Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 To Knot or not to Knot, that is the question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic To Knot or not to Knot, that is the question Next Topic  

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:40:32 PM  Show Profile
Ok I'm just loving the book the Prairie Girls guide to life.

However, I just got to the part on embroidering a towel, she explains how to embroider, however, one of her first steps in embroidery stitching is to make a knot in the thread.

I'm just wondering how many people "knot" the thread?

I've noticed in my findings a lot of embroidery work has knots. I'm not trying to judge any one else, or anything. But, I just prefer not to have knots. I like the finished look at the back with the back looking almost exactly the same as the front. And I also think that knots don't last as long as tying in. (knots sometimes come through to the front, they get a bit messy, and there's a lot of them when the work is finished).

I have to admit I haven't read a lot of stitching books, and no one taught me to embroider. Well, ok my 7th grade home ech class had one day on it. But, that was it. After that I pretty much just looked at other peoples work and tried to figure it out myself. One of my older friends (she's currently in her late 80's) work had no knots! Up till that point I had always knotted cause that's all I seen. I looked at her work and no knots, I looked at it closely and figured out she had tied in the thread as she made the stitches.

I am wondering do most books, classes, etc teach knotting, does any one or book teach the tying in method? Or is the tying in just not as well known, or used? Cause like I said I rarely see it. Even though I prefer it, and it's the only way I embroider, and it's the way I teach it when some one actually shows a interest in learning.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 11 2011 7:57:02 PM

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:56:02 PM  Show Profile
My mother taught me not to knot. I've seen instruction both ways. I agree with you. I don't even carry over thread on the back. :) I know I'm anal but I KNOW it is there even if no else cares. Funny I never notice these things on other peoples work. We are our own worst critics!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  8:00:57 PM  Show Profile
Same here. I am for sure my worst critic! For a long time I didn't think my stitching was up to par, then I started getting stitching gifts and they looked about the same as mine. I was just being too perfectionistic! Looking at each stitch too close! I noticed in my friends projects if I wasn't up nose to nose with the stitching it looked beautiful, looked at mine and mine looked the same! I had been thinking I was a awful stitcher cause I was looking at each stitch to closely. I figured out embroidery work is best observed like a Monet, a bit of a distance is needed. lol Not much distance, but more then a inch! lol haha

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  8:10:14 PM  Show Profile
Me too! Hard to get perspective when you make it one stitch at a time.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  8:36:34 PM  Show Profile
exactly! It's best to look at it as a whole, and not each stitch. lol haha It held me back for years, till I just finally figured that out.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 11 2011 8:39:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  9:38:42 PM  Show Profile
I think it depends on what you are embroidering with. Brazilian embroidery thread needs to be knotted as it unravels and will pull out if you do not. I find that if embroidering with DMC rayon, it too is best knotted even though it doesn't have the twist that the Brazilian thread has. Silk and cotton do fine stitched in. I don't think it is particularly "wrong" to knot, but most books teach to not knot the thread. On Blue Jeans, I always knot the thread.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  10:28:02 PM  Show Profile
I think it also depends on the quality of the floss you are using. There is a local store that sells hand-dyed floss (more expensive than the regular) and it doesn't need to be knotted. But when I use floss from one of the chain stores, such as Michael's, I knot it. I haven't been embroidering for all that long (a few years) and I taught myself, and the backs of my projects sometimes look pretty weird. But the front usually turns out just fine. I've had people compliment me on my work, even perfect strangers. I don't really like using knots, but until I get a little better, I'm going to use them.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  11:02:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't recall where I learned this, but I make a knot, then put the needle down on the front side about two inches away from the point where the first stitch will come up, and make the stitches enclosing the tail on the back. When you reach the knot, snip it off.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  11:15:11 PM  Show Profile
I sometimes knot my thread, but most often don't. I was taught NOT to knot as well.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i never knot. if i'm using a thread that unravels, instead of using two individual strands i cut a double long lenth of a single strand then fold it in half and thread both loose ends through the needle. on the backside, my first stitch runs through the loop at the end of my thread securing my row of stitches.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:39:58 AM  Show Profile
That's how I do it too Corrine.

Cindy I am sure you will be very confident in no time!

Rosemary that is very interesting I never heard of that before, but sounds like it would work well!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 12 2011 09:40:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  09:55:48 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary- That is how my mom taught me. I've been doing it Corrine's way for years now. Both work well!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  12:19:51 PM  Show Profile
I must say I do all of the above techniques but I also knot if the item is going to be sewn onto something else and no one will every see the knot. When I teach this I teach all the different ways and that way you have options - also there is no right and wrong way in my eyes, it is just the way we were taught... Have fun and I hope all thise wonderful talented women gave you some great instructions...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  8:35:00 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I'm self taught and I knot. So how is it done not to knot? Is it tied on the back? How is the thread kept from pulling out? Thanks.

Dogs never judge people, they only forgive!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  8:55:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm a knot-er too. I make it small enough it isn't extremely noticeable. Not sure how to not Knot..lol
hugs
jessie

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  10:13:39 PM  Show Profile
Ok I will try to explain. It's hard through words and not in person.

But, to start out, put your threaded needle through the fabric from the back how you normally would. Pull the thread through the fabric but not all the way out, leave a tail of thread on the back side of the fabric. The length of the tail is up to you. For me it depends on how much use the fabric will be getting, a towel or pillow cases I may use 1 to 2 inch tail, for a wall hanging maybe only 1/3-1/2 inch tail. This is all kind of by sight though not actual measuring. Then go back through your fabric to make your first stitch, you can hold down the tail with your finger for extra security that it doesn't pull through or just be very careful with your first stitch and watch it and go slowly, I do a combo of both. Then when you come back up through the back of the fabric to start your second stitch, maneuver the tail piece of thread where it will get caught in the loop/stitch that is made on the back when you are pulling the thread up through the fabric for the second stitch. Pull your second stitch as taught as you normally would, and then go back down through the fabric finishing your second stitch, you no longer should need to anchor or watch your thread for coming back out as that should anchor it. Continue making stitches however, and maneuvering the thread so that it keeps getting tied/sewn in to each stitch on the back, until there is no more tail. By, the time the tail is completely sewn into your stitches it is VERY secure, I have never had one come loose. And I use my towels heavily and same with pillow cases.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 12 2011 10:19:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  06:36:20 AM  Show Profile
There's a great tutorial for the "non-knot" method in the beginning of the book "A Rainbow of Stitches."

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  09:55:20 AM  Show Profile
*drool* Thanks Denise, I LOVE that book. It's in my amazon cart! I seen it at Michael's a few weeks ago and was sitting and drooling over the book. So far it's one of the best embroidery/cross stitch "books" I have came across. They had a lot of them at Michael's and most were hum drum. That one though is soooooo nice. For embroidery I also really like Amy Ray's books, but as far as books that cover both embroidery and cross stitch A Rainbow of Stitches is definitely at the top of my list of recommendations! I don't even cross stitch that much any more, but I don't care, I have to get those Scandinavian inspired embroidery patterns she has. They are too cute!

As far as pictures though for learning to do new stuff, I must say that Cute Stuff author has the best pictures I ever seen in a book, EVER!

Do you have J&P Coats 100 stitches book, that's also in my cart, cause of Big B's blog, which she also has amazing picture tutorials! I highly recommend her blog too! http://bigbgsd.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 13 2011 09:56:39 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic To Knot or not to Knot, that is the question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page