Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Repurposing a wood table for potting bench
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Repurposing a wood table for potting bench Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  08:18:39 AM  Show Profile
I have an old saloon table, and would like to "repurpose" it for a potting bench. I'm thinking I want a galvinized metal on the top--like zinc, or galvinized steel.

I know I can get galvinized stainless steel sheets in the air duct department at a home store, but can you still buy zinc?

Obviously, I want it to "not" rust, so that's the purpose.

I will need some metal snips, and what type of hardware? Screws?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:25:23 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I don't know about zinc. Anywhere that sells tin for roofs should have what you need. They can cut it to fit your dimensions. Check your phone book for metal building places. They make special screws to go through tin, but they tend to have sharp edges - like a bolt. I don't know from what I wouldn't glue it down with that heavy-duty glue that comes in a caulk tube (the name eludes me now.) Liquid nails - that's it! You also want to be sure you measure around the lip of the table. NOTHING will cut like a piece of metal. Have it where it will fold over and glue or screw underneath. It will save your hands, arms, legs, and clothing snags. Post a picture when you're done. I'd love to see it!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:32:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't know much about zinc except that boaters use it when they have more than one metal in their boat and zinc prevents electrolysis, which causes the weaker metal to rust out. In this case, zinc is a sacrificial metal that gets changed out every so often. Probably too off topic and more than you wanted to know. Because I know zinc to be soft, it seems to me that it might not make a good sheeting. I can't say that I have ever seen it in sheet form.

How about stainless steel? As you said, Galvanized steel might be just great for you too. I would agree with you on that.

Do you expect the rust to form because of condensation under the sheet? If so, you not only will get a rust problem but you'll also mildew and eventually rot the wooden top of your table (if it is wood). If I were doing this (and the surface was wood) I think I would buy a product called Dolphinite, a bedding compound, from a marine supply store. It isn't cheap but you'd probably only need a pint. I'd spread that on the tabletop like peanut butter where the sheet metal is going to go, then fasten my steel sheet onto the tabletop (probably using nails that will not react too much with whatever metal the sheet is comprised of). If you write back when you know what type of metal you will be using and how you envision it being applied to the tabletop (a flat sheet on top? bent over the edge? folded along the edges? filed along the edges? thickness of the sheet?) -- I may be able to help you decide on what type of tools and fastenings you'll need.

Dolphinite is used in boatbuilding to bed mating surfaces of wood-to-wood or wood-to-metal or wood-to-whatever-other material. Perhaps it could rupture your wooden tabletop's finish and cause it to peel (only under the metal) and I do know that it does dry out over time. However, I can also promise that it will protect the wood from mold/rot and it is neither as drastic as say, coating the wooden tabletop in epoxy, nor as ineffectual as putting down a layer of felt--or nothing--underneath the metal.

I hope this is of some help and sorry if I have overdone it.
I get excited about building projects and yours sounds like a fun one,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:39:06 AM  Show Profile
I think Holly has some fine ideas.

If your tabletop isn't precious I would definitely agree that a caulk as she suggests could be a great way to go.
Bedding compound is better if you think you might someday like to undo the potting table and use it as a table once again.
You never know when you might open a saloon of your own! har

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  09:39:30 AM  Show Profile
If you use galvanized metal for it you can give it instant age by washing it it vinegar and leaving it on till it looks like you want it. You may have to do it twice. I would wash it with soap and water first to get the processing oil off. Zinc is more expensive here. But nothing beats the soft feel of aged zinc.
Can't wait to see what you do!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  11:11:58 AM  Show Profile
This has been a great thread to read. I have been thinking about doing the same type of thing but my worry was wood rot. I was wondering what to treat the entire piece with to prevent water damage. Any ideas?

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  4:23:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm learning a lot too.
I didn't know that zinc came in sheets. I'll have to look into that as it sounds really nice.
Connie, where would we look for sheets of zinc?

Elaine, I can give you a few ideas for preventing wood rot:
If your piece isn't terribly precious, like some fine antique, then a few coats of marine epoxy will certainly seal it. If you use epoxy, wear rubber or latex gloves and, if you have one or can borrow one, I recommend that you use a respirator mask too. The trouble with this approach is that you really want to seal every surface with it and the whole thing will look kind of shiny. Some people love it--some don't. There are a few good epoxies on the market but my favorite one is West System.

The other suggestion I made earlier to Jonni is to use bedding compound. I suggested Dolphinite marine bedding compound. It is virtually non-harmful to use (unless you eat it or something) and it will keep a mating piece (like a sheet of metal) from allowing its underside to "sweat" into the wood and cause rot down the line.

This is a great thread. I second what Holly said--I hope you'll post pictures when you finish!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  5:20:29 PM  Show Profile
You get it from places that sell sheet metal. Larger cities should have a sheet metal supplier. Google "sheet metal zinc" and there are lots of places that have it to order in different sizes. It was used in sheets for just this purpose on some older pieces I have. I love the look and feel of it. Zinc or Galvanized? It reminds me of the difference between soapstone and granite. Both are beautiful and both are similar substance. There is just a difference in feel. Zinc and soapstone have a softer warmer feel than galvanized and granite. I'll have all four in my home when it is finished. They all have their uses!
I have a counter with a hutch type top that was probably in an old kitchen. It is in really rough shape. It has the zinc covering the counter top. I plan to fix it to use in my half of the basement where i will have the spare fridge, oven and an old sink. That is to be my honey house, egg room and canning kitchen.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  05:44:54 AM  Show Profile
Could you seal the wood and then put the sheet metal on top of it?

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  07:12:21 AM  Show Profile
WOW! What an awesome bunch of gals! I ended up with a migraine yesterday so didn't check back during the course of the day (and I'm glad I didn't--I wouldn't have been able to comprehend so many wonderful options!)

Yes, I will have to think about the waterproofing of the wood, won't I? I wish I had a picture...it's a 4 plank table across the top (think Deadwood style saloon table--no frills), perfectly square, that seems to be "oiled" as a finish. I don't consider it a "valuable" antique, but it did come out of one of those "rounder" saloons in Covington, Kentucky from the late 1800's. It wouldn't break my heart to repurpose it, and done right, it would last quite a while, I'd guess. Nope, Karen, I don't see myself as a saloon owner, much :) Pieshop, absolutely!!!

Ok. Some more detail: The tabletop has about a 3-4 inch overhang on each side. If I had any sort of material sheeting on top, ideally, I'd like it to wrap to the underside, all the way to base of the table where the legs are joined to the center. In order to do that, there would have to be cuts in the corners of the materials, so as to "bend" and "shape", I'd guess?

As far as water proofing--there are some great suggestions, here. I'm so excited to get this started. Based on the cost of a "new" potting bench that I'd have to buy, pay for shipping and put together, this seems like a relatively low-cost option. It would sit under an awning on our side patio, so it would be somewhat protected, and would be put in the shed during the winter months, so I'm hoping that will conserve it even more.

Awesome thread, girls. Really. Thanks for the help and all the maritime product knowledge--living in the Bluegrass, I don't think all that much about those types of products and I'm psyched to know that there are various options. Now just to weigh them out!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  08:03:39 AM  Show Profile
Be careful Jonni that it doesn't get stolen. My antique wooden stand that I had clay pots on and used for transplanting was stolen one evening. The thieves were kind enough to place all of the pots on the ground, but took my table!

Grrrrrrrrrr....

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  08:36:07 AM  Show Profile
You know, Melody, I wonder about that stuff!? What jerks. Someone stole our metal table we had down by the creekbed and our firepit. We sit down there with friends and play music and eat around the fire on haybales. They were nice enough to take the slates out of the center and throw them on the ground, breaking some, before they made off with the table.

It will be up closer to the house, so hopefully, my 115 lb German Shepherd could disuade anyone from knicking it!

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  10:19:46 AM  Show Profile
This is such a great thread.

Karen~ Thank you so much for the advice on preventing wood rot. I am going to try it. I am going to use a respirator also (thanks for the warning).
I will definitley take a picture when it is done and post it. Now, I just have to wait until this rain is done so I can do it!!!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2882

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  12:32:12 PM  Show Profile
If the wood is perfectly dry before you put the metal on and you wrap the edges I would not worry about moisture underneath the metal. I'd be more worried about the legs and feet rotting from moisture. I'd say seal all the wood if it will be outdoors. What you seal it with will depend on what is already on the wood.
Karen- Any idea how she can figure out what that is? I've used denatured alcohol to check before but can't remember the details of what I was checking for!
e-how has a great recipe for non toxic wood sealer using bees wax and mineral oil. But you would need to be sure it was compatible with what is on there already.
If the metal is thin and soft you can wrap the top like a gift. If the metal is too thick or stiff you will have to cut it. Make a paper pattern, measure twice, cut once!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  03:15:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to repeat what Connie says...measure twice, cut once!!!!! LOL I've made that mistake before!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  04:15:57 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try to figure out what is on it....I'll look at ehow also. Believe me I measure three or four times now after some of the mistakes I have made(LOL)!

~ Elaine

Farmgirl sister #2822

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:09:19 AM  Show Profile
Have fun with it. Sounds like a really fun project. Wear leather gloves when working with the metal!
Connie

Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Repurposing a wood table for potting bench Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page