of riding boots, that's where my aunt found her pair and she loves them!

Farmgirl hugs & kisses,
Kate

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."-Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  8:36:39 PM  Show Profile
I had a pair of Justin lace- ups that was HORRIBLY stiff. I wore them to work ALL the time to break them in, and got tons of compliments. I wore them with skirts on prenatal days and postpartum home visits, as a midwife. Now thye are fully broken in, and have been re- soled once so, no longer work attire, lol, but ridden in regularly.
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  4:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Tammie,
What kind of riding boots are you looking for and what size are you? I have a vintage pair of knee high english riding boots in black leather that are size 9 1/2 B and made by Marc Alpert. I usually wear an 8 1/2 to 9 but these ran a little small. I would be interested in selling them as I have a boot collection and can't wear them all! I love boots and wear them with everything! I remember way back when my best friend got married, she said "I hope you aren't wearing boots to my wedding!". Of course I did, a pair of vintage lace up granny boots with my dress!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  7:25:32 PM  Show Profile
If they are not Tammie's size or she isnt interested in buying them, I would be interested in them.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  9:19:14 PM  Show Profile
I will post a photo tomorrow!

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  4:05:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie :) I have to chime in. I just recently rediscovered how comfortable my boots are. I wore them alot in high school. A friend gave me a vintage pair & I wore them for awhile, then I bought another pair. I still wear them both & I LOVE IT !. I broke the new ones in, I thought they were too small. I conditioned them & then struggled to get them on, I put foot cream on my feet, then wore them all day long & they fit great now. I wear them, love them & I do not care if anyone thinks it is cool or not ;) I do my own thing of course by now they are used to seeing me wearing my aprons, using vintage purses, jewelery, hats & clothes, so my western boots should be consider somewhat normal ;)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Unusual Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tammie
Ohio
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  4:50:34 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it rather odd how the "fashion" world likes to deem almost like a law what you can & can not wear to be fashionable? LOL> I feel the same way. Being that I am in the north & in Ohio, I just assumed I would see more women wearing boots but it seems rare unless I get deep into the country. Saw more boots on people living in central fla then I do in corn country. ;)
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  02:52:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tammie :) I was just in OH. 2 weekends ago, I wore my Vintage Pair to a swap meet. I seen alot of hiking boots & sneakers but no riding or western. Actually there is alot of gas drilling in my area & I see alot of the men from TX., OK., WY., wearing western boots. ;)I used be a slave to fashion but no more. I am true to myself now :) So, I say to you, be the first in your area to break those rules & have some fun. Life is short & precious, ENJOY & savor every moment. ;) Remember all women are created equal & then they accessorize :)

Blessings

Edited by - fille de ferme on May 21 2011 02:55:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  06:15:28 AM  Show Profile

These are the riding boots I have for sale or trade. Tammie has the first chance at them.

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Unusual Farm Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tammie
Ohio
USA
58 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  06:20:39 AM  Show Profile
I reall do like them but I would really like a pair without laces.I have a pair of line dancing boots that lace up which is why i want the lace less style. lol. Thank you so much Fiddle head for sharing em.
ladies, If their your size I'd grab em up! They are a deal!
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  07:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I want them Diane, unless you want an arm and a leg for them-I need those:) I have been wanting a pair WITH laces.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 21 2011 :  10:47:47 AM  Show Profile
I like the stool! LOL

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 22 2011 :  5:50:22 PM  Show Profile
SOLD! Thanks Sylvia!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 26 2011 :  10:25:59 PM  Show Profile
i have ben dying to get a pair of cowboy boots for my self... but i really need!!! muck boots. can i use cowboy boots to clean out my muddy chicken coop? will cow boy boots hose off or will my feet get wet?

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  05:07:15 AM  Show Profile
I found a pair of muck boots that look like cowboy boots! Here is a link http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=rain+boots+that+look+like+cowboy+boots&x=0&y=0

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  2:58:47 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
buy a pair of cowboy boots and wear rubber overboots when doing messy chores. the way i was raised, that was standard procedure.

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 27 2011 :  3:18:02 PM  Show Profile
I don't think I've ever seen a pair of overboots!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  12:41:20 PM  Show Profile
I love wearing my cowboy/girl boots. I went out last week and my fellow said wear your cowboy boots they look so GOOD on you. So I did of course. LOL MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - May 28 2011 :  2:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
never seen a pair of overboots?! we always got ours at the local farm/ranch store. they are black rubber and shaped to go over a cowboy boot with a row of metal buckles down front. just thinking about it, i can remember the way the buckles jingle when you walk....

Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - May 29 2011 :  7:43:31 PM  Show Profile
Man I love me some boots, but they're super hard to find for myself. I like feminine styles, but I'm 6 ft tall with women's size 12 feet and thick calves so men's styles are pretty much it!

The only pair I have at the moment are some imitation Doc martens that lace up to the knee. I love em but I've only worm them twice because they bunch up at the ankle and rub the inside of my leg raw after many hours. Hopefully I can break them in better, but summer in AZ (which lasts for 10 months) is all about the sandal.
When it's not so hot I'll try them again with some thick socks and skinny jeans, i had the option to go a half size bigger when I ordered so I did!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Wearing riding boots for fashion? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page