eraumom
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Lisa
Herrmiston OR
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Here is a topic I need some advise on. Going grey. I just read an article that stated women are spendind about $61.00 every 6-8 weeks to get the grey out of their hair. That is a huge amount of money!!! I do this and never even think about the price. What are everryones thoughts on just going grey. I'm 46, and not sure if society would see me the same way with grey. I like to say that doesn't matter, but I'm afraid it does.

So what are everyones thoughts????
Thanks for the imput

catturner68
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Casey
Carrollton Tx
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  10:57:06 AM  Show Profile
This is a topic that I have also struggled with my entire life. I hated my hair & started coloring it when I was 15. My beautiful blonde hair that I was born with has been jet black, burgundy, strawberry blonde, red, and various shades of blonde. It has even been purple for a few weeks. I started going grey when I was in my 20's & have been completely grey since I was about 35. I'm 43 now. For a while, it really bothered me when people would ask me if my son was my grandson. But, then I read an article in Natural Health magazine about the possibility of hair color causing cancer. (yes, I know...everything causes cancer) http://web.naturalhealthmag.com/expert-advice/hair-dye-healthy-me-use (here is a link to the article) I decided that my vanity about having grey hair was not worth the possibility of getting cancer. Yes, many things can cause cancer, but why would I, on purpose, do something that is really not necessary and run that risk. I went "natural" a couple of years ago & have never been happier with my hair. In addition, hair color contains lots of chemicals that are not healthy for the Earth. My thoughts...go natural...be happy with who you are...learn to love your hair...flaws & all. :)

Casey
If you live your beliefs, you can change the world.
Go to Top of Page

eraumom
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Lisa
Herrmiston OR
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile
I had also heard hair color can be linked to cancer. I'm going to talk to hubby tonight, and if he's okay with it I'm gonna do it.
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  11:39:37 AM  Show Profile
I have pitch black hair. and after I started graduate school, I started getting grey hairs.. right up front :/
But, I use loreal its about 5bucks a bottle and it just goes over the spots you need it to. I just put it next to the roots, I don't dye my whole hair..
My mom's hair is completely white now, not grey, white. I'm headed that way.. but i'm not ready to give up my black hair..
I dye it every other month or so. It's not that expensive if you do it yourself.

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  12:17:35 PM  Show Profile
I say you do what you are comfortable with. i've had my hair dyed at a hair dressers, I've dyed it myself at home and sometimes I get lazy and just don't care. I'm 45 and I 'm getting streaks of silver. Sometimees I look in the mirror and I'm ok with it. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think "oh no". For the most part I just grab some herbl hair dye that washes out after a month of washes. That way I am not comitted to anything that needs constant touch ups and it is natural looking as it grows out. I keep my hair very short anyway so it is not very expensive to dye it. I gues, after all this rambling on and on, I am just trying to say, do what makes you feel better!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  5:39:24 PM  Show Profile
I'm sticking with my natural hair color.....dark brown with lots of
grey sprinkled throughout. I have earned every one of those grey hairs!

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Let me say, as a 27 year old with brown hair and a few grey hairs, that I've seen women in their late 30's early 40's with BEAUTIFUL grey hair. One of my last coworkers was in her 50's and had beautiful, long, thick grey hair down to her hips-I was totally in love with it! I think I'd rather see a woman with healthy grey hair than unhealthy, dry, damaged, but NOT grey hair. I say go for it and LOVE it! It can be so pretty!

(And I'm not saying that coloring your hair=unhealthy, just that if I were to pick between the two I'd rather have healthy grey hair.)

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Edited by - walkinwalkoutcattle on Apr 21 2011 05:53:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile
I am going to go against the grain and state that I will never let my hair go grey...yes, it is perfect for some women but I have also seen women who really need some color and sometimes it adds years to a person's appearance....

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  06:11:13 AM  Show Profile
let me first say-to each his own-but i don't understand the double standard between men and women going grey. it seems that when a man is grey he is considered wise and sometimes handsome(sean connery need i say anymore!)but if a woman is grey she is old and bedraggled. i am almost 38 and am starting to find some grey and that's ok for me. do what you will as my husband says it's your head

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2011 :  12:17:47 PM  Show Profile
There's a website dedicated to this very topic. Lots of stories/pictures of women that have decided to embrace their natural hair. http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/ Personally, I have let my coloring (both highlights and low lights) grow out for the last year. I'm pleased with my brown/gray hair and consider the gray as highlights that I've earned. My hair and my pocketbook are much healthier. I personally think that women my age (60s) look odd without any gray.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  05:28:24 AM  Show Profile
I noticed gray hairs after I had my son at age 19! Now I am not vain but for me that was just too young....I have been every color under the sun & then some....pool bleached green was one...thank goodness it was in my 'Punk" stage so that was ok...now that I am in my 50's with a 2nd husband 10 yrs younger than me i do have a sad heart when someone calls him my son...he is very baby faced like his father....need I say more....I have let it go for quite a bit now & have a area that looks like a skunks tail on one side that was hidden but i am at the point of redying it again....I don't dye it monthly like a comment above....about looking in the mirror & thinking 'Oh my" I don't ever dye it so called natural either....sometimes i go red red, sometimes plum...you know its dyed when I do it....this time it will be dyed plum with bright purple/fushia high lights.......the stuff has been sitting on the bathroom cabinet for about a month now waiting for me to do it....i am so dedicated....lol....I mainly do it for the fun of it.....halloween every day :)....but I think either way you go is up to you...You are the one thats important.....me I will be that little old lady in that really small town with neon purple & red hair....that just might also be in a mohawk!.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  1:20:43 PM  Show Profile
I have never been happier having my "own" color. Now it is salt and pepper grey. I'm really ok with that. But in the workplace I feel for you gals. It's not accepted as an ok to be you because there will always be someone in the wings who looks younger. UNTIL....we take charge and make it a fashionable color. If anybody can, farmgirls can. Go for it gals. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  6:16:30 PM  Show Profile
I am 60 and I have been dyeing my hair for a few years just to brighten it up. Since I buy it at Dollar General it is only $3.00. It just makes me feel better and not so washed out. I still have this one funny "grey-white" spot right in the front that never takes. I have had that forever. I used to be embarrassed. Once someone commented on the nice streak in my hair and did i have it done. I thought she was crazy. Who would want a grey streak in the front of their hair. Now the dye makes it lighter - more blonde than grey. I just don't like the washed out look of my own hair.

My sister - well I don't know what color her "real" hair is - she has been the same color for 40 years and I know it is not real.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  9:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Fun post ! I have had my hair many shades of red to black but I have decided to go natural which is black an gray. I like the look but I really think it is personal for each of us. And we really should not judge what another sister chooses to do. We really need to learn to love ourselves for who we are and then let everyone else be. You will be able to spot me ... longish black hair with steaks of gray :)
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  12:56:10 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Tammyb. Each of us should decide for ourselves. I've have many people comment on my newly showing grays -- they tell me either that they would never stop dyeing their hair or that they wish they had the nerve to let their grays show. LOL - definitely - to each her own.
Go to Top of Page

SylviaE
True Blue Farmgirl

350 Posts

Sylvia
Wichita KS
USA
350 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  3:23:34 PM  Show Profile
I always wanted to be a redhead-I am a brunette. When I was nearly 40, I got a red-haired son-in-law and died my hair in honor of his joining the family. I turned 50 this year and wondering what my natural hair looks like with the gray. So, I am letting the color grow out to see what it is doing. Will let you know how long I can stand it-so far so good.

Sylvia E
Farmgirl Sister #2871
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  4:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I have only died my hair 2 times. I am 52. I have lots of gray-silver streaks all over. But the one I like the best is on my right side. I think it looks really cool. And ya just can't get that from a bottle. I am fine with my hair color. I am thinking it's just a bit too long and just might get it cut. But then I think with summer and how easy it is just to pull it back, I might not. So who knows. My sister just got her very long hair cut. I know it will grow back if I don't like it. It grows really fast. Anyway, I love natural hair, grey or whatever. Do what feels right for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  05:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Here's another website dedicated to beautiful hair:

http://www.longhairloom.com/

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  7:31:11 PM  Show Profile
In the end, you must do what you will be happy with. I am 56 and have never dyed my hair my entire life nor had a perm. It's very fine, baby fine someone once said, straight as an arrow, can't curl it, or anything else. It was long and in a ponytail until my daughter informed me women my age shouldn't have long hair (why I don't know, lol). So I cut it and look like the little dutch girl. This past year I finally saw some grey on my temples and it hit me, I'm getting old! That thought was with me about a day. I then moved on. If I'm anything like my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, it will eventually get long again and go into a ponytail, Swedish braids, or bun and I will not have anymore grey until I am about 90! If I'm like my grandfather I will just go white. I can live with either.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  8:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad I found this thread. I'm in my 40's and starting to get a little "guff" from those around me who think it's "awful" that I'm "aging gracefully", allowing my hair to stay natural and healthy. The way I see it is that I'm a hard worker and no one else has the right to judge me. My MIL and SIL have even gone to the extreme of having "beauty mailings" sent to my home. HA!

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Balancing Act - I can't believe they had "beauty mailings" sent to you. Perhaps you should have a book on manners or a book on having appropriate boundaries sent to them. LOL
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  2:41:53 PM  Show Profile
I have had every color under the sun since I was 15. No more, I am embracing my God given gray hair. My husband actually loves it. My hair is the healthest it has been since I was a teen. As others have said I have earned it. Oh by the way I am 43 and have had gray hair since in my early 30's and after I started some of my meds my hair turned even faster. Do whatever makes you feel happy and comfortable. Oh Jackie take those people off your Christmas card list LOL.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  2:51:31 PM  Show Profile
Susan Thanks for the websites those are great

Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  3:01:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh I did have a thought if you have gray hair it does make a difference to use the right product for gray hair some products will build up on the gray and make it dull. Dull gray hair is not pretty but shiney gray hair is. I use a natural purple highlightening shampoo and it makes a huge difference. Just thought I would share.

Mari-lyn
Go to Top of Page

eraumom
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Lisa
Herrmiston OR
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  3:30:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm letting it gp grey girls. Don't know what it'll look like, or even if I can stand it. But I'm gonna try it. I think it'll be freeing, and wonderful. Thanks for all the help and imput here. You can't belive how wonderful it it to have put a post in the wrong are, but only getting help and advice, and acceptance. I just love ALL my sisters. What a great place MaryJane has made all of us!
Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Mari-lyn--Great idea with the natural purple high-lightening! I think any natural hair color is beautiful so long as it is healthy and shiny.

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Book Ideas: Previous Topic Greymatter Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page