Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Your celebration for the 4th
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Your celebration for the 4th Next Topic  

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  11:50:02 AM  Show Profile
We are spending the day with my husbands Grandma tomorrow, her house is right behind a huge park where the town of Cascade has a big fireworks display, so we just lug out the lawn chairs and have a prime seat for the show every year, we also have a potluck and the kids who are old enough will all get sparklers!

What are you doing this year?

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  11:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Tonight we have a parade here in town..first year they have had it at night instead of first thing in the morning on the 4th. My kids are riding on a float for a hardware store a close friend works at throwing out candy and t-shirts, it goes right past our house, since it ends at the park after going down Main street..and we live on the road the park is on!! So..we can sit out on the front porch and watch the parade go by..great fun!! Then there is an old movie (Follow me Boys) tonight at the park..everyone brings blankets and lawn chairs and it is a free movie for anyone that shows up..they put a big screen up. Then in the morning the booths at the park open..there are things going on all day over there ..lots of fun..and then a big fireworks show tomorrow night. We have family (two families) coming over to join us for a barbque and our own fireworks here first..then we will go over and sit on blankets on the high school lawn and watch the fireworks they shoot off at the fairgrounds next door...It will be a fun day!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  12:26:49 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to talk my family into driving to Savannah and spend the day at the beach and then watch the fireworks from the pier.
If that doesn't work, (and I am sure it won't - it's a four hour drive!) we will cook out with friends and my parents and then head off to Swan Lake for the fireworks there. It's just a neighborhood display over the lake, but we love going there! It lasts forever it seems, and the reflections in the water are just as pretty as what is in the air.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

lawsec03
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Melissa
Richmond KY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  1:04:27 PM  Show Profile
We are having what started out to be a small cookout for just a few people. It has now turned into a bigger one. What was going to be 3 people and the 4 of us, is now at least 8 plus the 4 of us. Not really overly large, but it is alot to feed when you are short on money! Anyway, you can see the city's fireworks from our front yard, plus we have bought our own. Should be fun.
Go to Top of Page

earthcore
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kate
Ohio
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile
We're meeting my parents at the zoo and then going to their house for a cookout. Should be a fun day. My little animal loving daughter has never been to the zoo.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  2:30:45 PM  Show Profile
We have market tomorrow, so I am baking extra to bring along and I made that dress for sale as well....hopefully a holli-dork will fall in love with it and pay me the $125 I am askign for it....LOL

Other than market, we will be going to the town we do market in for fireworks. They close of hte road by the beach and have a big street party and then fireworks. We will have Babs' daughter with us as she is coming to stay for a couple of weeks to learn baking and sewing and a few other home arts things...YAY!! Then it's her birthday...rite of passage...13!!

So that's what we are doing...

"I would not interfere with any creed of yours or want to appear that I have all the cures. There is so much to know...so many things are true. The way my feet must go may not be best for you. And so I give this spark of what is light to me, to guide you through the dark, but not tell you
what you must see."
-Author Unknown

"Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth."
— Blaise Pascal

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  5:20:52 PM  Show Profile
We're going to the parade in town. It travels "all the way down Main Street", about 1/2 mile. My daughter will be walking in it with the baseball All-Stars! After we are going to a bbq at a friend's house. We'd have a drive if we want to go see fireworks, so I doubt we'll do that. I hope you all have fun whatever you do!
Sharon
PS Jenny, I love "Follow Me Boys"!!!Hope it's fun!

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  8:42:16 PM  Show Profile
Lovin' all your farmgirl plans....My plans are still in the works.

A little banner I put together today, to help celebrate.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/

Edited by - farmgrlchick on Jul 03 2006 8:43:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  10:21:58 PM  Show Profile
We will be celebrating at home with a cookout. Our son & his band mate are here, so the family is all together. This is a rare but wonderful event these days! After this week the boys head out pretty much for the summer. They have tour dates all over the US so it will be a long time until we are all together again. I love to feed the boys when they are here-they don't get much home cooking on the road! From our front porch we can watch fireworks from 3 different communities! That tells you we are in corn country-on the flatlands! So all we do is pull up our chairs, put our feet on the rail & sip hot coffee!

Aunt Jenny-How funny to read that you are watching "Follow Me Boys"! Is this the same movie starring Fred MacMurray about a boy scout troop & their leader? We have always wanted to see it as my husband is a Scoutmaster & all three boys are scouts! Our oldest is an Eagle, our middle son is nearly there too! I'd love to hear what you think of the movie. We'd like to get it to show our troop sometime.

Karin, I'd press on for Savannah! LOL Sounds wonderful!
Hope everyone has a great 4th whatever you have planned!
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  12:16:24 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful Movie..we loved it!!! Our boys have all been scouts and the youngest two are cubbies now (a bear and a webelo) I have been a cubscout leader many times and STeve was an 11 year old scoutleader for a few years.
How fun to be able to see fireworks from so many places!! WE have a few too many mountains here for that...but will get to see a great show right here in town.
Heard tonight that there is a 50% chance of rain. I hope it isn't at a bad time!!! We had a little tonight during the parade..just a nice sprinkling though..didn't stop anything and was gone within a 1/2 hour.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  05:02:42 AM  Show Profile
We are cooking out. The neighbors have a swimming pool and have invited the kids to swim sometime today. They will then shoot off a few fireworks. We took the girls to the big fireworks two years ago, and it scared the beegeebers out of them. They won't go back, so we will probably watch the National Fireworks on TV again this year. We are also making firefly jars today to catch fireflies tonight. Other than that....not much. ABBASGIRL: what is your son's band's name. Are they coming to Richmond, VA? I'll fix 'em up a great homecooked meal if they come here. My son is going to Austin in the fall and joining a band there. He is a base player.

All ya'lls celebrations sound like sooooo much fun. Have a great 4th!!

Georgann
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  08:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Abbasgirl, What band is your son in? My husband is a music nut, that would be neat if it was someone he was really into or something!

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  08:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ohhh... I am so homesick! No plans here the day has come and gone with me watching 3 extra little ones. So I have been home with 7 kids all day and no sign its a holiday here. Thank you all so much for sharing it brought a smile to my face! Please have a wonderful 4th and think of me when you hear those wonderful national hymns and see the beauty of the fireworks!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  1:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Georgann, The boys have 2 VA dates this tour. They will be in Fredricksburg on 8/7 and in Chesapeake on 8/13. Don't know if that's near you. I am including a link where you can see the details. :)
http://www.slingshot57.com Just go to the tour page & you can see if they will be near you. You should take the kids out for a rock show!
So your son plays bass? How old is he? And he is going to Austin (TX) to join a band? Do you know the name of the band? My middle son plays bass too. Music has been so great for my kids!
Bobbi, we love music too! Not sure your hubby would have had a chance to hear Slingshot57, but he may have. They are an indy band, but do get a lot of radio play in some areas. He can listen to bits of their music on the website-also on their myspace account. There should be a link. Their sound is changing a lot, I like the newer music better. I hope they get samples up soon! Oh by the way, my son is Nash, the blonde in web photos. :) He plays lead guitar & does BGV's.
Awwww Buttercup...I've had those kind of holidays too. So sorry you are homesick. Just think what a blessing it is for those little ones (& their momma) to spend the day with you! When I'm down doing for someone else always makes me feel better!
Aunt Jenny, hope the weather holds for your fireworks! The mountains sound lovely, although I do love the sound of wind rippling through the corn. :) We will definately have to check out the movie! Thanks for the recommendation.
I get to play a bit before dinner. The boys are off recording until later so here I am! Have to hustle in a bit. Nash invited an exchange student from Austrailia to join us too! I'm looking forward to chatting with her! Always extra people here.
Blessings,
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  3:27:57 PM  Show Profile
We are supposed to go to the annual BBQ being hosted by a friend of hubby. He owns some land with a huge pond on it. Lots of BBQ, beer and fireworks. Fireworks make me nervous but half the Enif Fire Dept will be there and the pond is full. So I guess we'll be in good hands.

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  4:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Rhonda!! And no "mommy" just extra kids..their parents are on vacation...so I have 6 kids 5 and under It is a zoo I tell you!!! LOL Hope you all are having a glorious day!!!
Hugz...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  9:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
We went to Des Moines boating last night with some friends and watched fireworks from the boat. It was wonderful!! Then tonight we watched our towns firwork dispay from the gravel road, set up some lawn chairs and enjoyed the show!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2006 :  08:24:27 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
We lazed around most of the day (since I worked 3rd shift), then we grilled hotdogs here at home. We took off in the evening and went to Busch Gardens, we listened to Dennis DeYoung perform a ton of old Styx songs followed by a great fireworks display. Then we came home and crashed. It ended up being a pretty good day, just wish hubby had today off too, since I didn't work last night and am not as incoherent for so much of the day today!

Katee

A life without love is like a year without summer.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  9:25:07 PM  Show Profile
honey hunk and i celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary on July 4th .. we travelled to the most charming little town in Indiana (New Harmony).

We loaded up on iced tea, fruit and cookies .. and headed down the road! We played 70's Rock and Roll REAL LOUD and jumped and jived .. arms' flailing .. hand's clapping .. heads swining .. bodies swaying ti'l that van about rocked off the road! A trip down memory lane .. of when we first met!

Arrived in New Harmony about dinnertime (OF COURSE .. we stopped at every antiques shoppe in our path .. THAT is one of those 'love' things he endures in me! Got some fun 'farm garden stuff' .. We stayed at the beautiful Inn in Harmony with a rolling green hill and lake at our patio door.

Had a delicious dinner at The Red Geranium Restaurant (sooooooo cute and delicious food! .. wandered to a nearby town for fireworks .. then decided we'd rather go back to the Inn and make our own fireworks! (did i say that out loud?) .. but NOT before watching the soccer tournament between Germany and Italy ... THAT is one of those little 'endurances' i cheerfully do because i love hank.

July 5th .. after a nice breakfast, we walked all around town .. taking photos of this sweet little Utopia! About dinner-time .. we headed home .. stopping for a SUMPTUOUS dinner (for which my blood sugars paid dearly!) at the Lodge at Rough River Park. Then home-again .. home-again .. to wake up to yet another beautiful day!

A most wonderful and memorable Independence Day celebrated together. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  07:00:03 AM  Show Profile
Oh Frannie thats beautiful! We are just approaching our wittle bitty 5th anniversary, it's such an inspiration to hear of people who still like eachother by their 30th! Congratulation on that and I am glad you had a wonderful time!

Bobbi

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2006 :  6:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Speaking of anniversaries, the 4th of July is ours, and we just celebrated 19! For the past 3 years, we've (my husband, son and I) gone to Eden Pines Inn in Rockport, MA...it is a wonderful B&B. My parents-in-law have gone with us the past two years, and will be there with us next year to celebrate our 20th. It may seem odd to take your parents-in law, but we know they won't be able to do it for too much longer, and the memories we make are special, especially for my son.

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2006 :  2:52:19 PM  Show Profile
I got Older!!!! (It was my Birthday)

I actually had a wonderful peaceful day reading and watching Sex and the City series on DVD [a wonderful girlfriend is loaning them to me to watch]. We went to the "Best" Pizza place for supper and then sat outside and watched everyone set off the fireworks!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Your celebration for the 4th Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page