Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 help with kid colostrum bottles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic help with kid colostrum bottles Next Topic  

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  5:50:39 PM  Show Profile
well ebony is kicking the dickens out of the new buck. he was screaming crying shaking cold. mama wants him to get up and get going. well he cant. weak legs and body. so i need to know how much colostrum to feed in a bottle for him. he is all body and legs. so he is in the house wrapped in a heating pad. i hated to take him. but my neighbor who has done many calves believed this little boy needed to be taken. i know it is natural for mom to get baby up. well baby is very weak i think from birthing. so how much colostrum how often. i have a bottle and nipple. sherrye learning as i go

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye sorry to hear Mommy is not doing her job but you will be a wonderful caretaker. When you are saying Colostrum are you giving that or are you giving formula??? The colostrum is only about 2 ounces but if it is formula then let him drink what he will which is usually no more then an ounce at first every hour then I add another ounces to the two hour feedings and so on. If he is really weak let him be warm and keep quite so he can gather his strength. Wait for the sticky poop to make sure his tummy is working and also count how long after he drinks that he pee's. It should take no more then a half hour - if longer he is not drinking enough and you need to make sure that his kidneys are not shutting down.

I will check in on this thread to see how things is going and please let us know any changes so we can help. He is a great little house guest and I know you already love him. Hugs from this goat Momma

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:56:16 PM  Show Profile
sherry, I am new here, but grace is giving you excellant advice, I have raised nubian/boer cross for several yrs now, and i had one great milk doe a few yrs back that always twined and then would refuse the second born, so in the house/kitchen he/she would come, into a portable pen that my late husband made for me, kept the kid safe and warm, and the worse of the mess contained,lol...I too will watch this thread and hopeing not to step on toes if I throw some advice in every so often...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:56:43 PM  Show Profile
oh thanks grace. he is on frozen real colostrum from a healthy doe. i will milk ebony when i have more strength. i think mama just wanted him up. she was going to make him if she had to kick and push with no end. we named him bambi. he is bambi color (cinnamon) he is laying on a sheep skin by the fire. he is way too cute. i am going to see if he gets good and hungry maybe i can hold him and he could nurse her. so we shall see how it goes. if he could get strong she may take him. thanks so much for all ideas. so am i on a 2 hour feeding right now? through the night? oh darn. still learning as we go sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  7:01:22 PM  Show Profile
another question will the colostrum from a different doe give him loose poop? i have no poop yet. but he is only in the house 2 hours no

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  7:12:07 PM  Show Profile
please all advice welcome. we have a bad cold storm now. snow wind rain. so he has a wire dog crate. i raised 2 nubians a few yrs back. we bottled them. they were healthy though. so the yorkie has adopted the kid. he is washing him and being with him. so bambi has no desire to stand and walk. he is acting like he may get hungry. all ideas welcome. sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  9:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherrye- you can also mix colostrum with milk after the first poop. I would mix in colostrum from a healthy doe for the first day or two- depending on how much you have. As far as I know- as long as it is same species colostrum- it should be fine. If you can put a blanket on mom and have her get it smelly and then put the blanket on the baby- you might be able to get her to accept him back.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  10:56:06 AM  Show Profile
Sherrye is he wanting to take the milk? I usually give my bottle babies what they will take every 2 hours the first day and then every 4 hours the next day. You might try carefully giving him goat nutra drench very carefully in the corner of his mouth about 3ccs the first time. This will get into their bloodstream within minutes. It made just for weak and stressed animals.

First milk from another doe will not give him loose poop. It if just fine to give him that. It would be better to give him milk from his own mother if you can get some but for now I think you are good. Good luck and keep us posted.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 29 2011 10:59:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  12:54:21 PM  Show Profile
thanks linda and all you girls, so late last night i took him to mama. she nursed him well. so what i did was lower the heat lamp add more bedding and closed the hut. she had him all night. then i checked him this am. he was weak but out of hut with mom. still very weak legs. he was cold. we had snow sideways. he is in a shelter inside a shelter. so i brought him in and warmed him when his nap was over i took him to mama again. she fed him. so in a bit i will see if he is cold. he is stronger today. i put the yorkies coat on him. he is all long wobbley legs. bambi is a good name for him. so things are better. i will keep him warm going in and out. by sat. we are going to be in the 60s so that is good too. thanks so much sherrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  2:30:46 PM  Show Profile
sherry, be careful bringing him in and out of the house, he will get chilled each time you bring him back out, no matter what you do, you are better either keeping him out with his mama, and blanketing him/useing heaters, etc, or just keeping him inside your house, cause if hes not moving around, and its that cold, his circulation to his legs will not be good, and he will continue to get weaker...
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  06:55:04 AM  Show Profile
i thought i would come on with an update. so bambi who we call bam bam for short is doing better. her still has weak legs. i sure can not see him all wrapped and rolled up inside his mama. he sleeps in the position he tried to come out with. the grans were here last night. bam bam just loves to be held and snuggled. so decision has been made. he will be a pet. what a sweet personality he has. so he is sleeping with mom and doing good. i milked ebony out some last night. she was way too full for one little bam bam. he is wearing the yorkie coat still. today is going to be nice finally. so today i will take it off.i have children coming today to meet him. i locked up marilyn last night. she is getting very close. hope all is well with my farm girl friends. hoping all are ok after the tornadoe. very sad. i will post a pic when i can. happy days here for bambi,,,,,,,,,,,,sherrrye

farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic help with kid colostrum bottles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page