lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  9:21:11 PM  Show Profile
I have always dreamed of having my own business. I am not real crafty, but I know how to crochet. So, I have started on a lap thorw, thought maybe I might try to sell it. I have bought bunches of craft books. I am going to teach myself to sew, I think. Then, I was browsing on the internet, ran up on a lady's site, and I just signed up to be a Melalueca preferred customer, and start a little business that way. I am not sure how well it will work out, but I think that it sounds pretty good, if I can get it going. I have several little projects running through my head, and eventually I will get to all of them. I thought that I would get a few things done, and then try my hand at something like Etsy. I would like to eventually be able to work more from home than away from home, and hopefully I am getting started in the right direction!

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  9:23:13 PM  Show Profile
Melissa -- anything that you do which moves you towards your dream is a step in the right direction. Just keep trying things until you find the one that works for you. Sometimes I think that it is always a work in progress. I've been doing this for 4 years and am still coming up with new ideas all the time!

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  05:52:59 AM  Show Profile
Good for you, Melissa! I just bought something from Aunt Jenny's Etsy shop (thanks, Aunt Jenny! can't wait!) and it *totally* got me excited about starting up my own shop too. I've got a million ideas brewing and feel like the energy is here, now, just want to dive in. So today I'm making a list of all of the things I want to finish or make and I'm just going to do it! Just like you! I just did some custom-made thank you cards for my sister and put my Etsy shop on the back of the cards with a note "items available on web site fall 2006." So I guess I have a "deadline!"

Good luck, Melissa!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  07:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you better get busy, Catherine! I guess a list is a good idea. I have all these ideas floating in my head, but a list would be great. I do tend to forget since I had my kids! Ya know, I had never thought about making custom cards. I have a fancy software for pictures, cards, calendars and other things. I hardly ever use it, I guess I could play with it and see what I come up with! Thanks! Another to add to my "list".
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  5:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, Melissa!! Can't wait to see your things!!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

lovejanet
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Janet
La Canada California
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  4:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa,
Congrats on getting started. I love to make all kinds of things, all the time. I am quite a loner, so I like to keep busy.
Luckily I have a husband who supports me and encourages me to be creative.
There are soo many things out there to try. You may end up becoming involved in many different crafts, or you may decide to stick to one thing. Either way, good luck and welcome!

love, janet
http://www.lovejanet.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  03:49:28 AM  Show Profile
Hey Melissa, wish we were closer........I have that bug too, but I'm too chicken. And I feel that it is too risky at 51 to even think about it. And besides I really don't have a business head on my shoulders. But if I had company, such as yourself, I might consider it. That is why I say I wish we lived closer!!!

But at any rate, good luck, I know you can do it!!

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  05:37:09 AM  Show Profile
That bug must be biting all over the place, Georgette! I have been trying to be brave enough to make the leap as well. Melissa, I wish you well in your new adventure. Keep us posted as to how it goes for you! Patience and persistance are both needed in these types of ventures.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  06:43:09 AM  Show Profile
I wish that I afford to take a really big leap, and quite my 2 jos, and start my own business. I am not that brave. I have 2 small kids, and alot of bills. I have several different ideas for businesses I would like to open, maybe one of these days. See, my problem is that I have a good head for business, give me taxes, paperwork, payroll, and I am in heaven. However, I am not imaginative or creative with crafts. I am a little better now than I used to be, maybe it is coming with age. Georgette, if you ever get the hankerin for Kentucky life, move on down here and you can be the creator, I can have the head for business!! Karin, you to!

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  06:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey the three of us could go into business together......I am older and my kids are all grown, so you younguns could spend time with your families and I could watch the shop!! But not be totally responsible for it....!! Geez, it would work all the way around

Lets all of us move to a new location!!! Hardy-har-har.....

"There is a voice that doesn't use words........Listen."
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  12:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I wouldn't mind the move too terribly much, but Kentucky is great. I don't know if I would like anywhere else any better. My mom would kill me if I tried to take her grandkids though. So, I guess you are just going to have to pack up and join me and Frannie here in Kentucky! If you make it fast, you could get to Frannie's September get together!

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic I am going to try Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page