Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 What are you doing to combat high gas prices.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What are you doing to combat high gas prices. Next Topic
Page: of 2

JennyJKerr
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Jenny
Kenosha Wisconsin
USA
55 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  11:35:34 AM  Show Profile  Send JennyJKerr a Yahoo! Message
Luckily we drive a little VW wago that even with the current prices is only using about $50 every 2 weeks... and we live about 25-30 miles from the base. But we decided that next month hubby is doing to start taking the train back and forth. We have to wait til next month because the navy only passes out the train vouchers at the end of each month and we missed the last one. :(

My Blog ~ http://www.kerrfect.com
My Etsy ~ http://www.etsy.com/shop/beletvieux
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - May 04 2011 :  12:26:57 PM  Show Profile
Last night we drove into Beaumont, a city about an hours drive. My husbands truck has a gauge which shows how much gas mileage you are getting. He experimented and in a full sized Chevrolet truck he could get about 25 miles to the gallon going about 55 mile an hour. I am with you Candy going slow is great if you can keep from getting run over.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - May 05 2011 :  9:54:53 PM  Show Profile
We live 14 miles out from town and 9 miles from a small community, that does have a grocery, p.o. and a Family Dollar. I go to the smaller community about once a week....sometimes I can stretch that to 10 days. Yesterday, I went to town (14 miles away). That was the first time I went to "town" since the middle of January.

We have a big van, but it get fairly good mileage. So, if the grown kids don't borrow it (and return it on empty....I think they are trying to wean it), I don't do too bad.

This week we got the electric bill. Last month it was a little under $70, this month it is over $90. We haven't done anything different, so I am assuming they got a fuel adjustment rate...or something. That means less a/c this summer!!! More setting out under the shade trees at the edge of the garden.

DD#2 works in town. She is good to call to see if we need her to bring something out as she comes in from work. When DS#1 and d-i-l go to SAMS (about 60 miles), they are good to pick up anything I need....if I keep the kids while they make the shopping run.

I am guilty of shopping online and teaching the kids who are at home to do the same. They are learning, buying online means paying for shipping, but usually no tax. Sometimes they actually cancel each other out.

The only thing I make a special trip for normally is to go to the feed store....it's only about 5 miles away. They have a few grocery items, gas, and vet supplies. Definitely, my kind of store!

But I am wondering.....if there might not be more "business" opportunities opening up during this time? When I was growing up, there were little community grocery stores every few miles. In town, there were a number of Mom & Pop stores scattered throughout neighborhoods. Over the years, these closed because it was cheaper to drive to the bigger (box) stores.....not so much anymore. Just something to think about.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  01:47:17 AM  Show Profile
In England a few years ago we had a major fuel crisis when all the tanker drivers blockaded the fuel depots - complaining about the cost of fuel then. No fuel was being delivered anywhere in the country for almost a week and so all the pumps ran dry. We were given loads of info on how to make the fuel you have go further which i thought i would share with you.

Don't carry any unneccessary weight - empty your car of everything you don't need for that journey. This includes fuel, don't fill up until you have less than 1/4 of a tank wherever possible. Don't take passengers along - just for the ride.

Switch off air-con, heated seats etc these use a surprising amount of fuel

Keep windows closed as this creates drag and uses more fuel - use air vents to cool car.

Keep at as steady a speed as possible avoid unnecessary acceleration and braking

Use as high a gear as possible - driving at 50mph in 5th gear is by far the most economical way to drive

Keep tyres inflated to manufacturers recommended levels.

When I am really feeling the cost of fuel ( and ours is over double the price of yours ) I do all this and the differance is actually remarkable.

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 06 2011 :  08:34:13 AM  Show Profile
It isn't just petrol, gasoline, heating fuel is out of sight. 8 weeks ago I got 150 gallons for $528.00 or so, yesterday for the same amount, 150 gallons, I paid $634.92. Ouch!!! I turned the heat down again from 62 to 60 and put one of those little oil filled electric heaters on low in front of the thermostat. I must get a bigger wood stove. One that can hold a fire for more than 2 hours and more than 3 small sticks of wood.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 07 2011 :  06:11:06 AM  Show Profile
We love our wood stove Cherime. I dont know what we do without it. We have the propane also but wouldnt be able to pay the price of heating only with it
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - May 08 2011 :  3:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
So, DH and I have both been driving only 60 MPH on the Interstate for the past week and we can REALLY tell a difference in the amount of gas we use and so far no-one has flipped us off for driving too slow! LOL!! Try it, you might be surprised!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  4:45:32 PM  Show Profile
I understand that the speed limits lessened to get better gas milage, but here in york county PA it wouldn't make a difference, I go 60 in the 55 zone and get passed on the double yellow like I am standing still. I know many teens that are not out of high school and on their 3rd and 4th car because they totaled the others... sigh...

To conserve gas, I embrace the "stay-at-home" of Stay at home mom.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

The Magpie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Melanie
San Dimas California
USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  5:01:49 PM  Show Profile
The lease was just up on my car and I turned it in and plan not to get another one for a few months but he has a car when we need one. Both my husband and I work from home and both of us ride motorcycles (mine gets around 48 mpg). When I have business in town, I either walk or ride the bicycle (We live close to an old town area with shops and a post office). Grocery shopping on both a motorcycle and a bicycle creates an interesting challenge, though.

Edited by - The Magpie on May 11 2011 5:02:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

SKVining
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Sandra
Beaverton Mi
USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  4:19:40 PM  Show Profile
I live nine miles into the woods So it was not hard to say I Quit!!!!! I go out once a week and line up all my appointments and shopping into one day Took me a bit to get use to it but now I don't even want to go out on my out day We have a great little country church and it really is working out well Of course I'm luckly my husband work in town and if it is a must he will stop We are very careful where we buy our gas And we never buy gas on the weekends We must hold on to something or the companys rule us I try very hard to buy only American made Boy try and find socks Work boots Thats a joke tho Kloe's Dept store care one kind. I vented enough Good luck ladies Sandra Vining
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 14 2011 :  8:34:27 PM  Show Profile
The news said that the cost is due to go down!
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - May 15 2011 :  06:40:22 AM  Show Profile
They always say gas prices going down and then they do maybe a quarter ifyou are lucky and people are satified even after they raised it a dollar. It makes no sense. The lines here are long to get gas. We are not going out as much, which slows local economy - not going out -not spending money. We try to combine our trips to once a week since we are both retired.

Honestly, I would get a part time job but it would cost me more in income tax and gas than I would make.

Back to gas. Our local grocery store Giant Eagle has fuel perks for every $50 spent at the store you get $.10 off per gallon of gas. We bought a new garden tractor with gift cards and got $7.80 worth of fuel perks. We got a free tank of gas plus two cans $115.00 in savings. We still have enough for another fillup, which will be in three weeks. That will be a huge savings for us. We can make a tank of gas last almost 3 weeks if we are careful but again - not shopping or extra trips - means no local economy. Gas runs this country and something needs to be done about it.

We always bought season passes to a local amusement park about 45 minutes away for everyone. Not this year. We could get the passes but can't afford to visit weekly. How sad for the grandkids.

Well off the soap box. Have a great day.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  12:25:59 PM  Show Profile
With you there Alexis. It is nearly impossible to get to work in Alaska without a car. Both Safeway and Kroger here give points and take pennies off of your gas if you buy enough and if you purchase fuel that their pumps. But the real killer if fuel oil for heat. That baby is not going down anytime soon and it is more expensive than gas at the moment.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  4:49:33 PM  Show Profile
Since I am probably older than most of you, I have retired, but my husband still owrks 25 miles from our door. He leaves @ 545 in the am and gets home from 4:30-5 pm. We try to do most of our business locally rather than Spokane, but if there is something I need, I text him to see if he can pick it up on his way home. I have the SUV, Dan drives our old 1992 Honda Accord. It still gives us 29 mpg. Amazing. We have a post office for us to pick up our mail, & if I'm out, I pick it up, if not, Dan stops. I don't like to have him stop anywhere on his way home as he is tired, but we have decided we must do all to save money. We also keep a list for things to pick up at hardware etc so as to limit trips. Sounds like we are pretty much doing the same things. I just love to hear all the bonuses and high earnings the oil companies make...none of which is passed on to its workers or the man on the street.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

bluebellequilts
True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Teresa
Georgia
USA
72 Posts

Posted - May 16 2011 :  8:13:35 PM  Show Profile
Fortunately, I work 7 miles from home and try to run as many errands on the way to/from work as possible. I also do my grocery shopping with retailers who offer discounts on gas. Anytime I'm near a Costco, I try to fill-up. They always seem to have the best prices on regular and premium gas.

For me, high gas prices have probably impacted my leisure activities more than anything. I no longer put the dog in the SUV and take to the open road just for fun. No trips to the fabric store just for inspiration. We shop our stash more often and try to get creative by using things I already have on hand instead of making a special 25 mile roundtrip to Joann's.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What are you doing to combat high gas prices. Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page