peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  7:09:07 PM  Show Profile
I apologize, I'm going to whine!

I made it thru the winter, barely. Each night the supper conversation was the same. "Which way did you come home tonight? How was the road? Can I make it with my car?"

I'm trying to make it thru the spring, but we JUST got rid of the snow on the ground and I have my daughter's wedding in 6 weeks - that would be an outdoor wedding on our farm! This is not a typical spring and is still a hold over from the wretched winter and the forecast has rain or snow in it almost every day for the next 10 days. Just silly things that I'd like to do ... paint an outbuilding, clean up the landscaping and gardens, smooth out the driveway...everything seems impossible tonight!

And then, many of the roads around us are in poor shape (from the wretched winter and ensuing spring flooding). Many of the paved roads are closed (the closest paved road is under 3 feet of water and will probably never be reopened) and many of the gravel roads are washed out and all are soft, heavily rutted, muddy and barely tolerable.

Update...NOT Tolerable. I believe I tore a hole in my oil pan today when I got high centered in a rut. Is it a bad thing when there's a 'river' of oil on the floor of the garage?

And the counties and townships are out of road money after all the extra snow removal.

I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere. I'm not. I'm 13 miles from the 6th largest town in the state. I am 3 miles off a state highway, 2 miles off a county highway. I should be able to easily make it to town in under 20 minutes. Today it took 40.

Tomorrow's forecast: High 44 degrees with a 40% chance of rain. <Sigh>

Ok, I'm done. Whining about it isn't going to change anything. But wow, it has been rough -- enough to cry crocodile tears! Wish me luck at the mechanic's shop tomorrow.

Penny
www.444Farm.com

Edited by - peafarm on Apr 20 2011 7:16:16 PM

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  8:00:19 PM  Show Profile
I'm cryin with you! My peas have been washed away and replanted till there's no seed left! I'm a full month behind on my plantin and starts due to garden repair chores suckin up all my time. I'm hatin the rain right now!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Penny! This year has been horrible for spring flooding! It makes such a mess of Things! I hope the mechanic's shop has good news for you and/or can easily fix any damage. I also hope that soon we get some warmer and slightly drier conditions. Wet enough to make things grow quickly, but dry enough that the ground water levels can go down a bit and the soil can dry some.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  04:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Seems like the whole country is under water. We've had 6.5" of rain in the last couple of weeks and are wallowing in mud up here too. Wonder when Spring is really going to get here! Heard we might get snow showers tonight/tomorrow - sigh......

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Penny, you probably shouldn't cry! Ya don't need more water. We are kind of the same here. We were in a drought situation but not any more. we have had so much rain lately. And lots of storms. I'm sure by the time the wedding gets closer, things will be beautiful and flowers will be blooming and the world will be a brighter place. And this will all be a dim memory. God does that, ya know. This too shall pass. Just remember that. You will be ok.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  09:18:53 AM  Show Profile
Penny,
I hope that the weather turns around for your DD wedding. I do think you should have a back-up plan.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

adnama
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

inge
fargo north dakota
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  8:13:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh baby, as your sister to the north I know what your going through.But as they say, wait a day and things suddenly change, it will dry up, it will get sunny and it will suddenly get hot. Things will bloom in their time and you will have a wake up moment that will make you realize why we live where we do... the land, the climate and of course the people... and you will be glad for the trials of the winter because the make the sweetness and joy of the other seasons well worth the sorrow the other brings. Be well, be safe and be happy.
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  9:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my heart is with you, really. Fortunately, after a liftime of snow and crappy weather up North the rest of my body now lives in Florida and it is beautiful here. BUT my heart is really with you. I know how it is when crappy weather never seems to end and you don't care if you ever see rain or snow again and it seems to go on forever. Adnama is right-things will soon change and your DD's wedding will be so beautiful with all the flowers in bloom. Hang in there and get an umbrella you really LOVE! Lol. I "feel ya." Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page
  Weather Report: Previous Topic Crying Crocodile Tears Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page