Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Fabric suggestions for Warm Skirts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric suggestions for Warm Skirts Next Topic  

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  11:32:33 AM  Show Profile
My friend will be serving a mission for our church in the Milwaukee area. They are required to wear skirts or dresses.

I told her I would make her a couple of skirts. They have to be 4 inches below the knee and should be made of conservative fabrics. Besides a lined wool skirt, can you think of other fabrics that might help keep her cozy in the cold winters? Also, has anyone tried a pattern they really liked? If so, would you be willing to tell me the brand and number of it? She wants them to have a waist band and they can't be tight pencil like skirts.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  11:45:15 AM  Show Profile
I have a flannel slip that i made to wear under my skirts for the winter. I also bought a pair os stocking tights! If it is extremely cold I wear my long johns underneath also. You gotta do what you can to stay warm!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  12:05:09 PM  Show Profile
i agree about the long johns! i wear a lon black skirt sio i bought a pair of brand new black ones last winter-menards had sets really cheap!!!! i kept the pants JUST for under my skirt....
actually a few dark solid skirts would be wonderful- a navy a black a brown or a grey? then she could add a simple patterned sweater or blouse....

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  12:32:26 PM  Show Profile
I have been making Simplicity 9825, the flared view. I like it because is doesn't have a lot of bulk at the waist from gathers, but it still has fulness. You can check it out on Simplicity's website.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  1:20:13 PM  Show Profile
I would make her a flannel slip as well (they are super easy to make!). And suggest the tights and long john's as well, that's what I do.

That being said I really like corduroy as well. I would do at least one wool (I love plaids!), and a corduroy, and a dark denim-I like dark blue. For the cord you could do a chocolate brown to give her a bit more variety or camel brown. You could also consider a lined twill.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  1:25:05 PM  Show Profile
Corduroy is my favorite, too and it comes in different weights.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  1:51:38 PM  Show Profile
Oh corduroy would be perfect as its so warm....heavy denim also.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  3:07:41 PM  Show Profile
Me too gals, I JUST love my cord skirts! Favorites! ;o) For sure get the heavy weight! Can also line it in flannel for extra warmth. I like the softness of them, and LOVE that they are wash and wear. And almost any blouse/sweater looks great with it. And it being a skirt you don't have to worry about the noise factor like you do with cord pants and such. lol I also practically live in my denim skirts too though. lol

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on May 05 2011 3:08:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  6:40:35 PM  Show Profile
Try the Victorian Walking Skirt from Folkwear. It has a waist band and soft gathers at the back and can be cut long or street length. It is one of my staple patterns and has been for more than 20 yrs.
http://www.folkwear.com/209.html I make it with a zipper in the back instead of the placket.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  7:28:35 PM  Show Profile
I wear dresses and skirts most of the time. I bought several pairs of leggings which I wear under them. Then I just wear knee socks! Stay toasty warm and comfy too!

I have a black skirt that is made from a sweatshirt type of fabric which I like. But really, with the leggings (because I refuse to spend money on nylons and tights are just... tight) I stay warm and people rarely know I have them on.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  9:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Has any one tried these knee socks? I think I will buy them for this winter-
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/products/country-clothing/Women-Socks-and-Hosiery/Merino-Over-the-Knee-Socks.html?evar3=browse

I was also considering these leg warmers-
http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/products/country-clothing/Women-Socks-and-Hosiery/Leg-Warmers.html?evar3=browse

Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  05:18:02 AM  Show Profile
I get cotton tights for work at
www.warmlegwear.com.
They also have wool tights, but it does not get that cold in Texas! ( Maybe just for a few days, it does!)

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  07:29:43 AM  Show Profile
Wow, thanks girls. I knew you would know what to do!!!! Cathy, I have ordered the Simplicity pattern you suggested. I am thinking that in addition to the skirts, I will give her a couple of pairs of tights and leg warmers too. Thanks, Heather for reminding me about Vermont Country Store. They are great for this kind of thing. I'm thinking she might like one of those nice flannel nighties.

As far as fabric goes, I think you girls have helped me make a decision. I'm going to make her three skirts. I think a lined wool is a staple for winter. I am also thinking of doing a flannel lined corduroy skirt and a light weight cotton one for summer.

Since ya'll were so good at inspiring me, how about craft ideas to send to her and my son (who is serving a mission in Sn Antonio) that will inspire and encourage them while they do the Lord's work?????

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  08:01:03 AM  Show Profile
I think the flannel night gowns are a little expensive, if you have time to make them on your own they can be a lot cheaper. And I've heard quite easy to make I am going to try to make some. They have some pretty flannel now a days too. But, if you can afford Vermont's I'm sure they are good quality!

As for crafts, ones for you to do to send them or for them to do? I like embroidered towels and pillow cases either way! lol

Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile
Heather.....I honestly did not even think of making her one. TeeHee. That would be fun. I could make one for my daughter's Christmas too. Ohhhhh and I could make a flannel robe for my son's Christmas.

By crafts I mean some little somethings that have inspirational sayings or things that will make them smile. Serving these missions take them away from their families for up to two years. I want to send things that will help them feel connected with home and show them that we love them and think about them often.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  12:00:33 PM  Show Profile
I would for sure go for the towels and pillow cases then, cause every time I use the ones my grandmother made me I feel so loved!

Sounds like you have a excellent gift list.

I can't remember if it's Joanns or Hancocks, but I'm leaning towards it being Joanns has flannel on sale for 2.99 a yard. They usually have some pretty cute ones to choose from.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on May 06 2011 12:01:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  12:07:17 PM  Show Profile
Here's the pattern I'm going to use it's for nursing, but it can be made for non nursing women too! lol http://www.elizabethlee.com/patterns/nc104.htm

You will not find 60 inch flannel. However, she includes conversions for 45 inch but it won't be as gathered. HOWEVER, I am only 4'8 tall! So what I did was looked for flannel that would look good vertical or horizontal (greatly reduced my selections, but I did find some! Think forals) And I'm just going to use the 45 inches for length instead of 60 inches, I hope that makes sense. Any way, I know there was a yoke and sleeves that were higher up and wouldn't effect the 45 inch material. Any way, I am not sure if I am explaining myself right, but I figured I didn't need more then 45 inches below the yoke part since I am only 56 inches tall from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet, and I don't think head and neck height figures into night gown length! lol I think 40-42 inches (by the time the salvage is taken off and the seem allowances/hem allowances) is plenty of length below the yoke for me only being 56 inches tall. Cause if I take my head/neck height that has to be at least 8 inches, so that takes it down to 48 inches right there, and then the yoke probably is a good 3 to 4 inches (I haven't measured yet), so that takes it down to only 44 inches, and it doesn't have to be dragging the ground! lol Having it a few inches off the floor-by my calculations for my height that would at most only be 4 inches off the floor. At MOST, probably less then that in actuality.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on May 06 2011 12:14:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  5:54:30 PM  Show Profile
When my son was on his mission I sent him an afghan I made. Kind of like a little hug from home.

Kim
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Fabric suggestions for Warm Skirts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page