kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  4:54:49 PM  Show Profile
I think I have found a whole lot of wild garlic. I just picked some baby spinach and kale and red mustard, cut up the little garlic scapes and sauteed them in bacon grease. I know. But I had to have some flavor. And it's really good. I could have sauteed the garlic a little longer. But it really is good. I tried to find some dandelion leaves, but I guess I mowed them all down. I will save a patch from now on to put in with the other greens. All in all, a pretty healthy dinner.

Is anyone else finding good wild spring food yet? I would love to hear what you are finding and what you are doing with it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:17:47 AM  Show Profile
Ahhh, spring. . . wish it was here! Your fresh harvest has my mouth watering!! LOL! Right now we have a mix of snow and ice coming down. Looks like I won't be harvesting anything yet. Hopefully Mother Nature will come around with spring sometime soon!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:27:16 AM  Show Profile
Yum. But dandelions? Who's got dandelions? We are in such a drought we aren't even getting poke salad this year! The weeds are even coughing their last gasp!!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2011 :  05:42:20 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, that's awful. We were in a drought but now we are above the level and beyond. We have gotten so much rain the past month to last a few years. It just came a big ole down pour again this morning. All these April showers will surely do some good. I wish you some rain soon.

We have violets, dandelions, lots of wildflowers. And I saw the first clump of dasies yesterday on our walk. I am looking for some stinging nettles now. I have already mowed the yard 3 times and planted some in the garden too.

Joanna, I am so sorry it's still winter up there. I don't know if I would make it up there. The older I get the colder I get. It will get better though. My hubby's been up North lately in the truck. Lots of snow and ice. But down here we've already had 80's. April. Such a fickle month.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wild Garlic Scapes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page