Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 How to start a farm business?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How to start a farm business? Next Topic  

kentuckywoman
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  08:04:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi!

My fiance and I are in the early planning phase of starting a farm and want to make it into a legal entity so that we may apply for a Beginner Farmers Loan from the FSA and various grants. He has been in beekeeping since a small boy and is so wonderful at it! His father has a beekeeping and honey home business but we want to branch out on our own to offer other things too, like fiber, niche grains and heirloom and biodynamic fruits and vegetables.

We are unsure as to how we should structure the business- LLC, sole proprietorship, etc? It would just be us, no other investors or partners.

Also, does anyone have any advice about what the next steps are, or how difficult it is to get the Beginner Farmers loan? I have done grantwriting before and want to try to write some as soon as we get this started up. Do we need to have a location already chosen for the farm before we can get a loan? He has perfect credit and plenty of good, documented experience on farming, and I have the passion and have studied and learned about agricultural and homesteading skills over the past five years or so.

Any advice at all will be wonderful!

Edited by - kentuckywoman on Apr 29 2011 08:04:52 AM

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  3:39:03 PM  Show Profile
I've been looking at getting a USDA loan to purchase a "hobby farm" and opening up a business in a shop building on property as a side thing. Hope someone has some info for you, because I'd like to know more too!

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  5:46:06 PM  Show Profile
I know from a bad experience that if you structure it properly and have it as a LLC you are completely protected from liability.

We hired a construction company to add an addition to our house. They caused some major damage to the original structure and the rooms in the new addition aren't tall enough to pass inspection for living quarters. They are only good for storage rooms and we have to have nearly $10,000 dollars of repair work done now.

They are list as a LLC, so only what is listed as actual business property is available to be sued. That amounts to a box of business cards, some notebooks with the company letterhead on them, and $86 in the business account.

He makes sure that he puts only the daily expenses in his business account and that all equipment and such is in his wifes name.

Talk to a lawyer and they can explain how to juggle everything so no one can sue you for any reason with the LLC thing.

I just wish this guy wasn't such a creep. We got took for a bad ride.

At least it left me with a better understanding of the legal side of business.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  11:18:11 AM  Show Profile
Please be sure to check with an accountant!! There are legal aspects to an LLC. . . and you need to be sure you are filing all the right papers, fees, etc etc. Also, things vary state to state. . . just because your registered as an LLC does not exempt you from a lawsuit.
There is a lot to each one of your options and you really need to get a professionals input on all of this.

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  4:20:27 PM  Show Profile
Hi Majal! I don't have much tax advice, as we hire an accountant, but I'm not too far away from you! :)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kentuckywoman
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

Majal
Ashland KY
USA
63 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  09:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice so far!

Megan-- I think I'm even closer than what my profile info says! We are living in Versailles right now! We have been looking at locations for the farm a little east of Lexington, but still aren't sure of a spot yet. We are hoping for around 20-30+ acres, an older farmhouse, and farm buildings in decent shape on the property. If you have any ideas of anything out in your area, pass them along!

Also, I checked out your blog and loved it! I'll definitely be keeping up with it! I want to start one when we get onto the farm for sure.
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic How to start a farm business? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page