BloominGA
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Sherri
Warner Robins Georgia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  9:59:44 PM  Show Profile
Since the other thread seemed so long, I thought that I would start a new one. I hope that I don't offend anyone.... I just finished The Mermaid Chair. It was really good, but very different from Monk's Secret Life of Bees. She is a good author. I usually read mysteries, but digressed with her. I read it awhile back, but if you haven't read it...you must read Memoirs of a Geisha. The movie didn't cover the half of it. Don't get me wrong; it was a great movie IMO, but the book was better. Also, one must read The Alchemist. It's not a mystery either. The Kite Runner was an awesome novel, but I found it so very hard to deal with some of the issues. I read it months ago and still think about it!

Sherri

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  12:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Sherri,
In case you didn't know, you can jump to the end of a thread by clicking the page number under the thread title. So even if a thread is really long you can still jump right in!!!
So neat to see and learn about allll the great books us gals are reading! Thanks for sharing!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  05:09:54 AM  Show Profile
I just finished "Rumspring...To be or not to be Amish". Fascinating stuff!

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  05:11:23 AM  Show Profile
Sorry, that is spelled, Rumspringa. It is about the "running around" period of Amish teens before they decide to join the Amish church or not.

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  08:27:22 AM  Show Profile
I started to read Kitrunner, and like you I had a hard time handling all of the tough issues, I put it down, maybe I can finish it later!

I am on a "happier" kick, wanting to read lighter stuff.
I really like memoirs, but they are tough, after all, life is hard.
Kate
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  2:19:53 PM  Show Profile
I should start by saying I did read Kite Runner, and was very impressed with it--really tough issues, but the forgiveness shown is moving and beautiful... On a lighter note, I really like W. Dale Cramer's "Levi's Will", which is halfway centered in Amish life and also WWII up to present. I also LOVE Charles Martin's "When Crickets Cry". Has anyone read it?

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  03:25:51 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BloominGA

Since the other thread seemed so long, I thought that I would start a new one. I hope that I don't offend anyone.... I just finished The Mermaid Chair. It was really good, but very different from Monk's Secret Life of Bees. She is a good author. I usually read mysteries, but digressed with her. I read it awhile back, but if you haven't read it...you must read Memoirs of a Geisha. The movie didn't cover the half of it. Don't get me wrong; it was a great movie IMO, but the book was better. Also, one must read The Alchemist. It's not a mystery either. The Kite Runner was an awesome novel, but I found it so very hard to deal with some of the issues. I read it months ago and still think about it!

Sherri

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  03:31:08 AM  Show Profile
I feel like a fraud (yikes)! Two of my meager number of posts are fakes because I clicked the wrong button before adding my post! Pardon, ladies. I also loved Sue Monk's two books but favor the Secret Life of Bees. I saw the first Bridget Jones' Diary movie and do not remember this but thought ya'll would get a kick out of it since it implies even MORE strength to be a farmer and a woman!! I am reading Knitting Rules by the Yarn Harlot, and it is really humorous. Anybody ever read any of the old Gene Stratton Porter novels? I love them, the few that I have found in junk shops and read. Anyway, enjoy the quote from Bridget!

Being a woman is worse than being a farmer -- there is so much harvesting and
crop spraying to be done: legs to be waxed, underarms shaved, nails filed...The
whole performance is so highly tuned you only need to neglect it for a few
days for the whole thing to go to seed. --Bridget Jones's Diary

Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  03:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I am reading This Common Ground by Scott Chasky.. about a farming cooperative in New York State. The first chapter is all about garlic!

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Natural Earth Farm - A Village Homestead making handcrafted goods of natural fibers - http://www.naturalearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  04:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Nance,
Those old Gene Stratton Porter books bring a pretty penny here in her home state of Indiana.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  08:18:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm having fun working my way through the Joe Grey mysteries and the new Monk paperback. It's too hot to study or read anything heavy. Joe and his ladyfriend Dulcie and their pal Kit are sentient cats who solve mysteries. I'm a pet psychic and I can tell you they are a true blend of cat personality and instinctive "cat stuff" and also human insight. such fun!

I wish I had more time to read. I enjoy it so! I love magazines and really look forward to when certain ones come like Real Simple and Martha and Piecework and Mary Englebreit's Home Companion and Brit Country Living (which I get at B&N). Books and magazines are my one weakness but I buy them at Half.com and Amazon usually (sometimes for 75 cents!) so I don't feel guilty. Could be worse. I only buy shoes when I have to, ha ha.

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  1:45:32 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey D Abbott

Nance,
Those old Gene Stratton Porter books bring a pretty penny here in her home state of Indiana.

Wow, Audrey! I first discovered Gene Stratton Porter when I was corresponding years ago with a beau in Oregon and he suggested I would enjoy her works. If they bring a pretty penny there, all these years later I feel doubly blessed to have searched for and found the three I have in Norfolk, and for only a few dollars each!
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  04:51:56 AM  Show Profile
Nance, I only know the high price tags on the books I've found in used bookstores. Condition is very important to collectors and first editions also increase the value. I believe the old titles have been republished recently. If you've missed reading any, you might do a title search and see if one of the new volumes is available (more affordable unless you are a collector).

I have one old one (can't recall which one ;) and it is readable but not collectible in condition.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  06:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Tonya, I read "This Common Ground" too. Really enjoyed it. I'm currently reading Jane Goodall's "Harvest of Hope". Excellent and very informative!
I'm going to the library today for new books and air conditioning!!!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  09:40:15 AM  Show Profile
I am going to look for "Harvest of Hope" I have heard it recomended so much now and all by gals who give great recomendations..I will look for it.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2006 :  09:49:15 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Audrey D Abbott

Nance, I only know the high price tags on the books I've found in used bookstores. Condition is very important to collectors and first editions also increase the value. I believe the old titles have been republished recently. If you've missed reading any, you might do a title search and see if one of the new volumes is available (more affordable unless you are a collector).

I have one old one (can't recall which one ;) and it is readable but not collectible in condition.

Good idea, Audrey, thank you! I can always check for reprinted volumes. I have "Laddie", "Keeper of the Bees" and "Girl of the Limberlost", all excellent reads as I remember (haven't read them in probably 15 years or more). Of course I would love to stumble across an old copy of another of her novels in great condition, but books I love I never part with! I don't think I am a real collector, more like an enjoyer. I wrote down alot of the authors' names that you all were saying you enjoyed reading, and will be on the lookout for them! Ah, the joy of a nook and a book! Nance
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  5:53:34 PM  Show Profile
I can add my recommendation for Harvest For Hope by Jane Goodall. I'm reading it, non-stop right now and it is changing my life! I also have her book, Reason for Hope, which I'll read next. I keep reading passages of Harvest for Hope to my family and my young son has decided that his rabbits need an organic whole food diet - no more "pellets" for them! It's a very eye-opening book, informative and entertaining at once.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  6:32:48 PM  Show Profile
I just ordered it used on amazon.com. I just couldn't stand not reading it any longer and our library wasn't open today. (Pioneer day is a holiday in Utah) I end up with more books that way!!! The library benefits too..if I get a book that I don't feel like I have to own forever I donate it later to the library

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  5:50:51 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!!

Jenny I lived in South Ogden in the mid-70's. I have not thought about Pioneer Days in years!!!

Connie
Texas Farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Currently reading... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page