MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  10:06:39 AM  Show Profile
Ok I think we are all familiar with Ball's canning books.

But, has any one came across some books with unusual but delicious canning recipes?

Two in my Amazon cart right now are-
Canning for a New Generation: Bold, Fresh Flavors for the Modern Pantry

It sounds awesome! Sounds like it pretty much has all the recipes I have always wanted-fig jam, tomato jam, bread and butter zucchini pickles, green tomato relish, etc. And some I didn't even know I wanted but now can't wait to try! Like Candy Pickled Apples, with Star Anise, and Strawberry Lavender Jam! mmmm I can't wait to bite into these! I grew up with pickled apples being a staple at dinner, every plate had to have a slice to be complete!

The Farmer's Wife Canning and Preserving Cookbook: Over 250 Blue-Ribbon recipes!

I love anything from The Farmer's Wife, so I am thinking I will really like it. Even though I have no idea what's really in it.

Any one know about either one of these books, like them, not like them, found them useful, or not. Found other books that were better, and you would recommend/endorse?

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 13 2011 10:08:15 AM

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:56:50 PM  Show Profile
Heather~ I'm going to check these out! Thanks for the tips!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  1:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Never heard of them, but I will track down a copy of each for myself!

I also found an old book awhile back that is a new favorite of mine. It's called "Stillroom Cookery". It's amazing and so full of recipes for cooking, baking, and canning.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  1:15:40 PM  Show Profile
Welcome.

I will look that one up Angela!

I use google a lot, and I googled Tomato Jam, and came upon a blog that had a recipe for Tomato Jam, on her blog she had a thing that showed any one else who blogged about her Tomato Jam recipe, one of those links took me to another blog that said she tried the Tomato Jam and loved it, and that she had just bought the Canning for a New Generation book, and had a link to it. So I went to it, and did the look inside and wow the index looks amazing! Some of the recipes you can even see on the look inside part of the book. She also has recipes for what to do with the canned foods after. I want to try her pickled beet pesto sandwiches-sounds like a picnic happening to me!

But, really I like unusual recipes of old-my grandmothers made things like tomato jam, sweet vidalia onion relish, green tomato relish, chow chow, etc. And I love them and was looking for recipes for such. I think this book will work!

The Farmers Wife book, I don't recall how I came upon it, but I can tell by it's index it has some of those old recipes I love too. So hoping they will work out for me! A ton of apple recipes, I NEED, cause we should have apples this year, and while I love apple butter and do plan on making it, I was hoping for a few other recipes. I am so making the pickled apple recipe, from the new book-I see winter gifts with their name on it! But, the Farmer's Wife book also had a ton of apple recipes, Apple Tomato Butter! Sounds like a find! And apple tomato marmalade is another on my list!

I've always been one to like the unique jams, and butters, and such. I mean there's almost nothing better then fresh cherry jam, or strawberry rhubarb jam, but also really enjoy the more unusual things too. And I think they will be some fun gifts to give this year as well!

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  2:56:12 PM  Show Profile
I love my book by Jackie Clay.... Growing and Canning your own food. Plus I subscribe to her blog where she is always giving out new recipes and homesteading tips. I have the blogs all saved and plan to organize them one of these days!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  6:03:04 PM  Show Profile
ok I'm looking that one up right now!

The New one I put up, that author also has her own blog, I've heard, but I haven't had time to look at it yet.

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile
I have had my Stocking up book since I got married 32 years ago. I go to that book every time I can. It also has lots of recipes and even how to make cheeses. Great book. You can tell mine is old too. I love that book. It's the only canning book I have used for years. I did get the Blue Ball book a few years ago. I like the other book way better. But the BB is more updated. Like my book has canned squash recipes. BB says not to can squash because of botulism. But I do anyway.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:40:52 AM  Show Profile
lol Kristin, I noticed the same with the Farmer's wife canning book! lol I plan on canning squash though as well, even at the risk! lol I love squash! Personally I ate it my whole life and never got botulism! So I'm not terribly worried about it either!

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  5:10:48 PM  Show Profile
My new favvorite is called "Put em Up!" It's got some really unique stuff in it, and no pressure canning, for the beginner. Freezing, drying and hot water baths are all in there though. It's got me so excited to can this year. :)

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:53:39 PM  Show Profile
JACKIE CLAY!!!!!!!!
The best of the best!!!
All my other canning books are packed away, once I discovered hers.
The book itself is nothing fancy, but Jackie is a pro, pure and simple.
She built her homestead from hand, even after her hubby died & she herself had a bout with cancer.
This lady knows from whence she speaks..
It is the best canning boook I have yet to see, & I have MANY!
Jackie ROCKS!!!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:52:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks gals will have to look those up too!

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:55:29 PM  Show Profile
grr I placed my order last night on Amazon! UHG! If only I had waited till tonight. I am looking through the Put em up book on amazon and have to have it too! I sooooooo want the fennel and onion jam! I will have to get this at the library and wait till next year to buy the book, but it's going in my Amazon cart. It's for me next year! if only! but, I don't want to have to find something else to buy to get the free shipping! UHG!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning recipe books? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page