Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 adding more trees to our farm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic adding more trees to our farm Next Topic  

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  06:48:31 AM  Show Profile
I purchased redbud seeds (heirloom) from a lady in PA. I am just now starting the first 4 trees. I had no idea that I would receive 10 pods, and each are filled with about 4 tree seeds. I hope to bless our farm with these trees, along with adding fruit trees. We have already planted a plum and peach tree.

Are any of you planting trees from seed?

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  12:17:42 PM  Show Profile
i am envious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i adore redbuds.......in Ohio, we had quite a lot to look at!!!!! not so many here in northern michigan....
my tree planting is always from starters - i do not have the patience-wow i am envious!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  9:33:34 PM  Show Profile
I have no experience on planting redbud trees, but I have lots of experience with looking at redbud trees and they are so beautiful!! Good luck. The world always needs more beauty. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2011 :  8:33:12 PM  Show Profile
I usually let mother nature germinate the seed and then I dig it up, put it in a pot and baby it till it gets a foot or so tall and then plant it. That way I don't have to know if the seed needs to be cold first and other stuff i don't have time to be bothered with. :) I'm a bit of a take the easy way kind of tree planter.
By the way, our redbuds were really pretty this year. Dogwoods are at their peak right now.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  06:20:13 AM  Show Profile
You are going to LOVE having a plum tree! Now I wish we would have planted at least two more.

The last two harvests of my Damson plums have been GIGANTIC. You have to be patient though to wait for those delicous orbs to ripen but when they do make sure you have enough jelly jars on hand to make Plum jelly.

In the spring when the flowers are out on the tree it is a sight to behold and my whole yard smells like purple (kinda grapey)-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic adding more trees to our farm Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page