cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  7:32:01 PM  Show Profile
Live in the Plant City area, trying to get a chapter going, " Berry Blessed Farmgirls" a few interested ladies & several young cultivators...
Any Florida farmgirl chapters with tips on starting a group?

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

" Stand still & let God move." ~The Isaacs

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  9:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Yeah! Someone who isn't hundreds of miles from me. I live in Dunedin (Clearwater)and have been trying to see if there were any gulf coast farmgirls. So far, no replies. So even though you are still a bit far from me I am so happy to know that you are all nearby. Maybe we could meet in Tampa? or we could just keep in touch and I could be a phone/letter member? or something? I'd love to start a chapter here but don't know many people and am so busy. Anyway, so glad to hear another voice in the wilderness. Happy day, Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  11:15:40 AM  Show Profile
I don't go towards Tampa much, especially with 4 little ones in tow, but I am trying to get some activities going, like an apron sewing "bee", or a blueberry u-pick outing, or something...send me your email & I'll let you know if we come up with any activities, maybe you could join in!

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  5:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Hello Cassie Jean and Joey!

I suppose that I have missed some posts that are searching for Fla Farmgirls on the west coast. I am a local myself and seemed rather disappointed that there was no posts from local Farmgirls. Would love to hear about you!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

Happiness is in the comfortable companionship of friends.
-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2011 :  10:49:49 PM  Show Profile
Yeah Gerri! You are CLOSE. We'll be in touch. I'm leaving for 3 days to go to Daytona but I will contact you when I get back and maybe we could get together. I work at Morton Plant. SO nice to hear a local farmgirl hello. Joey

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  02:28:20 AM  Show Profile
Joey, have a wonderful trip in Daytona! Looking forward to chatting with you!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  1:16:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gerri,
Glad to find another local farmgirl! I'm a little farther away, but if I get something together around Brandon, Plant City, or Lakeland...would you be up for it?
Blueberry u-picks are coming soon....(organics are u-pick now, but are $11/lb!) Maybe on a Saturday? If ya'll have children, what ages? Would you want a sisters only pick or little ones, too? Just an idea...

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  2:27:57 PM  Show Profile
Hello Cassie Jean! I would love to do some blueberry picking! Have always wanted to, however never made time for it or no one was really interested in doing it with me. I am a youthful over 50 momma! lol! My daughter is 24 years old and still lives with me. She is looking to get out on her own soon!

Anyway, children are a blessing and having them around would be so much fun. Why not give them the opportunity and experience too! Children are my life and love to be around them. I am a Montessori Teacher here in Largo. I work with 2 and 3 year olds!

Just let me know! Generally my first and third saturday's of the month are taken with our local Weaver's and Spinner's Guild.

Are there blueberry farms around you?

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  11:51:34 AM  Show Profile
Blueberry farms all around! I'm trying to find an organic one that doesn't break our budget...
It's funny that you are a Montessori teacher, as we homeschool & use alot of Waldorf/learning thru living styled materials. (Our official "style" is Charlotte Mason, very living book, handwork, & nature oriented) Some of my favorite toy catalogs & craft books are waldorf centered. I have 1, 3, 5, & 9 year olds, all of which love hands on learning!
Obviously, I see you are a spinner~ do you ever dye your yarns yourself? My girls & I love fiber arts, & that is one thing we haven't tried yet. (We've dyed playsilks with kool-aid, & they turned out beautifully! I always knew it had to be good for something, as we certainly wouldn't drink it...) Maybe sharing a little about your craft would be good get-together. I am going to be having a needle felting workshop with a local artist sometime in May for my young cultivators (& maybe some ladies, too?)
I'll will let ya'll know as soon as I get a good place & some dates for u-picks. Thanks so much for responding!

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  9:58:29 PM  Show Profile
Well count me in, if I can! I work 2 weekends a month but I would love to go blueberry pickin and I'd love to learn to dye wool. Just keep me posted. Hugs to my "softa local" friends, Joey

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  8:43:54 PM  Show Profile
My quilt store in Dunedin told me today that MJF is the only magazine they completely sell out of every month of the year. I was surprised by that. So if there are people buying the magazine there are farmgirls over the causeway here between Tarpon Springs and Largo all the way up that beautiful coastline-I just have to find them or have them find me. Let's do a local chapter. I want some hens. Wadda ya say? Joey

Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  05:09:34 AM  Show Profile
I am a Florida farmgirl who lives way up north in Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island near Jacksonville. I wish I live closer to Dunedin or Plant City. Maybe there are some farmgirls up this way. The blueberry picking sounds like so much fun. There are blackberries near here that are almost ready for picking.
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile
So nice to hear from Florida farm girls. I had a chapter but am just doing too much so it is inactive at present.

I live in Central Florida between Orlando and Daytona. You can always do virtual activities like the swaps you see here in the forum. Many of the chapters do that for the gals who are not local to them.

If you start activities like that let me know. I run the Sunshine Farm girl co-op and that keeps me busy. I'd love to have you gals join. Do any of you make and sell handmade things?

Visit my website at www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Nancy there are farm girls up your way. Marie is in St. Augustine. I know one gal in Deland and near Kissimmee.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

weaverchic
True Blue Farmgirl

362 Posts

gerri
Largo Florida
USA
362 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  4:14:56 PM  Show Profile
Happy May Day! I have been so busy these past couple of weeks. I had a friend visit from Indiana. She will be relocating here in Florida. Rounding out the end of year at school, my time has been spent in the classroom getting things ready for "Celebration of Learning" it captures all the work that the children have done during the school year.

Cassie Jean have you researched any blueberry farms? Joey we still need to contact each other, we are so close!

Hope to hear from you soon!

gerri
Farmgirl #1197

-Pam Brown
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  5:03:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marjean for the informaion. I am not too far from St. Augustine. Kissemmee is too far.

Nancy
Farmgirl #2301
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - May 01 2011 :  9:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gerri, Happy May Day to you (even thought it is now 5/2). I remember as a child coloring pieces of contruction paper, rolling it into a cone, putting a ribbon on the top, filling it with pretty weeds and flowers from my mothers garden and leaving them secretly on the neighbors doors. We did this for many years and I had a happy chilhood memory of 5/1.
Anyway, we do need to get together-maybe Clearwater or is the Golden? Buffet still on Umbertontoward the cause way. I have a pretty difficult schedule but am free more during the week than weekends. I want to meet up with you. Just tell me when.
OK, so there are a few Florida farmgirls-I'm hoping for more on this side of the causeway but it doesn't seem that the hens are really active anywhere here in Florida, so I'm wondering if we want to start a regional or state group and just rotate where we meet maybe quarterly and possibly do some on line things together as FLA Farmgirls. I'm pretty open, especially if I know far in advanceto put it in my work schedule. Just think about it and let me know. I can cooodinate the first group if need be, and I don't mind driving aways. My SS lives in Lakeland so maybe that would work. OK gals, just tell me if anybody is interested? I have a book of one tank trips to take from Tampa if we wanted to plan an activity. Just tell me what you would be interested in. Hugs, Joey

Go to Top of Page

cjeanjellybean
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

Cassie Jean
Plant City FL
USA
71 Posts

Posted - May 02 2011 :  12:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals...I'm hosting a needle felting workshop at my place on the 6th of June (a Monday) @ 10am. This is a daughters & mamas thing...but fo those who are real close, you're welcome to come. The teacher's fee (plus supplies) is $10, & I'll need to know soon, because my daughter & I are crocheting the bookmarks we'll felt onto. The teacher is a lady from Taffy Knits in Lake Wales. Email me if your interested. As to blueberries...is Saturday the best day for ya'll? Weekdays are actually better for me, but I know that's not the case for everyone else. There is a local 4-h group that has a blueberry farm in their member roster, u-picks are 3.50/lb., I think. Have a friend who said the price just bottomed out , so they can't pay the pickers...I can ask if they would let us u-pick there, also. Just really need availibilty of those who are interested. I guess I need the time you have open in the next week or two...they'll be done by then!

0o

~Cassie Jean
Farmgirl #1356

Go to Top of Page
  Gathered Up: Previous Topic Florida Farmgirls? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page