Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What are you doing to preserve the legacy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you doing to preserve the legacy? Next Topic  

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  11:17:25 AM  Show Profile
What are you doing to preserve the legacy?

In the thread about the "women who influenced your life the most", it is easy to see all of us have been influenced by a great many mentors. From mothers and grandmothers to mothers of friends and teachers, many have left their mark on our lives making them both richer and better.

So, whose life are you investing in and how?

Are you teaching you daughters or granddaughters how to sew, to plant a garden or cut up a chicken? Are you preserving family history by sharing stories of other generations?

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  11:32:24 AM  Show Profile
That is an interesting question. I've had to preserve the legacy in a different way seeing as I could never have kids of my own (and never wanted any so don't you ladies feel bad)Being an only child,there wasn't a sibling,so I've taken up different things like learning guitar at an early age to carry on my grandmothers tradition,learning fiddle like the g-grandfather I never got to meet,making crafts in the tradition of my g-grandmother and mom,and being the keeper of the family photos.
I do enjoy teens & kids in their 20's and eventually would like to teach an instrument. I have mentored girls in the past who wanted to be in the music industry,giving them advice to keep them out of harm's way.

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  11:37:28 AM  Show Profile
I have begun scanning all of my old photos. I would like to get the ones from my parents and scan them as well. I think it would be neat to have DVDs made with music and words, but that will have to come with time.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  2:37:14 PM  Show Profile
My daughter,granddaughter and grandson. They all love the country.We share the love of animals, wild and domestic. I think teaching the country way of doing things is a wonderful legacy to leave. I learned so much from my Grandma and Mom. But, the most important things I hope I am leaving with them are the basic life attitudes and actions I believe in. Being the kind of person who is not judgemental of anyone because of color, race, religion. Different lifestyles, or different beliefs from yours. To listen and learn and take away the best of what life shows you. To be kind and compassionate try to be open minded enought to see things from anothers view point. One thing my Mom really taught me is to bloom where you are planted and make the best of where you are at different times in life. That, I hope I have passed on to them. Not to judge someone by how much money they have or don't have. Nature is a huge thing to me. I have taught them to love and respect and revere it. To appreciate the true miracles there are in nature and in life. I guess to me whether you are a country person or city or suburban that really doesn't matter. What does matter is who you truly are and that you are ture to yourself. How you treat the people and animals, friends and strangers. To me this is what God truly wants of us all. To just be kind, loving and generous to ourselves, our family and friends and people we encounter along the way.To live and let live. If they have learned anything from me,I truly hope this is it.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  3:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Bravo MJ I am with you on that!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2882
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile
I believe we all influence more people that we know just by being ourselves and living the lifestyle. I'll share how we live and what we do with anyone who gets close enough to see and ask questions. I love kids of all ages and love to have them come spend time with me on the farm. I'm the office default babysitter. Those kids come infrequently but always learn so much when they are here. The questions they ask!
I am teaching my granddaughters skills as they get old enough for them. But again I think they take in the most important parts just by being with us. The question why? gets asked a lot by all little ones and it is a perfect time to spread the word!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  4:31:54 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I have one daughter . . she is also a sister here in the Sisterhood. I have taught her many things and we are BEST FRIENDS!!!!
She's really all I've got . .
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  4:52:15 PM  Show Profile
What a great question. I love everyone's answers.
I think other than being a hands on mom and passing what I know down to my 3 kids ( and hopefully they are paying attention!!).. I have been writing down my Mother-In-Law's memories.
She moved into our home 2 months ago when when my FIL passed away. We offered her our home believing that we were going to have to fight for her to live with us among the other 5 of her children--wrong. Everyone was more than happy to "be released" of that responsibility. Anyway...that is a whole different topic!!
We've spent a lot of time together and she really has some amazing stories to tell! I have started a journal with just random stories that I can pass down to my children about what their Grandma's life was like at all different times of her life.
I wish I had a journal of my grandmother's life. I really do.

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  7:14:11 PM  Show Profile
Most of my family is dead & gone so I have become the keeper & recorder of all the family history which I have been working on for years so that I can summit it to libraries in towns that my family came from or lived for many years....My only son has no interest in any of this so I decided that people like me who want to find their roots can at least find them if they are or will be connected to me somehow someday....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  11:06:28 PM  Show Profile
I have been teaching my 4 year old niece all about chicken keeping, baking, gardening and crafts. She loves coming to my house to help me out. She recently put on a chicken presentation at her preschool- have pictures in my blog showing it. I'm such the proud auntie or Annie as she calls me.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  07:25:37 AM  Show Profile
I have taught my two daughters and my son how to knit and crochet, the girls know how to sew and my son is learning, they all cook and bake and craft, they help in the garden and soon we are getting chickens and maybe rabbits and they will learn about that. The girls have helped me can and my son will help this year. When the kids have friends over and I am doing something usually I have all the kids asking questions etc. I didn't realize but I am passing it along.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  09:44:38 AM  Show Profile
I think everyone's answers are so special and unique! It is wonderful to know the next generation will be blessed with as much know how, knowledge and grit as we can pour into them!

As I've mentioned, we have the grandkids sometime nearly every week, so it is difficult to do anything without answering a million questions....but that's good (tiring, sometimes, but good).

Michele & Teresa, I think it is wonderful you are both writing down memories that will be here for others long after we are gone....who knows, one of you may be the next Laura Ingalls Wilder!!!

I have been thinking about putting together a family recipe book, with pictures and stories about different family members. It is something I want to do, however, most cookbook publishing companies really limit you on pictures and personal stories. Now I am considering using someone like Office Max, to put it altogether once it is finished.

There are so many little things, that only my sister and I know .....and there are so many things my mil shared with me, that none of her six sons sat still and listened to her talk about. I just think, one of these days, someone will wonder who we were and what we were like?

Anyway, I am really enjoying your posts!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  11:21:21 AM  Show Profile
I don't have children or any family left (except my brother) to whom I can leave anything. Thinking about that makes me sad. Sometimes I think : for whom am i doing all this (crafting, gardening etc etc etc ) but then I think: I do it for ME. But I would love to be able to have someone to leave anything to, but alas :(

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you doing to preserve the legacy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page