Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Any California Farmgirls Out There?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Any California Farmgirls Out There? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2011 :  10:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello Betty! I know exactly where you are at. I like it there.
School is out here. My dd (12) is very happy.
I like to crochet, sew, quilt, and embroider. I just learned to knit and tunisian crochet. I also like to garden when the plants live. I have to say I havent had any luck with starting my seeds. They all died. I have had luck in buying plants and keeping them alive. LOL I need to get a hold of our local garden club and ask them what I am doing wrong. I just cannot wait to taste the fruit of my labor.

"What we see depends on what we look for." ~John Lubbock
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  08:55:06 AM  Show Profile
Hello Tina, I know where you're at also. I used to live in Adelanto back in the late 50's early 60's. You like to do the same things I do. What fun it would be to get together one of these days. The idea of having a local chapter seems like fun or at least have a get together somewhere. I have trouble with seeds also. It's the dry air I think. Now I plant them in the little peat pots or the six packs I buy plants in and then put them in a plastic bag. I use the handy zip lock but any bag you can close off will do. Mine will sprout in a few days and when big enough I get them out of the bags and get the used to the drier climate then plant them. I do it with cuttings also. You should see my garden. I grow veggies, iris, roses, cactus and anything that is pretty to look at. I try to get things that don't require a lot of water, like hot weather and can take the wind and cold. We bought here on bare land and now have over 50 trees as well as the gardens. I have chickens and two aviaries with finches, quail, parakeets, and canaries. That's what happens when you're semi retired and have no children at home.
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2011 :  3:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Betty, your gardens sound wonderful!! Good for you!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

gentlewoman farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Judy
Bakersfield Ca
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2011 :  11:08:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi all
I live in Bakersfield. We live on what is called a 1/4 acre. Big back yard really. I have grown lots of vegatables and flowers over the years and at one time had 25 chickens. Hubby and I built a big pen about 15ft X 20ft and had the chicken wire over the top. We have a lot of cats in the neighborhood, and at that time there was a lot of talk about bird flu and I was afraid a bird would fly in my pen and give my chickens the flu. NO, I almost serious about that. Anyway, no cats got to the chickens. We havent done any thing this year, we were going to go off with the 5th wheel in April and maybe stay until last of Oct, so got rid of the chickens and no garden. Here it is June, and we are still at home. May not get off until Oct at this rate. I like to read, knit, crocket, make jelly and jams, and don't boo me, but I like to iron. I steam iron these days, but iron I do. I also like to knit socks. I know, I know, you can put your clothes in the dryer and not have to iron, you can buy socks that fit better and are cheaper, and of course, you can get any jam or jelly cheaper at the store, and a lot cooler than standing over a hot stove. Oh well. But I dont like to dust or vac. Glad to hear Calif is represented at MJF. I have been in all your towns except Gualala. When I was a baby I lived in Paso Robles, SLO, and Mojave. So my mother told me. Hope we can stay in touch. Betty, we head over the police scanner last week there was gas leak in Inyokern. They had to wait for an hour for the gas co (PG&E) to respond. Hope it didnt give you any problems.

Be good to yourself and be good to this earth.
Go to Top of Page

Bohemi-mom
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Cat
Torrance CA
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  07:14:20 AM  Show Profile
A quarter-acre,eh? Lol...I have just begun reading a book by that title, The Quarter-Acre Farm by Spring Warren. It is inspiring me to do what I can with our bit of ground. We live in a rental house in Torrance. Sadly, no chickens or bees (or fun) allowed. If we lived in the neighboring city of Gardena,we could! Zoning laws do not make sense to me sometimes...we've plenty of room. If we lived in the city on the other side, Hermosa Beach, we could have chickens too and it's a postage stamp sized beach community. I suppose folks keep their chickens on the roof! LOL!

Anyway, we dream of moving north someday, whether that works out as all the way to the PNW or only as far as Coastal Central Cali, I don't know. But somewhere where we can have own farmette, with chickens, goats, etc. I'd love to live in a semi-permanent yurt! But I'd settle for a cob cottage or such. I'd rather have a small place on a larger yard, ideally near both shore and woods.

My husband's family has a cabin in Idyllwild. I love it there and just pretend the beach is nearby. (I don't go in for tanning or such, but I love the sea air and still hope to learn to surf someday.) I am not sure how growing things goes when you're on a mountain. The ground seems very hard, and then there's snow,so???

Well, I homeschool my kindy dd, but my little boy has Down Syndrome and attends a local school's special ed room so must dash and get his lunch packed.

Still hoping someone near me joins MJF but glad to meet you all here in Cyber-Cal,
Cat

artsy-litsy kinda flitsy bohemian christian eclectic cottage cleric and fairyteller;
"I don't have social circles;I have social intersections."
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:46:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cat and Judy. Cyber-Cali is almost as good as close in Cali! Knitting socks and making jellies is way netters than storebought. There is not self-gratification is a quick run to the store. No chickens for either of you!:( I'm sorry! We are layering on Saturday...new chicks! Only four though, my kids all want one to name and call their own...for a while anyway.
I'm glad you gals hoped on here!

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

desertwillow
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Betty
Inyokern California
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  09:51:37 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Judy for the concern. The gas leak wasn't near us as we're so far out we have to use propane. It had to be east of us closer to Ridgecrest or right in town (population 970) We shop a lot in Bakersfield as my hubby's daughter and her family live there and we don't have anything in Inyokern except PO and country store and a couple of Mexican restaraunts. Ridgecrest is close (15miles) but they don't have any big shopping as far as malls or department stores. We do have Walmart and Kmart and the usual pharmacy's and such. Cat you can grow a lot in a back yard. Square foot gardening works really well in that department. I'm blessed with 2 1/5 acres of desert soil that makes gardening a challenge but I have a fabulous view of the Sierra mountains since we live just a mile off 395 which runs right along the base of the mountains.
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2011 :  7:40:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Saying hello to my special Cali-sisters!!! How are y'all doing?

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7603 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7603 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2013 :  7:25:20 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to say to hi to my California sisters even if you are on the other end. I am up here by Eureka, but it is nice to know you all are out there.
Have a wonderful Saturday evening.
hugs
darlene from the North Coast.

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  5:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Northern Cali!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7603 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7603 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2013 :  8:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Marcia

Where in Northern Ca is Gerber?
I live in Loleta up by Eureka.

Hi Annette and Betty.
Have a wonderful evening and enjoy the bright full moon that is out there.
hugs
darlene

I have learned that to have a good friend is the purest of all God's gifts, for it is a love that has no exchange of payment.
by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page

cindymac
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Cindy
Bakersfield California
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi all you California Ladies! I was just wondering about other Cali Farmgirls, I'm in Bakersfield on about a 1/3 acre lot in the NW part of town. I grew up on a small 10 acre ranch and we had all kinds of animals, steers, sheep, goats, chickens, dogs and one bad tempered pinto pony! Now I just have dogs (too many) and we always put in a garden, I do like working in my yard. We try to be as organic as we can in both our garden and in what we purchase. I like to sew but I am a novice at it. It's a beautiful day today, hope it is wherever you are too.
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7603 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7603 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2013 :  5:21:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cindy
I am way up here in Loleta about 12 miles from Eureka up in the Redwood Country.
Have a good evening.
darlene

by Frances Farmer

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.

I trust in you Jesus...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Any California Farmgirls Out There? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page