Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Bucks Co. PA Farmgirls...or nearby..HELP!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bucks Co. PA Farmgirls...or nearby..HELP!!!!! Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  07:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Hi Pennsylvania farmgirls! My husband and I are thinking of taking our little one, Violet, to Sesame Place, in Langhorne, PA for a combined summer vacation/10th anniversary trip in August. We would like to spend several days there, visiting the theme park and the surrounding area, full of history.

Has anyone ever been to Sesame Place Theme Park? Our little one is CRAZY about Sesame Street and at 2 1/2, this seems like a good time to take her somewhere.

What about lodging? What about the area's history? Are there state lodges or parks to stay in nearby?

I'm trying to be budget conscious, and have never been to that area of the country, so any help you can give would be MUCH appreciated!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  08:26:35 AM  Show Profile
jonni-i'm in michigan- have never been to that specific area-but try googling langhorne- look for the chamber of commerce and request info---i am certain your email and or post box can get full of info and brochures- usually there will be info re; camping and im sure sesame place also has info....
hth! sounds fun!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  09:09:19 AM  Show Profile
I did some of that, but it's a little overwhelming, Penny! It does sound really fun, and we haven't been on vacation since our first year being married 10 years ago. This will be our 10th wedding anniversary, my husbands 39th birthday and our a treat for our litte one all rolled into one trip!

From what I've read, the Sesame Place seems to take about 2 days, but the proximity is VERY close to Bucks County and Philadelphia with all the early American history sites. And, of course, we'll need to get a cheesesteak from a local street vendor!!!!

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni -

I don't know how far you want to venture from the Langhorne area, but Langhorne is only about 35 miles from the Lancaster County/Amish area. There is a lot do to and see there, both historical and attractions such as the Strasburg Railroad, Dutch Wonderland amusement park, buggy rides, Amish villages to visit with petting zoo's etc. There are also several theaters with live shows.
I can give you more info if you are interested. I spend a lot of time in that area.

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile
I'm from Phila. and we took our GD there for her 4th birthday several years ago. We had FUN and did most of the park in one day. Bring a change of clothes because there is water stuff there. They did have lockers. There were characters out. We really enjoyed the parade (and my GD thought the parade was "her birthday parade.") You are a couple of hours from downtown Philly. Try a Philly pretzel too, if you can. There's lots to do there. If you want to e-mail me, I'll try to help more. Have fun, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  11:00:56 AM  Show Profile
Awesome! Thanks, Luanne and Joey! I'd really love some more information--I thought we might be close to the Lancaster area, and we never mind travelling from our "home" spot when on vacation. I like to see all kinds of things!

Joey, I'm so glad to hear a good recommendation about Sesame Place. I knew a lot of rides were water related, and that's great, because our little "Pisces" fish is a water hog! I read mixed reviews for kids younger than 4, but other people said that their 2 and 3 year olds had a blast. The parade was a "must do" but there was also something about breakfast with the characters...

I will email you both, and thanks so much!!!

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  11:49:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni -

Try these websites for Lancaster County:

padutch.com or padutchcountry.com

We always stay at the Smoketown Inn on Route 896 in Smoketown, PA. They are reasonably priced; however they are more like a small inn than a hotel - no pool, game room,etc. - just your basic bed and shower! Here's their website also: smoketownmotorlodge.com.

If you need any other info, please let me know!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  12:42:49 PM  Show Profile
That's great to know! I really appreciate the lodging reference, too. Whenever we're on vacation, unless it's the beach, I don't plan on spending much time in the room--at the beach, a great beach house is a necessity! For everything else, as long as the potty's clean, I'm a happy camper!

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, there's no camping in that area, it's not country. I grew up there, moved away 28 years ago, and they are still building stores, hotels and fast food places. It is on US1 and is closer to Trenton, New Jersey than to downtown Philadelphia.

It is hot there in August. The humidity can be higher than the temperature. Stay one night in a chain hotel nearby, have the complementary breakfast, then travel on. After spending a day outdoors, Mother deserves it. Buy yourself a big soft pretzel at Oxford Valley Mall nextdoor. Go native-- don't forget the mustard.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  9:25:45 PM  Show Profile
Since it was my GD birthday we did have breakfast with the characters. The food was just "OK" but each of the character stopped by each table and we took pics and Brook still talks about that and the parade. The "Count" snuck up behind me and suprised me and I screamed and jumped and everyone thought it was so funny. We all talk about that too.
You are much closer to Trenton, NJ than you are Philly but it's worth the trip. Have fun! Joey

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Alright...this is taking shape. Thanks so much for all your input. NOW, I have yet another question!?

My best friend, Jess, lives in Brooklyn (NY) and we were thinking we might meet up since it's about an hour and 1/2 away. Where can we meet "midway" between Trenton and Brooklyn that's a lovely little town with good, independent restaurants. Any ideas?

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 12 2011 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile
I would ask your friend first. It will be much easier for you to get to the place chosen than for her, since she has to go to the other side of Manhattan.
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  4:57:31 PM  Show Profile
Princeton, NJ is about 20 to 30 minutes away from Trenton..but may be a little pricey. There are good coffee shops, Small World Coffee, which is a local shop. You can get sandwiches and other food there. If you like ice cream, there's Thomas Sweets and The Bent Spoon, which are homemade ice creams (excellent!). There are many eateries at different price ranges. Lawrenceville is closer to Trenton, about 15 minutes away, but much smaller. There's TJ's Pizza (really good!)with other food, not just pizza. There a couple of little cafes, also. Everything is located across the Lawrenceville Prep School. Note: If your friend is taking a train, there's a station at Princeton Junction. Now, if you meet in Trenton, you can go to Lambertville, NJ, which is about 30 minutes away if you go Route 29 South (?..I think). If you like antiques, charming little eateries, charming old homes located right along the Delaware River, I think you'd really like it. There's a bridge there... you can walk across the river and be in New Hope, PA, Bucks County. Another cool little place. Then, there's Hopewell, NJ...located about 20 minutes from Trenton, going inward west. Charming little town with antique shops, a good coffee shop and a couple of places to eat, but not too many.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  10:57:57 PM  Show Profile
Went to New Hope, NJ for part of out honeymoon..nice places to eat..shops..started my fiestaware collection there in 1974. You can have great ice cream and maybe a mule towing your boat up the barge. Just a fun place. Joey

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9399 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9399 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  08:36:15 AM  Show Profile
Hey Jonni!
You will love Sesame Place. I live in Jersey and we took our kids there when they were young.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  08:41:13 AM  Show Profile
Judy, I used to live in northeast Philly, and often would drive up to Flemington, NJ, either through Pennington or on route 29 to Lambertville. I haven't been there since I moved here in '82. Do they still have the shopping village? We ate lunch at the hotel in town, across the street from the courthouse.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile
This is really great--thanks, girls. I think we're going try to go up to the camp where my friend teaches dance in the summers, on Long Island, called Usdan, in Wheatley Heights, in addition to meeting up during the week for dinner in Lambertville, New Hope or Princeton. http://www.usdan.com/

I'm super excited...simply to get away, too. Can't wait to start looking into lodging and things of that sort. We haven't been on a vacation in YEARS!

Very happy about Sesame Place. I think we're going to have so much fun just watching Violet have fun. She's really such joy!

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  09:52:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni!

Years ago I lived in that area, my husband worked across the street from Sesame Place, and I worked in the office building at the end of the block. I'm with the other girls...go to Sesame Place but also go into the Amish area. Word of advice, go "off the beaten path", outside of the "tourist" spots of Lancaster county in the Amish area, take a drive through the true Amish farmlands for a "farmgirl vacation". We did that when my daughter was four, and it was so much fun. The Amish put signs out front of their farms if they have wares to sell, and are usually pretty nice and open to "English". I bought a quilt from one farm that would have been three times the price in the heart of the tourist area, an amazing corn broom, and a wooden bucket that is a piece of art! Oh! And the food! Heaven!! Eat some shoo fly pie for me! Have fun!

Oh, and Princeton is nice, but pricey. New Hope is fun, and artsy, not quite as pricey as Princeton but very quaint. Have fun!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  10:34:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Jonni! I'm from NE Phila,- your little one will love Sesame Place! My kids are too old now, but it's a full day. Water, rides for all ages.
You talk about going to Amish country too, it's still a good amount of hours away. I'm in the western suburbs now, about 2 hrs north to Oxford (sesame place), but yet over an hour (west of me)
to Lancaster County. I know because my mom lives out that way. It is beautiful out there! Maybe fit it in on your driving route?
Philly is also really great, if not just for the cheesesteaks and pretzels!
Good luck,sounds like a great trip!
----Lisa
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  11:52:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much everyone!
I'm printing this thread off and get a map so that we can sit down and chart out a path. I'm looking for places to stay/proximity, etc...I've heard that Langhorne, where Sesame Place is, isn't the best place to find lodging, but since we're considering on spending time with my friend near Long Island, maybe moving a little more east wouldn't be a big deal.

I love the internet for planning, but I need to see it all spread out in front of me so that I can get out my highlighter!!!

Yes, I think we can fit a whole bunch of things into our visit, especially since we're driving. We love to "get lost" and I think this is going to be really fun.

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  4:25:50 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary, You know..I haven't been up to Flemington in a few years, even though it's not too far from me. The last I went, the village shops were there, but that's all I can tell you. I think not too much has changed, but I'm not sure.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on May 16 2011 4:33:18 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Bucks Co. PA Farmgirls...or nearby..HELP!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page