Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Planning first meeting... need help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Planning first meeting... need help! Next Topic  

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  10:18:06 AM  Show Profile
Okay, so I have a few friends ready to go for the first Red Dirt barefoot Farmgirls of Rutherford County, NC, but how to I explain to others I want to invite exactly what the farmgirls will do? Mostly, I anticipate them saying something like "Oh, you mean housewife stuff?," when that's not it at all. Any ideas?

Kim in NC

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  11:00:35 AM  Show Profile
When we had our first get together we just had goodies to eat and had a planned craft project to work on. Something very simple. Since you're trying to introduce the Farmgirl concept why not have goodies to eat and then have the book and some of the MJF magazines for people to look at (if you have them)?

I choose faith not fear.

Lotion bars, linen water & more in my online shop! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  12:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kim!

I'm so glad that you wrote on this topic! I was just about to ask the same thing. I'm starting up the Urban Farmgirls in Minneapolis next month and have wondered about how other chapters started and what girls did. I'm pasting my Evite invitation text below so you can see how I described MJF for the newbies.

Kay, thanks for the simple idea of just planning a craft. Simple is good! I'll be watching this thread...thanks for the tips!

Catherine

Welcome to the first official meeting and party of the latest MaryJane's Farm Farmgirl Chapter right here in the Twin Cities: Urban Farmgirls!

You are receiving this because I think that you are 1.) very cool and crafty and 2.) totally a farmgirl at heart. What's a farmgirl, you ask? This is the definition from MaryJane's Farm:

"A farmgirl believes in the strong arms of friendship, community and the just plain fun of being together. A farmgirl takes joy in the quiet satisfaction of making things with her own hands. She exudes kindness, grace, humility, gentleness, patience and generosity, and loves the simple pleasures in life. A farmgirl is loyal and caring, especially when it comes to her family, friends and community. She gives generously of her time and talents. Farmgirls love to get together to share their ideas. She can be with or without fields and stock. Farmgirl is a condition of the heart."

So you see, YOU are a farmgirl! You like to cook, or knit, or garden, or craft...you definitely love your friends and family, and you're probably way into your community. Whether or not your hands ever touch a garden or barnyard, you're so farmgirl. You like pretty things, cute things, cool things...you're SO Urban Farmgirl!

Please come to this kick-off gathering to share cool ideas, eat good potluck food and enjoy each other's company - farmgirl style!

Farmgirl treasures straight from the Farm await the charter members of Urban Farmgirls!

p.s. Visit http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/farmgirl-connection for more information on the overall organization. I have all of the MaryJanes Farm magazines and her book too, if you want to check them out!
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  2:05:19 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, here's another question I meant to ask. Did anyone else have gatherings where not everyone knew everyone already? I have a bunch of friends coming from all different corners of my life and wondered if we should play a "get-to-know-you" game or something first? Does anyone have any good icebreaker ideas?

Thanks!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  09:39:52 AM  Show Profile
I never brought up the idea of a Chapter to my craft friends cuz I just wasn't sure either how to explain it. Well - after taking two of them to Farm Fair '06 last weekend, they're asking me to start our chapter!! Yippee! We already get together all the time anyway for things like rasberry picking, crafting, junk trips so I think we'll be right there. Sending for our kit. I have to tell you all about farm fair when I get my thought together. It was absolutely a super experience and we got so many ideas.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe

Edited by - blueroses on Jul 06 2006 09:40:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  5:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Here's is what we did - our first meeting was arranged by Julia on the Southern Oregon coast, many of us did not know each other. We met in a neutral location in Eugene (between Northern Oregon and Southern Oregon), which was a church. We met, talked, had some goodies and then went to lunch and did some shopping at a flea market - very fun. Then we split the group into Northern and Southern groups. I took over the Northern group - we just had our first meeting in June as the new group - all of these girls were new members since our first meeting down in Eugene. So I had them all over to my house for brunch. We were going to go antiquing, but never made it - to much talking and getting to know each other. We shared farm animal information, talked about what each of us does either for a living, on our farms (if you have one), crafts, etc. A wealth of information was passed around from biofuel to sewing to making homemade cottage cheese. The ideas are endless. Our next meeting won't be till fall, but we plan on a plant exchange (probably seeds saved from this year, bulbs, etc) and we will meet at another member's house instead of mine - we decided to round robin meetings until we see everyone's home, etc. Also we talked about a "cross training" if you could call it that - where we share talents - sewing, painting, cookings, garden tips, animal raising tips, etc. I never used any games to break the "ice" so to speak, just good food, lots of coffee and comfortable setting where everyone could relax and just talk. It went well and can't wait for our next meeting.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan

Edited by - asnedecor on Jul 08 2006 08:11:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  5:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Anne, your meetings sound like so much fun! Thanks for the ideas. I just can't wait to get everyone together. Thanks for reminding me that's there's not usually "ice" when you get wonderful women together...I guess I'm trying to plan too much! Now that I think about it, all of my friends will love all of the other ones! I love the idea of a seed/bulb exchange...I wonder what else we could share...recipes, houseplant cuttings, garden treasures...the possibilities are endless!

Can't wait, thanks!

Catherine
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  08:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Catherine -

Like you I was a bit worried how well things would go, but everyone who came wanted to be there, wanted to get to know the other girls, etc. They just all hit it if off so wonderfully and were so excited to share information and just have "girl" time that it all fell into place and I really worried about nothing. Yes, you can exchange tons of stuff - we also talked about the recipe exchange and I did share one of brunch item recipes - which if you are having the girls at your house and you make a special "goodie" you could have the recipe all printed out for them to take home.

Good Luck, it is really a lot of fun and you and your group should have a great time.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  12:11:14 AM  Show Profile
Great thread!
I was wondering what I could do too. The Sweet Virginia Breezes Chapter of Mary Jane's Farmgirls will be organizing a meeting soon. Lady Di and hopefully Cindy driving in from California soon, my self and my two daughters will be the charter members. Great, great ideas, thanks!!

Say, Kim....Carolina girl, we are only one state apart! Maybe we could plan a get together somewhere in between this Fall?
Just a thought and your package is finally in the mail. Been super busy with my new job for the past two weeks.

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/
Thanks for checking out my apron musings!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2006 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile
When we had our first meeting I planned nothing. Not all of us had met before and there is alltogether too much to talk about to have an activity the first day. I made a little lunch and we gabbed about ourselves etc. WE may have decided who would post updates and someone brings a camera and takes pictures. At that time we decided to switch the meetings from house to house and the activity was to be the choice of the host. The first activity was housing bees in new hives, then we painted signs for the local farmers market and we have been berry picking twice. In the future we have talked about activities such as, soapmaking, candlemaking, canning and more berry picking. Blackberries and grapes still to come. Good luck, I have made great friends and I go to them for advice and support on a regular basis.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Planning first meeting... need help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page