countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  09:23:39 AM  Show Profile
I already have two kids and I tried breastfeeding both of them. My daughter I was only able to nurse 100% for the 1st month, then my milk supply dropped (I got pregnant with #2). So I would supplement only AFTER she nursed from both sides. Eventually even with pumping after she would nurse I dried up. With my son I was able to nurse about 50% until he was 3 months old but I never could get my milk supply in for him enough. He would get so upset (even as a brand new baby) because he couldn't get his tummy full enough quick enough.

I really want to nurse them totally for at LEAST 6 months. I've lowered my goal from a year to 6 months to try to make that short term goal more attainable. My cousin told me this because I was so stressed out with how nursing was going with my son "Dishes be quiet, dust go to sleep, I'm caring for baby for babies don't keep". That helped me some, but I was pretty stressed out about dishes and laundry continuing to pile up and trying to nurse, take a nap since babies don't realize nighttime is for sleeping for a while.

I was wondering if anyone had any books, advice, anything for me to read up on, look into, keep notes on for when baby comes in November. I want to make this work for at least 6 months (preferably a year but trying to keep my goals attainable considering the other 2 kids).

I did see a lactation consultant but everything in that department was good so I had some people tell me I wasn't resting enough, devoting enough time for nursing, and I was too stressed and stress can result in not enough milk. Maybe that is/was my only problem with the last 2 kids. Not to mention having them only ten and a half months apart. Either way I want nursing to work for Baby #3.

Let me know any advice, books, words of wisdom. Anything! Thanks in advance!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  11:23:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I successfully nursed three children for 12+ months and thought nothing could stop me! Right after baby #4 was born, I noticed a decrease in my milk. I freaked out!!! My family used to say I must have been a dairy cow in a past life I usually make too much milk. I talked to my Dr, the pediatrician, the LLL, and discovered birth control pills, and IUD's treated with hormones can lower your production. I never had this happen with the pill, but 9 weeks after my youngest was born, I had an IUD placed.
I nursed every hour and a half, then pumped for 7 min. I was told to start taking fenugreek three capsules, three times a day. You can find it on line, or at health food stores. It makes your urine smell like licorice, but no big deal. It helped tremendously!! My milk production went back up to almost normal within a week! We nursed exclusivelyfor 14 months. Never bought one can of formula! I hope and pray this help you too. Good for you for being so determined! So many nursing moms are frustrated, and even being encouraged to stop, or give up!!(((hugs))) there is nothing better for your baby, and its such an amazing and special bonding time only mommy and baby can have!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  5:49:18 PM  Show Profile
It's the kind of birth control, different hormonal birth controls have different effects.

That being said a few things that can help-
Drink plenty of water
eat plenty of fiber, and oatmeal
mother's milk tea by yogi
fennel seed, and fenugreek you have to take quite a bit you will know you are taking enough when you smell of maple syrup.

there is also prescription drugs not all USA pharmacies will know of it you may have to go to a compound pharmacy or buy from Canada. They can cause nausea to some mom's though and others are fine on them. (there is two out there right now pretty available through compound pharmacies and Canada)

That being said right now find your local La Leche League and start going to the meetings.

Also don't think cause you talked to one LC that they are all a like there is no real schooling required for LC's so all can be very different in the amount of education and/or experience they have. You would probably have more success going to a LLL Leader they are free and can really really help, also they may know of LCs with more education and/or experience.

Oh and books-
The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is great, but if you truly have a production problem also I think-
The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk: Foreword by Martha Sears, RN
is essential, I really liked the advice and easy going language and just over all view points in-
http://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding-Made-Simple-Natural-Nursing/dp/1572248610/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I hate to say it, but I think I really liked Breast Feeding Made Simple a bit better then The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. But, truly I would buy both, as they are both treasure troves of information. I also learned a lot about how milk is made and therefor how to make more milk from the Making More Milk book, answered a ton of questions for me.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on May 16 2011 5:53:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! I will check out the books. I always thought a LLL cost something to join. I will be looking them up! Hopefully there is something close to me!

As for birth control I know for sure that isn't the problem because I won't take birth control. I have been using fertility management (It's like natural family planning, but easier and it actually works for us). I never knew about fennel helping milk supply, I did know about fenugreek but I have an allergy to aspirin and I was told I couldn't take fenugreek... I will have to check that out more to be sure.

I do have another question. I was very shy about nursing in public, neither kid wanted to be covered and I got stared at relentlessly. I would cry about it because I'm thinking hasn't anyone ever seen a baby nurse before? Milk doesn't come from a can, it comes from mom too! So that added to my stress too. I refuse to nurse in bathrooms. I just think if the person giving me a problem won't eat their dinner in a bathroom, why should my baby?! But still, I don't want to be shy about nursing in public. I went out to eat a few months ago and saw a mom nursing without a cover and I was thinking, if she can do it so can I. But when it comes down to it, how do I beat that feeling of embarrasment over something so natural?

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Krystle, I had the same issue with my first. After pretty much being stated out of my first restaurant nursing attempt, someone suggested I go practice in front of a mirror. That's when I realized all any on-lockers could see was the back of my baby's head, and the top of my breast. People don't look at women in disgust when a bit of cleavage shows from the top of a blouse, and that's all that shows! If the got a glimpse of more, they were making an effort to, and that's on them!
Another thing I found that helped was to wear nursing tops. They are made to make nursing easier, and most have a bit of cover on top of your breast, while nursing!! I feel in love with the tops from expressiva.(www.expressiva.com-watch for sales and Clarence)
Nursing is natural. It's best. It's what we have breast for! People do stare, but if we all do it more, and treat it like its no big deal, the more used to it people will become. I used to smile, wave, and then kiss the top of my baby's head when people would stare. One time my second DD was nursing at DMV, and my 8 year old son saw someone stare. He said, "my moms boobs make milk, the baby screams if she's not eating, and I don't want to hear it!" It was so funny! No one else in the building glanced my way!
*AND YOU ARE RIGHT, NO ONE WANTS TO EAT IN THE BATHROOM. SO, WE SHALL NOT SERVE ANY MEAL THERE!

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi Krystle, nursing in public was a hurdle for me too....but maybe this child won't be as sensitive to having a blanket draped over them. What I did was have a soft, lightweight blanket that I would drape over my shoulder and it was large enough that it wasn't clingling to them. It was a lot easier when they were only a few months old, but as they got older, they did try to grab it and sometimes it would fall. I think the more you nurse in public the more comfortable you will feel. Or try to feed the baby right before you go out to eat.....just don't give up, keep experimenting and find what works for you and you will surely find your comfort zone. Sometimes I did leave whereever we were at to go to a seperate room or in our van just for the quietness. If I was nervous or self-consious I couldn't relax enough to feed the baby either. My milk supply did decrease signficantly around 6 months with my 3rd, and I was upset with myself alot. But, remember that any breast milk from the beginning to however long it lasts is so much better than none at all. Ecspecially the colostrum that is expressed shortly after birth.....so if you can't make it a year or even 3 months, be proud of the fact that you gave what you could. You are not a failure in anyway....I think that sometimes our bodies just say enough is enough. But, I do suggest seeking support from LLL or your hospital groups, and other Mom's who go through it too. Good Luck, Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  09:42:33 AM  Show Profile
Well you can "join" LLL for 40 dollars a year, but it is not required to join to get help or go to the meetings. They are completely free to who ever wants/needs them. If you are having financial problems, and you want to "join" (which I haven't joined yet, but am going to soon, and I've been going for a while!) many groups have financial aid, where they will either give you a full scholarship if needed, or pay for the part you can't. IE if you can pay 10 they will pay the other 30, etc. Mine is also now taking payments, and will cover the other part till you make it up in payments, (5 or 10 dollars a month, etc). However, again being a member is not a requirement for help or to go to meetings. I have not been treated any differently for not being a member. In fact, I've been treated wonderfully.

As for nursing in public, MOST children will not want to be "covered" it's right down hot under there. Stick your head under and see for yourself! lol Most LLL leaders also suggest "not" covering at LLL meetings just to make it more comfy for the other mom's. We always know a new mom-she's in there trying to keep a cover on, trying to help her baby latch on while the baby is screaming the whole time. Meanwhile mom looks on the verge of a nervous breakdown! Of course we encourage every one to do what is comfortable for "them". I just try to tell frazzled new moms that they can do what they feel most comfortable with but please don't think they need to cover up because of the rest of us being there. And you should see the look of relief on most of their faces! lol Going to the LLL will probably help you feel more comfortable with it cause you will see other moms there nursing "publicly", you can also find other mom friends, many become friends outside of the meetings, and I think being around them kind of gives you more strength you know. And as was said just doing it. The more you do it the more you will get used to it. And I agree, no way am I going to sit on a toilet to feed my baby, that's the sickest thing I ever heard people say (I've heard others do this, and I just can't imagine! I would NEVER!)those type of people can go fly a kite as far as I'm concerned. That being said some people hate them and some people love them. I LOVE nursing clothes. I like ELD patterns pretty good and I try to wear blouses that just naturally make it easier to nurse in as well. If you sew you may want to join the NMSL (nursing mom's sewing list) do a google for it, and there's lots of moms on there who sew nursing clothing.

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  6:45:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Heather, I didn't know there was a NMSL!! I would have sewn all my tops! Never crossed my mind. That does it, now I know for SURE I'll have baby #5, just so I can sport all my new handmade nursing tops!!
Krystle, I have a very large breasted girlfriend, who has saved for years to get a reduction after she finishes having her children. She is heavy, and she herself gets very hot, but she is so very self-conscious, she can't relax to nurse w/o a cover. I made her a nursing cover out of a glossy, metallic silver SHEER fabric. It was just a full circle with a hole in the center. Like a doughnut, or a skirt. I put a smoke strap and pretty sinch buckle across the center hole so she could get one ARM out too. The reason for metallic fabric was so even though it was sheer so she could stay cooler, it reflected light away, and you really couldn't see through it at all.
They sell a lot of nursing covers too, if you'd like one. Baby can't pull them off, but they can still lift, so I didn't think they helped that much. And Heather is right. Add nursing hormones, heavy milk filled breasts, worked up hungry baby, and a blanket...what do you get? H.O.T. LOL

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 17 2011 :  8:32:59 PM  Show Profile
Lots of good advice here.
For information on boosting supply, check out www.lowmilksupply.org
Best to you and your little ones!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  05:32:25 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the info! I contacted the Wisconsin LLL and the closest one is about an hour away from me. I'm not sure if I can afford to make extra trips down there but if I can I will. The leader emailed me back and gave me some books I could read in the mean time. I also bookmarked the websites on my browser so I can always go back and read the info there!

I never knew you could make your own nursing clothes and have them look like real clothes! I really like the boob brand style of nursing clothes, I was able to find a shirt at a rummage sale. I love it, and they have this really nice summer dress but it was almost $100 and I just can't afford that. I am hoping to find some at rummage sales this year. I have found some winter maternity clothes at one so far this year but I really need nursing clothes!

Also, I have heard mixed reviews about the best type of bra to nurse in. Sports bra and nursing bra. I had some nursing bra's but they were difficult to reattach the snap and made it obvious to everyone around what was going on. Even when I nursed in the backseat of the truck people would look. I didn't try a sports bra out because I didn't have any that would fit me at that time. Also, there are many types of sports bra's out there but which kind? The only kind I have are for running and also work for horse back riding. I loved wearing my tanktops in the summer with a short covering the straps for a layered look but I found it hard to wear them in public without a bra too. The nursing pad's wouldn't stay in the right spot, showed right through the top but it was so nice to pull one side down, let baby nurse then pull the top back up. I really liked how simple it was for at home but in public I just was lost as for clothing. I will check out the patterns. If anyone else has a style of clothes too that they recommend I would love to hear about it! Thanks everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  06:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Heather, I didn't know there was a NMSL!! I would have sewn all my tops! Never crossed my mind. That does it, now I know for SURE I'll have baby #5, just so I can sport all my new handmade nursing tops!!
Krystle, I have a very large breasted girlfriend, who has saved for years to get a reduction after she finishes having her children. She is heavy, and she herself gets very hot, but she is so very self-conscious, she can't relax to nurse w/o a cover. I made her a nursing cover out of a glossy, metallic silver SHEER fabric. It was just a full circle with a hole in the center. Like a doughnut, or a skirt. I put a smoke strap and pretty sinch buckle across the center hole so she could get one ARM out too. The reason for metallic fabric was so even though it was sheer so she could stay cooler, it reflected light away, and you really couldn't see through it at all.
They sell a lot of nursing covers too, if you'd like one. Baby can't pull them off, but they can still lift, so I didn't think they helped that much. And Heather is right. Add nursing hormones, heavy milk filled breasts, worked up hungry baby, and a blanket...what do you get? H.O.T. LOL

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:23:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm very large busted as well, I'm a i cup. I have to say people probably do get a eye full especially the first few months, but as my little sister said when she was 2 years old once, if you don't like it, don't look! lol haha

Personally I HAVE to wear a nursing bra, the sports bras don't have the support I need as a i cup. (my breast would be around my belly button! lol) I wear elomi with underwire. My first ones though were wireless Goddesses, the Goddess was ok at first but with out the underwire they broke down rather fast. The elomi with underwire has held up the best for me so far. I can't remember with the Goddess how easy it was or not to unsnap at first, I know by the end it was pretty easy. Well with Elomi they were pretty tight at first (the closure/snap thingy) and it was quite obnoxious and hard to get open and closed. However, with use, they pretty quickly became looser (not too lose, just not so tight it took all my strength to unlock, and lock back in place! lol) I can do it one handedly pretty fast. I think it just needed broken in a bit, and also with just practice as well became easier and easier.

I am sooooooo sorry LLL is so far away from you. I am not sure if there is some yahoogroups or such in your area. But, I would really try while your still pregnant at least, to see if you can't get a group started up some how where you live. Maybe ask around at your drs office etc. I know sounds like a lot of work......UHG, but I just think it would be so good to have some sort of nursing mothers group local to you. Even if it wasn't LLL (although LLL gives you a ton of information to help) but just the mother to mother support would be awesome. I am not sure how far from a "city" you live, but if you have WIC where you live, you may want to ask at their office about a nursing mothers group they may have (I don't think you have to be on WIC to go to their nursing mother groups). I didn't know they had ones till like a couple of days ago, but if your town has them, maybe that would get you at least some mother to mother support. I think it's really important to surround yourself with other like minded people for strength and help.

My baby wouldn't even want the nice kind of cover on her though, she doesn't even like my arm, or anything like that even close to her head or face while she is nursing. I have to sit just right for her, lol, etc. She's VERY picky! And pinches hard when you don't comply! hahaha

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  09:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I've gotta back up what Heather said-my little girl (3 months old) can't STAND a nursing cover-on our recent trip home on the plane she'd fuss when I put the nursing cover on.

I've had a close friend who had supply problems, and the main things that helped her are taking fenugreek, drinking TONS and TONS of water (I don't have supply issues but my body keeps craving TONS of water-I probably drink 80-120 oz of water every day!) and pumping for at least 5 minutes on EACH Side after nursing.

Some women say block feeding (Only feeding your LO on one side) and pumping the other side helps, too. Make sure to pump at night as well!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  10:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Yeah I forgot to say water, water, water. Pumping helps too though. I also found for myself soda will really decrease my amount. Other people find peppermint and some other herbs also decrease their supply. For me I've only found soda to be a big contributer to a decrease (major decrease! From just one!).

About NSML they are on a email group, also on MSN (I think that's what it is called! lol) and on Facebook. So look around for them, they have mom's on there that have 8 or more kids and have been sewing nursing clothes for 20 plus years along with novice seamstresses. (sorry I hate the word sewer! lol haha)

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  11:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Yes, Heather, soda, strong teas, and coffee! Besides amping your LIL one, caffeine is a dialetic, pulling the precious water right out of your system. Avoid large amounts of caffeine!!
Drinking lots and lots of water was beyond easy for me, it was an absolute necessity!! The moment my lil one would latch on, it was like someone stuffed cotton balls in my mouth! I hated that feeling, especially if I somehow forgot to grab a water refill, before I sat down and got started, then had to get back up to fetch water. Lol. I started filling sports bottles and leaving a full one each morning by the bed, in the nursery, the kitchen, living room, and one by my purse. Water, water and more water!!!!
I had one baby the same way. I had to air right, have the boppy pillow sitting a specific way, no cover, hands in the right place, and he'd only nurse with his left ear down. So, to feed him he laid across my lap to nurse on the right side, and to nurse on the left side, I had to use the football hold. Talk about picky. He pinched too, astonishingly HARD.

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on May 18 2011 12:06:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  12:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh, and nursing bras...I couldn't stand fighting with the sports bra. I had a lot of the nursing tanktops, I did the layer thing a lot too. I ordered very pretty nursing bras from expressiva. Some has decorations on the clips and others had a riff or small flap the covered the clip altogether. It takes a bit of practice, and breaking in like Heather said. One extremely great bra that supported, felt, and worked best (but was one of the ugliest bras ever made) is the hands free pumping bra made by LLL.
Another bra tip I got from LLL was to avoid underwires. They press under and along the outside of the breast, and your milk glands run all the way to your armpit. If you press them, they can plug and you can wind up with painful lumps, mastitis, and decreased milk supply. I know underwires feel more helpful for a full bustling, but like I was told, the larger the breast, the more weight on the wire, the more pinching agents the milk glands and ducts.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  2:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Well I will say for a underwire, LLL has changed on that. I think what matters with a underwire is for sure get the right fit. If you are wearing the wrong fit you will have it press on those areas. The correct fit will not put pressure on those areas. That's why I get the I cup, and the correct band size, instead of stuffing myself in a ill fitting bra. I wasn't able to locate or purchase the underwire ones till about 6 months into nursing this time and I didn't see it have any effect on the amount of milk I was getting, lumps, etc nor did I get mastitis etc, however, I did get mastitis three times with out a underwire my first nursing time. However, I know the lady at nordstroms kept trying to get me to get too small of a size and I told her that would effect milk and all that. she just looked at me like I was from outer space! lol haha

My daughter was also a one sider, lol she always liked to be on the right side though! UHG! lol So had to do the football hold too. I actually took the boppy with me to the store to find a "chair" to nurse in and tried them out in the store cause she was so picky! lol haha Then I found My Brestfriend pillows, they are much easier then boppy to get that "just" right groove and made it really possible for us to nurse in any chair! Where boppy was very subjective from chair to chair! UHG!

Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  3:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Never tried a Breastfriend. Yet another reason to have one more before I hit the foreboding advanced maternal age of a ripe old 35(1 1/2 years away...& the clicks ticking) lol. Oh how I miss nursing. That "you can hold me, cuddle me, and I will not wiggle and demand to get down and go go go" stage is long gone. My youngest is 2 1/2, and I got sick in march of 2010, and in less than a week, my milk was gone. We didn't gradually stop, it was instantaneous. My son was okay with it, only a few rough patches, but I WAS NOT READY, AND ALREADY EMOTIONALLY WRECKED, and this still makes me want to cry sometimes. Oh well, I am glad the underwire thing is changed. If it doesn't pinch, its so much more comfortable, especially when you're full, or during let down.

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 18 2011 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile
Yeah you for sure don't want a pinching one weather you are nursing or not. So important to have the right size fit, most people are wearing too large a band and too small a cup. Cause most stores don't sell i cups and such, however, if women would quit buying the too large band size to fit into the too small cups the stores would be forced to start carrying them. Also see I can only wear expensive bras (they don't make cheap ones in my size) and I was paying like 50 to 60 dollars for the bras with out underwires and they would only hold up for like 4 to 5 wearings then they would be broke down (the weight of my breast is just too much for fabric alone I guess, even though the fabric seemed really reinforced and strong, it would roll and do weird things and before you know it my breast would be around my belly button!). Where the underwire ones I bought have held up now for almost a year! I paid around 40-50 for them (pretty cheap for my size, but I had a coupon! YEAH!). The best bras for my size are usually in the 80 dollar range, but they don't make nursing bras. However, this was the first time I ever heard or tried Elomi's and I'm pretty happy with them. I think I will stick with them even after I am done nursing. I will go to nordstrom's and buy them off the rack! YEAH finally something I can buy off the rack. However, nordstrom's doesn't keep on the rack my size nursing bras! :o( I wish they would. I also wish LLL would make larger size bras. Same with Medela I don't understand why these big time breastfeeding friendly companies don't make a wider range of sizes. Seems America likes to be in denial about the wider range of sizes women are though. For some odd reason! lol haha I usually only find UK companies that make my size.

lol I'm older then you and this is my fourth pregnancy! lol I'm 36. I'm not too worried about the forboding advanced age. I think it may have more to do with genes then age. Cause my grandmother had her last at 45. I have a lot of cousins still have children in their 40's and so far so good. Yet, (and I don't mean this in a mean or nasty way just a matter of fact way, and as a fact) my husband has a by marriage cousin who was VERY young and had a child with down syndrome, I also know a lady in my church her first (which she was in her early 20's) had down syndrome her second and third which she was older with neither one has ds, or any disabilities. My husband's cousin blames it on prenatal vitamins. She has a older child and a younger child then the DD that has DS, and she was not on prenatals with the older and younger one, only the one that has down syndrome did she go on the vitamins and she is the only one with a disability, same with some of my husbands other cousins, the ones who had disabled children were all on prenatals, the same women had other children with out disabilities and were not on prenatals, they think the prenatals don't mix well with their genes. Seems reasonable. I seen on facebook one of my friends posted that some prenatals have a lot of vitamins that we well know cause birth defects, kind of scary!

The my brestfriend pillow is awesome. It stays in place, where the boppy is a mess to keep in place. A lot of hospitals now use them, and I got the idea off of Michelle Duggar, I was a really hesitant in believing it would be that different. But, it's a HUGE difference. I love it and recommend it to every one now.

Any way, that being said I am so so so sorry your nursing came to such a abrupt end, I would be sad too! :o( I know that decongestant medications can dry a lot of people up. Never had that effect on me personally, but some people can't even use Vick's with out drying up! So must be very careful for some people.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on May 18 2011 7:00:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 19 2011 :  10:21:03 PM  Show Profile
OK now, I'm really old and I was a cranky baby but my mom and my family swore by BOCK German beer in the afternoon. They always said the beer relaxed my mother so she felt better and let down more milk. I'm just saying...alternate benefit-to this day I HATE beer! LOL Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:45:52 AM  Show Profile
I walked with my aunt and all she used was underwires and never had a problem. I think that was part of my problem.

Joey: I have heard that as well too, but I also hate beer! Even though I live in Wisconsin! haha!

I am so thankful for all the advice you ladies have given, I really hope that this will work for me! I feel a lot more encouraged to keep on trying and if it fails, try something else. I will probably need more encouragement when the time actually comes to start nursing when little one comes but still! Thanks all! If anyone thinks of anything else that could be helpful please let me know!

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

KatTylee
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Katrina
Mitchell Nebraska
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  11:02:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi there,
I had problems with supply with my son too. My LC suggested the fenugreek and alfalfa. I laughed when she told me that. I asked if that was because that's what milk cows eat. :) She didn't get as big of a kick out of it as I did. Oh well. It did seem to help. Beer did seem to help with the letdown with my first one. I didn't even need a whole one. Thank goodness since I don't like beer either. My mom said she would sit down with a small glass of wine. I don't have the supply issues with my daughter but she doesn't like her head covered to nurse. She bites instead of pinches. I've kind of given up on getting too worried about what others think when I'm nursing.

Annette- I love what your son said to people. My boy will come out of his room and tell me his sister needs to eat because she is crying. They do not appreciate the noise from the little one. :)

Back to nursing in public... I have found a t-shirt lifted works for me. This way the kiddo is blocking my belly (which I have more of an issue showing off than my breasts) and the shirt covers the top of the breast that seems to be what draws attention. I think I must live in a nice area for breast feeding too because I don't think I've ever gotten that much attention. The comments on here suprised me. Oh, and nursing bras without underwires. I found the underwires to pinch and seem to interfere with my milk production.

Good luck. Just remember to do what works for you and your kid. All the other stuff might work for someone else but not necessarily for you. The most important thing is that you and the baby are healthy. So long as baby is progressing and you are comfortable, all is good.

~"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
— Oscar Wilde~
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2011 :  7:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Katrina are you sure you are wearing the correct cup size, when you have had underwires pinch? Cause I have never had one that fits properly pinch me. Most women though I think think they need a larger brand size and smaller cup then what they are, cause most people don't know that bras come larger then a DD or DDD I get a I cup, and a 38 band and I don't have a problem at all with pinching. However, a too tight cup will cause pinching with out a doubt!

Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  1:29:59 PM  Show Profile
Katrina: My husband and I are trying to move somewhere near Flathead Lake. It's good to know that the area seems to be good for nursing in public, where we are living right now is just awful! I love the Great Lakes and will miss them dearly when we move but hopefully being near Flathead it won't be so bad although it won't be the same. Oh and I just found out alfalfa helps cleanse the blood too, alfalfa is an amazing herb!!!

Heather: I wonder if I was wearing the wrong size because I do have pinching under my arms. I hate buying stuff online so I went into Motherhood Maternity and when I was measured they measured me even smaller than the size I was currently wearing. I ended up not even buying one that day instead I went to walmart and bought a regular bra in the size that was more comfortable. I looked up online to measure and came up with a bigger size than the people at MM but it still pinched under my arms. Any tips on getting a good fit?

Mothers are those wonderful people who can get up in the morning before the smell of coffee. ~Author Unknown

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2011 :  4:22:31 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, Motherhood has the smallest cups in the world, I swear! It's really terrible! None of their bras fit me.

I went to the store that Oprah suggested in Manhattan, NYC, called My Intimacy it was amazing. Not all sizes are the same either! Each bra company makes different shaped cups and such and so no two companies will fit the exact same way or you need the exact same size, so it's a little difficult if you have never been correctly fitted. Once you have had a bra that fits correctly I think it's easier cause then you know how it should feel so you know if one doesn't fit right. I wanted to say that about different companies and cup shapes, because My Intimacy does NOT measure you! You go into a dressing room an d they have you take your shirt and bra off, if you are larger cupped they will kind of cup your breast with their hands to get a basic feel of the shape of breast you have (every on is different) then they choose a brand that makes cups that best flatter and fit your shape of breast, and they are really good at just eyeing what size you need. They've been doing it for a long time, and even are the ones who fit the Queen of England. So...they know their stuff pretty well. Then they just go and into the shop and bring back the bras and fit you in them, they usually can get it spot on the first time, but if not they just go back out and come back with the right size based on what the first ones lacked in fitting.

When I had DD, I went back to My Intimacy and they only sold Anita brand for large cup nursing bras, it didn't go up to my size. I think she went up to a H. My Intimacy did NOT try to pressure me into too small of a cup though she just apologized for not having the size I needed and wished me well in finding one. Any way, I seen Nordstrom's sold Elomi which was the other large cup nursing bra on the market so I went there. They did not keep the cup size I needed in nursing bras in the store though and the lady tried to convince me I was a G cup! It was pinching like all get out! I just refused to take her pressure and told her she could cause me to have plugged ducts! She kept on though. I got a little upset cause what if the next woman isn't as size savvy and takes her advice and compromises her milk supply?!?!? UHG! However, they did have regular Elmoi's in my size, from those I tried on a few till I got what I thought was the right size, then I ordered from Bare Necessities online in my size of Elomi nursing bras.I LOVE the elomi's! They are costly though! The same price as Goddess though, I used Goddess with DD1 and they were 50 each and would break down in about 2 to 3 months cause they didn't come in underwire. The weight of my breast with out a underwire breaks down the heavy fabric they use underneath and causes the band to gape and finally my breast to sag. So I didn't want to go through that again with DD2. So I did some searches online and that's how I found Anita and Elomi.

Any way, I must say Elomi has been awesome! I have worn the ones I bought for a year now and so far awesome wear. Even better then my Bella Donna bras (not for nursing) that cost 100 dollars each! However, they are also about 50 dollars each as well. Not bad for a bra in my size. However, Anne who I am about to tell you about charges around 100 dollars (when all is said and done with kits, class, fabrics, etc etc) to teach a class on bra making and makes a pattern specifically to fit you! And will continue to help you a life time of refitting as you need. She says once you take the class you should be able to make your own bra for approx 15 dollars. Which is awesome. Also just as a little FYI just like your nose and ears, your breast grow all your life, so you will always need to adjust your size through your life as well. So all the more reason I think taking Anne's class would be valuable to me, or any one who sews. I plan on taking it with in the next year or so.

Now then all that being said, if you can't make it to NYC, lol call this woman- http://ndlnookfab.blogspot.com/

If you sew she can help you make your bra to fit YOU! She's a genious. She is here where I live but she travels all over the world teaching bra making courses. She may be coming to your area. If she isn't coming to your area, she may know some one in your area that she trust that could help you. If you don't sew, she may be able to advice you we here to go to be measured (she only trust certain people) and she
also makes bras for people who do not sew. However, she has to have the RIGHT measurements, and prefers to have the person in person so she can do fittings to your body.

I'm not sure how it would work out exactly but I know she does this a lot, and I think she would be your best bet. Her name is Anne.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Jul 18 2011 8:04:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2011 :  12:25:36 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by countrymommy85
I do have another question. I was very shy about nursing in public, neither kid wanted to be covered and I got stared at relentlessly. I would cry about it because I'm thinking hasn't anyone ever seen a baby nurse before? I just think if the person giving me a problem won't eat their dinner in a bathroom, why should my baby?! But when it comes down to it, how do I beat that feeling of embarrassment over something so natural?

In a nutshell? Work on developing a thicker skin. You're a mama bear protecting (and feeding) her cubs, screw the people that think a bottle (which, ahem, looks like a different kind of sexual prop if you think about it) is more "natural" that breastmilk fresh from the tap. And the more your kids and other people see a mother somewhat discretely nursing (I have my moments of being partly discreet), the more normal people will see it as being. My kids see it as totally normal since that's all they've seen, and the older ones have all nursed past 2yo (babe is still 17mo, haven't hit the 2-year mark yet).

If there's not a LLL near you, check around and see if there's any natural/crunchy/hippie type mom's groups around. Odds are there's some kind of support group somewhere. I know there's apparently a good LC at our local hospital, my midwife's office has a bf'ing support group, and so on. You can even troll your local farmer's market and see if you come across similar kindred spirits. And my area is small and fairly conservative to boot, so if I can find things here after poking around, odds are you can find something, too. :)

As for actually NIP'ing the first time... it's like canning. Or gardening. Or homeschooling. The first time seems like a huge, big deal and you freak out about it. Then you do it, you take the plunge. And you're like "what the heck was I worried about?" It took me until my oldest (now 7.5yo) was 9mo until I NIP'd the first time. I've been flashing people ever since (I had a few months break from nursing back in 2006, but that's it - these poor girls have been in use for a long while).

I've even nursed a few-week-old on my left arm, in the lobby of a somewhat busy bank, while signing loan papers with my right hand. Or while wearing a little tiger in a mei tai while we were trick-or-treating the downtown streets last year, escorting a dragon, bumblebee and pumpkin. Or last week I was nursing my 17mo while he was in a pouch sling on my side while the kids and I were finishing up a grocery shopping trip. If I get a funny look, I just stare back. That's about it.

As for a few other things... I don't know how old your older children are. But if they're still fairly young, I'd suggest since household upkeep worried you before, find a mother's helper or once a week or once a month housekeeper to ease that burden. You don't have to think of it as a permanent thing, just something to help you get through this season of life. I have a friend watch my kids every once in a while so I can get caught up on things around the house - mine are 7.5yo, 5yo, 3yo and 17mo, so some are more of a hindrance to weeding or canning or prepping homeschool plans than help.

Keeping up your milk supply. Drink tons and tons of water. Things like fenugreek and oatmeal and brewer's yeast can help up milk supply. Some folks I know have used Reglan or Domperidone (prescriptions).

When you nursed once on each side. Did you offer each breast again? Especially during growth spurts, babies will practically be another appendage they'll be nursing. so. much. So there have been times where a babe drains the left one, drains the right one, starts in on the left one again, manages to get a second letdown, and same on the right one again. So having some way to keep the older ones entertained may be decent concern.

My boys were also kind of fussier nursers than my girl. My girl would latch on and just hang out until milk came out. My boys? If there wasn't milk in their mouths within the second, they'd pop off and scream like their world was ending. The sucky part was that the more they did this, the longer my letdowns would take. Sigh.

The problem that you may run into with supplementing is that breastmilk is supply and demand. The more you have your child nursing, the more milk your body (should know to) make. The more you supplement, the less milk your body makes, a vicious circle. I know some gals love the LLL book, I've also heard good things about The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It's been so long since I've looked at those books I can't remember, I'm sorry.

And fwiw, I had a horrible, no good time nursing my oldest at first. He was kidnapped to the NICU where they bottlefed him despite us being strongly against that. It took me a solid three weeks of pumping day and night and feeding him breastmilk in bottles after first offering the breast until just after three weeks old he finally latched on. After that he decided the milk was better straight from the tap, and yay! He went on to wean at... 27mo I think? Even my midwife (that I had for the births of #2, #3, #4) was impressed at all the crud I'd dealt with and how it all ended up. I've also nursed through two entire pregnancies, that was an experience, and also tandem nursed for something like 9-11 months (I can't remember anymore - this last year has been a blur).

If you need any ideas, help brainstorming, or just encouragement, feel free to track me down and send a message or email or something. I'm not on here very often, but I do believe I get messages when things are updated or pm's are sent. :)

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys and growing a new little sprout - born at home in a creative place Feb 2010
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic Nursing advice Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page