Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Buying a New Sewing Machine - need advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Buying a New Sewing Machine - need advice Next Topic  

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  06:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I need to buy a new sewing machine because I specifically need one that can quilt. My current machine is great, though I can't switch the walking plate to allow for free motion. I also think I want a medium range quality--I'm not afraid to spend a little more for a Bernina or Viking or any other brand if it's worth it.

I know I'm asking a whole group of women a question that is similar to asking "Which baby is cutest?" but I'm a little lost, and I want to know what to look for/ask for when I make my purchase.

Also, I don't think I need/want the embroidery option, but if I buy a machine that has an embroidery add-on, will I be glad I did? In other words, how many of you use or love the embroidery option on your machines.

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  07:32:53 AM  Show Profile
i WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO HAVE A MACHINE THAT HAD AN EMBROIDERY OPTION! i HAVE 2 GRANDBABIES & CAN THINK OF LOTS THAT WOULD BE CUTE TO DO. ihave a Singer & love it! I wish I could afford a new one but will have to nurse mine along for awhile!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
http://farmmade.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=9&p=catalog&mode=vendor&parent=0&mid=0&search_in=all&search_str=&vid=88&pg=a
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  08:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Denise, I bought a new sewing machine about 2 years ago. It is a Singer and I love it. I went to Singer.com and looked at what all the options were. I knew I did not want all the fancy stuff like the embroidery options because I love to embroider by hand and I knew I would not use it. I knew I wanted a heavy motor that could sew through thick material and quilting. They had some machines that they were going to discontinue to make. You can look at their list to see what type of machine you want. Their list will tell you what the machine can do. They will also tell you where you can buy the machine. I bought my at BJ's and saved a bundle of money. I am very happy with my machine. It did not come in a cabinet but I found a really nice table at a second hand store that I sat it on and made a cover for it. Good Luck!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  08:28:00 AM  Show Profile
I received a Janome for my birthday about 3 years ago and I love it-it does some design stitching,very easy to use and made like the USS Constitution. Very quiet,easy to wind bobbin feature. Not made for heavy quilting but a fantastic workhorse sewing machine.

http://www.mandolinbabe.com

http://www.mandolinbabe.net
http://www.gigulele-bag.net (Zibbet Store)

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin,uke strummin, & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  12:19:43 PM  Show Profile
I have had Vikings for 15 years and wouldn't trade them for anything. Right now I have a Designer SE before that a 1+ that my daughter now has. I know they do an excellent job with quilting as well as embroidery. I have had really poor luck with Singers and the one I had before purchasing the 1+ drove me nuts as it wouldn't make a consistant buttonhole for anything. The old ones were great but the newer ones weren't worth anything as far as I am concerned. I also have a Viking serger and an Elna 5 thread serger.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  7:04:39 PM  Show Profile
One thing that I learned years ago, make sure to TRY the machine before buying. This is to ensure it is a good fit for you. I learned the hard way. As for the options, if you believe you will use them or want to in the future then ensure the machine you get will have those features. For me my machine does not have the embroidery feature, as I enjoy doing the hand embroidery by myself. I do not like the free motion quilting so I have never purchased the attachment for my machine. Even though my machine isn't considered a quilting sewing machine, I do quilts on the machine by stitching in the ditch.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  9:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
I have learned to purchase from a sewing machine shop, especially one who repairs. NOT from Joann or Hobby Lobby. I have NEW a Kenmore machine that I am exceptionally pleased with, and old Singer that I like, and a Janome Serger that is to DIE for.

My sewing maching guy is young and cute and very genuine and knowledgeable. He took over his father's business and he recommends Janome over all others. Brother and Singer are using so many plastic parts these days, the machines are virtually disposable. He warned me of this before I purchased a Singer Serger and when it was broken in 60 days, I ended up going back and buying a Janome and it was THE BEST DECISION EVER. Singer wouldn't do anything for me when the machine broke, it was a total mess, the machine was unrepairable. And it was nothing that I had done.

I will NEVER buy a singer machine of any kind. I have heard wonderful things about Husquervarna and Viking however. I would choose viking or Janome if it were me. I want it to last, and be repairable and reliable. :)

Mamma to Ardyn Isabel (9-3-07) and Marek Owen (3-31-09)

An Original Farm Girl Transferred to a small town with marriage. 6 Buff Orpington Chicks and 14 year old "Boyd the Wonder Beagle"
You'll find us Blogging, Cloth Diapering, Breastfeeding, Sewing, Gardening, Crafting and Recycling.
www.adventuresineverydaylife.com
Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  9:36:21 PM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
I also wanted to add, there are two sewing machine shops in my area that have been here for more than 20 years, and NEITHER of them will sell a singer or brother machine. One won't even sell a USED Singer or Brother because he says they are not worth the problems that come with them, and he doesn't want to put his customers through that and have them be unhappy with his business.

Mamma to Ardyn Isabel (9-3-07) and Marek Owen (3-31-09)

An Original Farm Girl Transferred to a small town with marriage. 6 Buff Orpington Chicks and 14 year old "Boyd the Wonder Beagle"
You'll find us Blogging, Cloth Diapering, Breastfeeding, Sewing, Gardening, Crafting and Recycling.
www.adventuresineverydaylife.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  04:51:29 AM  Show Profile
here are a couple of tips that may help, and I have to tell you I agree with the earlier post "try before you buy"

First, make a list of the items you intend to sew on the machine.
Now, make up a sample bag with the materials you will be sewing
(including denim if your going to repair jeans) once you have narrowed down your search, inevitably you will have 2 or 3 machines that your interested in and this is where the try before you buy comes in.

Bring in your sample materials and try sewing them on the machines your interested in. Also, be sure to learn how to thread the machine and wind the bobbin too. . . this can be a deciding factor in choosing a machine. . .at least for me! Now once your done with your comparison sewing you will "know" which machine is for you!

One other note, if the machine comes with the embroidery option, take it!! Later on you will be so happy you did!! I am a Singer girl for the most part, my Quantum XL6000 does quilting, heirloom stitching and embroidery. . . I am so in love with that machine. . would not trade it for any other!

Have fun in your search and let us know what you end up purchasing. . . I am so happy and excited for you!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  05:44:52 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i vote for husquavarna/viking. i've had mine for 7 years and love it. i do a lot of heavy sewing and have MELTED the gears in two singers.

www.barefootfashion.wordpress.com

http://www.corrinemackrell.carbonmade.com
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  09:17:28 AM  Show Profile
I have a husqvarna viking sewing machine and their serger which I love, made befor 2008 ,the year the company sold out to the company that makes virtaully all other models of machines except for Bernina.The companys brag about how light their machines are...but that is because they are made with plastic pieces wich wear out faster, as they are ment to.Singer was the first to sell out in the early 70s.Today if I bought new it would be a Bernina because they are the only company still making their own machines ,including embroidery and quilting models,except for perhaps industrial models.There are some professional quilting machines with extra space (extra long arm)to fit all the material a quilt has ,along with the extra power needed that are excelent.Check out what quilting magazines recomend in their back pages (not their advertisements)or check older machines...made in metal but they will not have longer arm that is so usefull.I used to work in a sewing machine store but left in 2008.If you buy a new machine for under 300..do not expect it to last for more than a couple of years.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  09:20:30 AM  Show Profile
Amen on the Singer problems. I got a new one from Walmart and could not even get spare bobbins for silly thing. When the gears stripped in it I took the bobbin case out of it and it fit right into an old New Home that had been sitting around for years because I could not get a new bobbin case, bought it used without. That old New Home is a dandy and has metal gears. It takes heavy fabric without twitch.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  05:10:56 AM  Show Profile
Hi Denise,
A new machine - how exciting! There are two things I've found to be important when i'm sewing. One is to be able to see the bobbin easily. I have a Janome and it has a top loading bobbin with a clear bobbin case cover. This lets you monitor how much thread is left so you don't run out in the middle of a run.

The second is the "needle down" function. My machine doesn't have it, and it's a pain. Everytime I stop I have to crank the wheel to stick the needle in the fabric, or else risking that the fabric will shift.

Good luck in your search!

Go to Top of Page

DeniseMGM
True Blue Farmgirl

110 Posts

Denise
WI
USA
110 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  06:25:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow!! I'm so so so thankful for this forum where I can ask a question like this!

All of your responses are very helpful. I love the smart advice to try out machines before purchasing, and I think it's wise to purchase from a sewing machine dealer rather than at JoAnn or Wal-Mart, especially since I intend to do more sewing of both quilting and clothing. I'm excited to buy a machine that is built to last, and my 11-year-old daughter is excited to "inherit" my current machine. It's all good!!!

Thank you all, for taking the time to help me know in which direction to start the process!

Denise - Farmgirl #1976

www.lionsdaughter.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Buying a New Sewing Machine - need advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page