Mrs Tiggywinkle
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Sara
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  9:08:26 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to go visit my Mom's farm in VA for 2 wks! So excited! I love visiting there- although I usually pick better seasons to visit

It's not really "my" farm, since I didn't grow up there, & live across the country in WA state, but I love visiting & messing around. People ask what I "do" while I'm there, and I kind of get this glazed look on my face. It's more like I "be" there, than "do." I mean, sitting around drinking coffee, chatting & going to sit in the creek aren't exactly a big time to most folks.

I wish my mom were on the web; she loves the MJF book that I sent her last Christmas, and is a real old-timey farm-girl with lots of experience.

I'll see what words of wisdom & little tricks I can bring back- definitely want to take pix & do diagrams of her "self-closing gate." You'll love that one!

The big event this time is that she's put her farm (100+ acres) into a conservancy, & that'll be finalized on the 20th while I'm there. Basically it means that while the farm may be sold, it can never be developed. She's also gotten it on the historical register, which helps protect against eminent domain issues. (It's in the Shenandoah Valley, where there's LOTS of development.)

Anyway, wanted to share my excitement- and I'll be back with stories & pix! I'm planning to bring my gardening gloves this time & help with weeding the historical & species irises. (She's a test/demo garden for the society, among other things.)
Love, Sara

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  03:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Sara,
Look forward to seeing the pictures when you get back, sounds like you are going to have a good time and your Mom sounds like quite a girl, make sure when you post your pictures we get to see one of you and your Mom. Have Fun.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  05:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Sara- Your mom sounds like an absolute wonder!! What a smart cookie to put her land into a conservancy- I think more people need to do that. I can picture your smiling face as you get ready to go see her. I hope you have a wonderful time and I can't wait to see pictures!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  08:04:20 AM  Show Profile
How fun to hear from you Sara...havn't seen you here in a while! I bet you will have a wonderful time at the farm...what a fun place (thanks to your mom) it sounds like. I can hardly wait to hear and see what it is like. I agree with Nancy..be sure to post a pic of you and your mom together!! Have a great time!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  4:19:25 PM  Show Profile
Sara,

How wonderful to have such a place to go visit. Your mom sounds really cool. Look forward to your pictures and the diagram of the gate.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2006 :  8:10:57 PM  Show Profile
I wish they would conserve farm land around here. My town is growing so quickly, I am ready to move. Unfortunately, tat isn't an option. I just keep wonderin who is going to move into all these homes and apartments,our roads can't take much mor, if they are going to use our land up, build a store, we have slim pickins in that department.

www.kaintuck.blogspot.com
http://melissac.stayinhomeandlovinit.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  10:04:29 PM  Show Profile
Sara - how did the visit go? The farm sounds like such a wonderful place to be - I can't wait to hear about your time there...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic I'm off to the farm! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page