Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Nifty Thrifty
 What are you doing to combat high gas prices.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What are you doing to combat high gas prices. Next Topic
Page: of 2

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2319 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2319 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  06:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Gas prices keep climbing steadly and now with the spring and summer driving months here, what will you be doing to curb your driving habits. I am only going to town every 2 to 3 weeks, it takes me several hours to get to all the places I need to go by than, but it saves me money in two ways, I am not tempted to impulse shop as much when I go weekly and I find I only go to the stores I have to go to so I can get home.

Julie

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:03:40 AM  Show Profile
Same here. Staying home more and organizing my shopping needs better. No more running to the grocery because I want to make something that I need just one more thing for. :)
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

catturner68
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Casey
Carrollton Tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:09:02 AM  Show Profile
I started riding my bike to school every day back in August when school started. That has saved me a bundle. I also run errands all in the same day on the weekend, rather than running to the store every day for one or two things. I have to make sure I am organized & know exactly what I am getting and where I need to go. I get a weekly dairy delivery directly from a farm, so I drive less to get groceries. I am walking or biking for short, neighborhood errands when possible. I find that I am using about 1 tank of gas in my car each month by making these changes.

Casey
If you live your beliefs, you can change the world.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  08:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Casey~ I have started organizing all my errands so I can do them on the same day. If I am going somewhere close, as the weather gets nicer, I am going to ride my bike.

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  09:04:32 AM  Show Profile
Trying to get all done in one trip to town. I live 7 miles out of town and it can be difficult to get all done. However one very bright spot is that there is a new sort of box like grocery all in one going in about a 1/4 mile from my house. I will be able to walk there in summer. They are not like Costco as they will sell smaller amounts of stuff. Great for us smaller miniscule families.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  09:58:36 AM  Show Profile
Planning trips to town very carefully! We no longer go for drives or go out on a whim. Our out of pocket medical expenses have to come first. So we are spending more time at home, watching flicks on DVD and eating in. Buying as much food and necessities in one trip as we can manage. And still we are going to have to sit down and make a much more frugal budget game plan.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  10:30:38 AM  Show Profile
Same as you ladies. Combine trips, stay home more (which I don't mind).

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:40:19 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I have always combined my shopping trips but now it usually is once a week or two. If I had it my way I would only go out to go to church. I hate to shop anymore and all the crazies on the road make it less than enjoyable to drive. My husband and I were in a terrible accident in september that had an uninsured motorist run a light and total our car. Sent us by ambulance to the ER. Don't get me started on the health insurance fees etc! I'd rather stay home with my beagle!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  11:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Unfortunately, not much. I work in the daytime, my husband at night, and the baby is twice a week at her grandmother's house north of the city (a 25 minute commute). We both work 15 miles or so from the house. I'm fine with taking the bus INTO work, but when I pick up the baby from her Grandmother's 2 evenings, I can't do that. So, we've been trying to combine trips together--like today, he drives us both in to Cincinnati, drops the baby off then comes back to get us in the evening. But honestly, we're not conserving very much because of the differences in our work schedules.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Since I did not leave the farm for two months during Feb and March I saved a bunch but I have always made my trips at once. I only get off the farm when I have all the places I need to go lined up to make a complete circle so I do not waste time, spend more then I need and save as much as I can on gas... When it takes over $80.00 to fill my truck it has been a must... Also, since I do not like shopping, being out with the crazy phone talking nutters I keep myself on the farm as much as I can. I feel so sorry for those who have to drive to get to work or who's work is driving... I feel too much money is going in the wrong pockets and the government is giving lip service as with everything else. I wished there where more ways to get around the greedy gas corporations..

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  6:15:16 PM  Show Profile
I too am having a great deal of trouble conserving.

Grace, I'm jealous! You got to stay home for two months! How dreamy!

My work is 100 miles from home.
I keep an apartment in my work town but I make the long drive up each Sunday evening and back home Thursday evening.
It is a lovely drive--but I can't find any way to make it pay.
I tried placing ads to make deliveries along the way (only places like bread companies with horrible morning hours called, plus a few tiny businesses that wanted me to do it for almost nothing--one actually offered nothing) but that didn't fly.

In the fall, I am headed in a new direction in life and I will be commuting from my home (hooray!). Gas and mileage-wise it will be even worse (about 62 miles per day--round trip) but I may be able to take on a rider or two who can share expenses. I'm hoping that can work out for me.

Otherwise, maybe I'll just have to stand by the side of the road and offer a little leg to try and get a ride. har

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  8:34:14 PM  Show Profile
since we live 40 miles from town we also always have made it it in one trip to get everything. we go only once a month. our little grocery store here actually in our little town is going to get a lot more business because everyone is talking about not going much anymore... but otherwise we are home and I prefer it that way...I do not like the crazies in the roads either....

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  04:23:45 AM  Show Profile
Definitely staying home, making the trips count, noexcess frivolous trips to town, cutting back on other expenses so I do have enough for gas, Carpooling when possible-probably all ideas that everyone else is doing!!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  07:48:56 AM  Show Profile
I suggested getting a horse but was not taken seriously---not sure about the cities ordinances regarding that, but it was a thought!

Bicycles---I am getting a new one this spring and so is my daughter. Husband will also bike 6 blocks to work. We have cut waaaaaay back on jaunts around town (DD!) It really hit home to me when I handed my daughter a 10-spot to get some gas realizing that it would amount to not much more than, 2 gallons of gas-

Melody
Farmgirl #525

www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
www.longtallsallys.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  08:30:09 AM  Show Profile
Carpooling, Having fun at home instead of out and about, combining trips, clipping coupons and beefing up the garden. My DH is even considering building a solar electric car for close trips.
It's just unbelievable that in this day and age of technology that everything is increasing in price not going down or holding steady. I think it comes down to panic and greed. Sad but true.

H

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  09:01:48 AM  Show Profile
We have the Share-A-Ride program here in Wasilla to Anchorage and I take the van in daily. It is easier on my vehicle and easier on the pocket book. The program is in all states so far as I know and a good way to cut costs. They drop me at the door and pick me up at the same place. I am an alternate driver and drive one week out of three. Not everyone does drive, eight of us ride and three of us drive. Something to check on if you are commuting long distances. http://www.vpsi.org/mysitecaddy/site3/aboutpeoplesieloff.htm a place to check

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  12:27:51 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I both drive pickup trucks. We have an old Honda Civic we were going to sell. We decided to keep it and drive it instead of the truck. My husband also has a motorcycle and we ride that as much as possible when making trips.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  6:37:13 PM  Show Profile
whats unfair is they charge more for credit than cash
i don't always have that kind of cash on me so
its not right but we do have the lowest gas prices
so i should not be too upset..but its still outrageous!
last year it was 2.49..

inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  1:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Since I have to drive fifteen miles to get to anything other than our small local stores, I have decided to drive 60 instead of 70 whenever I can.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  3:15:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Good idea about driving slower Cathy! Remember when the speed limit was lowered to 55 to conserve fuel!?! Why don't we do that now! Here is some info I found from March 10th at Edmunds Inside Line.

YONKERS, New York — With gas prices on the rise, some in the U.S. are asking whether we should take a cue from other countries and lower the national speed limit in order to save fuel. In a controversial move, Spain on Monday implemented a lower national speed limit in the wake of unrest in the Middle East.

"Should the United States, too?" asked Consumer Reports in a post on its cars blog on Wednesday. The consumer watchdog hinted that it was in favor of such a move, noting that "in our own tests, we found that slowing down on the highway was an effective way drivers could save gas in their own cars. Slowing down from 65 mph to 55 mph raised the fuel economy in our 2005 Toyota Camry from 35 mpg to 40 mpg."

According to Fuel Economy.gov, "gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. You can assume that each 5 mph you drive over 60 mph is like paying an additional $0.24 per gallon for gas."

Sounds like a good reason to slow down on the Interstate to me! We have to drive almost 20 miles on the Interstate to get to the nearest small town. I think I will switch from 75 to 60 and hope I don't get run over! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  05:35:21 AM  Show Profile
This weekend, is the first weekend our gas prices jumped. Last weekend the prices were about $3.77-3.89/gallon. This weekend they are $4.15/gallon.

We are staying home as much as possible. We live in the country, so bicycles are not an option, unless we are going to the gym (it's at an old school).

To be more self-sufficient we hope to have our own dairy milk vs. driving to the store. We are already putting our garden in and will eat from that as much as possible. The library is about a 14 mile round trip, so bicycling is difficult when we are bringing books there and back. We will be cutting our daughter's horse riding lessons down, and our volunteer efforts (also a long road trip) to the horse rescues.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  07:14:13 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone think the price will go down or are the high prices here to stay?
Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  01:20:45 AM  Show Profile
Since my husband's job is a 50 mile one-way drive, I have him do all the shopping and gathering. I still have to go to the post office which is 9 miles one-way in the opposite direction once a week but I just had to refill my gas tank after driving on it since January. I stopped making any other trips. Our gas is $4.00 gallon here. I never was much of a shopper anyway and much prefer internet shopping. So it has worked out for us just great.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  5:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Rediculous!!! ~ANY~ excuse to raise prices.....

Don't move to Indiana......from www.indychannel.com

Indianapolis Gas Prices Spike To $4.29
Big Increase Comes As Oil Prices Jump Again

POSTED: 1:16 pm EDT May 2, 2011
UPDATED: 1:35 pm EDT May 2, 2011

INDIANAPOLIS -- Gas prices at many central Indiana stations shot up to $4.29 a gallon on Monday, the day after U.S. forces killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

Speedway stations again appeared to lead the charge on the increase, which put prices about 10 to 15 cents higher than they were on Sunday.

Track: Gas Prices Near You

If the increase holds, it will mark the highest gas prices ever recorded in Indiana.

The national average for a gallon of regular unleaded was $3.95 a gallon as of a couple of days ago, according to AAA. Indiana's average of $4.14 a gallon was the eighth-highest in the country.

Indiana was just three cents shy of an all-time record, which was $4.17 a gallon in September 2008. A year ago, Indiana's average gas price was $2.85 a gallon.

The increase came as oil prices jumped to $114 a barrel in early trading, up $3 in the wake of bin Laden's death.

Analysts said traders are concerned that bin Laden's death may lead to retaliation from his followers that could affect oil supplies.

"There will be a fear, I think, in the short-term in the markets that something might happen in the next week or two," said Michael Lynch, president of Strategic Energy & Economic Research. "I do think in the longer term, it suggests likely more stability in the Middle East."

Oil also got a boost as the dollar retreated from an early rally following news of bin Laden's death. Oil is priced in dollars. A weaker dollar makes crude more attractive to buyers with foreign currency, and the price tends to rise.

Nearly all central Indiana gas stations now have prices above $4 a gallon.

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  7:58:43 PM  Show Profile
I like that quote. When life hands you scraps make quilts
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - May 03 2011 :  8:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I have been trying very hard for the last few years to cut back on gas usage.
First thing I did was to buy a scooter that I love to ride in the summers. It gets 80 mpg and I can carry 3 bags of groceries on it. It's perfect for commute and small shopping trips.
Second thing I do is to just drive less. I plan my trips so I get multiple tasks done. If i have several errands within a few blocks of each other, I park in a central location and walk between them.
Last I have at least 1 day a week where I do not even start a motor vehicle. I just plan what day and i dont go anywhere that I cant walk to.
If I lived in town I would do more, I would love to get one of those 3 wheeled bikes but they arent very practical where i live
Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic What are you doing to combat high gas prices. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page