Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 The Forest for the Trees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The Forest for the Trees Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  6:44:28 PM  Show Profile
I happened across a web site earlier today that is devoted to women whose lives are consumed by concern for their famliies' survival in the face of various perceived external threats, be they from avian flu, wild weather, terrorism, the wrong party taking over the state legislature, or something else I haven't thought of yet.

On the subject of preventing their famlies' exposure to "the coming avian flu pandemic," many women posting to this site's message board are talking about discontinuing their lifelong, and apparently beloved, practice of putting out food to attract and help nurture songbirds.

I find it remarkable that none of these women has thus far made the connection between the presence of songbirds on their property and such life-sustaining activities as cross-pollination of fruit, distribution of wildflower seeds (including vital herbs), insect control in vegetable gardens, and so on -- not to mention the complex benefits of connecting with nature, being charmed and soothed by these lovely creatures, that have as much impact on our physical as psychological health, the two being intimately related.

It seems to me that the loss of all this has the potential to do far more damage to us than "the coming avian flu pandemic," including long-term disruption of entire ecosystems -- not just local ones, either, because many songbirds migrate and are vital actors in many environments throughout their brief lives.

By the way, one woman on this site said that when birds fly headlong into her windows and die, she picks their bodies up with a plastic bag and throws them into her garbage can. Presumably they are actually dead when she does this; she didn't say how she checks, or if she does, but I digress. Simply cutting a silhouette of a bird in flight out of black construction paper and pasting it inside windows into which her local birds habitually fly would be a kindness to the birds, and would save her from an odious task. I am half-tempted to join that community just so I can pass along that tip to her.

Oh, my farmgirl sisters! Why don't people think? Why don't they see the forest for the trees? The sky for the one-in-a-millionth bird that might be flying through it carrying a load of avian flu germs in its tiny beak? The planet for the nearest Wal-Mart?

Farmgirls are closer to nature than many people, yet many of these "survivalists" maintain farms. From what I've observed of this one community (and I know they represent a significant section of the American people), living off the land doesn't necessarily make people sensitive to their responsiblities as its stewards.

How do you see yourself in this broad picture? Do you spend time educating yourself about the environment? Do you help other people see how they can make small changes that will benefit the ecosystem of which they are a part -- obviously benefitting themselves at the same time? How is it best to do this without becoming one of those hated "Green Pests" who tsk-tsk over all the uncomposted stuff in your trash can, and swear there's no better shampoo on earth than a nice big bucketful of Bouncing Bet leaves?

You know the type.

Oh yeah. I guess I am! Pleased t' meetcha :-)

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 06 2006 6:51:31 PM

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  7:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Rosemary, this is a good one. Yes, I think I do spend time educating myself about the environment. But not as much as maybe 10 years ago...I think I used to be one of those Green Pests (100%!). Now I may just be "green." Though I used to be considered "crunchy" (maybe still am?).

I like to think that I do help people to see small changes they can make in their lives to benefit the environment. Rather than the in-your-face tactics of the past, I'm learning that it's easier to talk indirectly about it. You know, talk about how it will save them money or is easier or saves time..."oh, and by the way, it's better for the earth and all that jazz." People expect it of me now, so they're not so shocked. But watching me live my life this way and seeing how little things really CAN make my life easier helps them to stop and think "huh, I guess that might not be so bad..."

My top 7 green-living things to share: (a.k.a. subtle soapboxes)

1. composting
2. organic food
3. support your local farmer ("do you know where your food comes from?")
4. cloth diapers
5. REDUCE
6. REUSE
7. RECYCLE

These last three are not just a mindless, hip mantra for me though. I actually try to reduce my family's dependence on "stuff," reuse or re-purpose just about everything that is normally thrown out and - obviously in this day and age - recycle. I don't know if this is actually helping the earth anymore, but it's our way of life. I like talking to my world about how these things are not hard and are actually very rewarding. I couldn't live with myself if I shopped at Wal-Mart for my produce and used disposable diapers and didn't see the connection I have with the earth or the impact I have on my community. The big picture is just too *obvious* as far as I'm concerned. The big picture is beautiful - so is the forest and so are the trees. :)

Not sure if I hit the nail on the head for the thread you started, but it sparked an interest in me too. I'll be watching this one. What do others think?

Catherine

p.s. Rosemary, I think passing on tips about bird silhouettes on the other web site is an awesome way to make a difference...this coming from the one who used to work at a natural history museum where the mission was all about connecting people to the natural world... :)
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  7:56:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rosemary, I heartily agree with everything you said. My husband and I will continue to feed and enjoy the songbirds. Right now we are enjoying the fact that they all are bringing their babies to the feeders. I can remember a couple of years ago everyone said that if we didn't get a flu shot we'd all be doomed. No big flu outbreak occurred. When we moved to Washington a couple of years ago we rented a log cabin on a beautiful ridge in the mountains. When we got there a bear had ransacked a bunch of 5 gallon plastic pails and overturned lots of metal ammo box filled with rice, grains etc. stored on the side deck and quite a eyesore.All things they had stored for the dreaded Y2K. Also the shed was full of food. All going to waste. If my memory serves me it didn't happen : ) As the song goes--Don't worry be happy! JoAnn P.S. Pleased t' meetcha too :-)

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary- Don't those type of websites stress you out? They do me.
I agree with you as well. Education is the key. Not panicking is the other. It all comes down to common sense I guess. I feel sorry for the families of these women. I can't imagine what it would be like to live with such over-the-top, unfounded panic all of the time!! Gee whiz!
JoAnn is right about the ecosystems of our own backyards. We have to do all we can to help keep these fragile environments healthy and viable. We are suffering from over-the-top new construction, commercial ventures coming in to take over what used to be woodland- we have 3 grocery stores all with a mile of each other!! It is so frustrating to see this all going on. (However- we were able to fight off Wal-Mart coming in.) My family tries to provide for any creature that happens by, poor things. They need somewhere they can find peace.
Catherine- Example is always the best teacher!!
We've are the "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" family here!
We do have a food storage, but it is rotated out frequently. We always have the basics on hand- flour, wheat, rice, pasta, oatmeal, dry milk, etc. The thing is, we USE it. And that is what it is for!!
I guess all we can do is be mindful of our environment, be cautious without being fanatical, and be good examples.
Thanks for posting this. It is very interesting.

Karin
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic The Forest for the Trees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page