Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  11:58:07 AM  Show Profile
I am posting this under Holidays, and I know I am a bit early but I want to be ready this year for Halloween and the Autumn/Harvest time. This past year I was impressed with all the decorations of houses and yards in the area where we bought our farm...and I want to be READY this year! I am planning a harvest decoration of hay bales, cornstalks, pumpkins and the like...plus I really must find one of those flying witches stuck to a telephone pole --- do you know what I mean? DH cracks up whenever he sees one of these and I want to surprise him with one this year. (Absolutely no offense meant to Wiccans and others out there...just my zany sense of humor acting out).

I'd love to hear some ideas and sources to find such materials...I am not at all crafty but would be interested in purchase or bartering with any of you talented farmgirls. As the new farmgirl in town, I am anxious to be ready to join in with my neighbors!

Jo

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  2:38:38 PM  Show Profile
I know exactly what witch you're talking about Jo, I think they're very cute too. I've often wondered where I can find one, too because lots of people around here have them.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  3:19:54 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
lillian vernon magazine normaly carries the witch crashed into pole item

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe

http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  11:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sunshine!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  08:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Another idea - if you have time is a the cut out witch from Martha Stewart. I got her halloween edition magazine last year that had the instructions & pattern to cut a witch outline out of plywood. It is cool - not sure if I will get my act together this year to make it or not - but definitely on the list. You can probably find it on her website. The witch can stand between 5' and 6' tall. Made from plywood, with plumbing pipes on back to hold her up. Spray paint her complete black, hook a broom to one hand and a lantern to the other and put a light behind her to show the sillouhette. So cool!

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Texas
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Cynthia
Mena Arkansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  9:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Cindy Texas an AOL message
Last year I went crazy decorating for fall and I loved it so much. I put out fall garland around my door with a pretty wreath and on the outside table I put some potted mums with pumpkins around them. In my actual yard I put out two scare crows with hay and pumpkins around them. I had more people stop me and tell me how pretty all of my decorations looked. It really is nice to come home to a house that is decorated really cute for the holidays. I had also bought everything the year before when it was on clearance after Thanksgiving so it was very inexpensive.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  06:18:20 AM  Show Profile
Do you have access to any large round bales of hay? They sell for about $25 around here. A popular decoration in these parts is to paint the raw edge (end) of a round bale like the face of a jack-o-lanturn. I've also seen them painted like the face of a turkey and then large painted plywood feathers stuck around the top of the bale. Did I explain that well enough?

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  09:38:35 AM  Show Profile
For fall I usually decorate our porch with mums of all fall colors, gords and pumpkins. This year I would either like to find a fall wreath or make one. Also at Halloween, one of my favorite things to do is fill my decorative wheelbarrow with small pumpkins, then carve a few of the mini pumpkins and put christmas mini lights in them. Then when you come to the door and turn around there is a whole "chorus" so to speak of little lite up pumpkins staring at you. I've also done a headless scare crow sitting in one of our porch chairs using DH's old flannel shirt, jeans, work boots and gloves. Then I put a carved pumpkin either in his lap or by his feet, it is usually a hit with the kids.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  3:08:45 PM  Show Profile
It's only July, and I already want to decorate for fall! And, believe it or not, the tree across the street from my house already has a couple yellow leaves at the top. Yes, summer is short-lived in Canada!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
you know I sill have my welcome sign on my door from last thanksgiving. Most people don't notice it as it is in fall colors which blend into the wood door. It just reads welcome so you can't really tell it is for any spacific holiday. I never go out or in my front door so I always forget it is there.

http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Audrey D Abbott
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Audrey
Williamsport IN
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  03:16:38 AM  Show Profile
About those round hay bales - I've seen a pair of men's jeans and boots stuck out of the center of the bale. Looks like someone got rolled up in the center. Also, I've seen them decorated like a turkey - a really BIG turkey! LOL
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  07:22:06 AM  Show Profile
oh autumn .. and halloween .. my most favorite time of the year .. and the season i love decorating the most! all of it!! but "mostly" all natural .. but the whimsy of ghosts and witches do bring a smile to my lips! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2006 :  2:17:50 PM  Show Profile
I just went and bought candles today, with all kinds of pretty autumn scents. I got a Roasted Hazelnut one, a Creme Brulee one and the last one is called "Toasted Oak", it smells really warm and fall-ish. Having a candle going in the house during the fall months always seems so comforting.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  03:02:13 AM  Show Profile
I love the fall and winter too. I just found some wonderful fall candles as well. Merlot is my favorite. I have autumn pear, merlot, chestnut and autumn gold. They came with a tray and sented stones as well. Found them 75% off at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are lovely and you are right about lighting a candle during the cooler months...very comforting.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  07:36:23 AM  Show Profile
Toasted oak..now that sounds like my kind of candle!! I tend toward autumn or cinnamon type scents as my favorites anyway.
I LOVE decoratiing for fall..my favorite season!! I was just thinking yesterday about how soon I can get away with getting out the autumn boxes..there are several.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2006 :  07:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
Nice to see your here aunt george and aunt jenny. Bot it looks like a family reunion ;').

http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the great ideas! I do have access to large round bales of hay, and I really like the idea with the men's jeans and boots sticking out of the center of one! My kind of humor!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  08:56:27 AM  Show Profile
I found her!

Here's a link to making your very own crashing witch...have fun!

http://familyfun.go.com/decorating-ideas/gardening/feature/famf0902_proj_crash/

Jo
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Halloween/Autumn Decorations Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page