kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2011 :  4:26:41 PM  Show Profile
I am not sure if that's the way to spell it. But I saw a post on someone's blog last week and now can't find it. I looked it up in Nourishing Traditions and it's got the same ingredients but she calls it just pickled beets, I think. So has anyone made this? I got some good organic beets and some fresh whey from my friend. I want to try it. I will have to do it tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has made it and what ya think of it?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  4:58:58 PM  Show Profile
I have not made it, but keep us posted!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  09:17:46 AM  Show Profile
I am roasting the beets right now. They have a few more minutes to go. Then I will jullienne them and put in a jar. I'll add water, whey and some salt then refridgerate for a few weeks.

I also just cut up the leaves, put them in a jar added salt water and put them in the fridge. The water is supposed to be full of good stuff. Just add a little to a glass of water and drink.

I will be growing lots of beets this year again. I will probably can as many as I can. They are so good for you.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  3:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Never made kvass, but I am intrigued at the twist of making it with beets. It usually is made from stale rye bread.....kind of hard to think of it as the same thing lol.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  4:52:17 PM  Show Profile
I only got 6 beets. So I only got a pint. But I tasted some and had to make myself stop. They were so good. It seems like in Wild Fermintation he adds bread to his. I'll have to go look. I wish I could remember where I saw this blog about the beet kvass. I am really bad anout that. I read so much then forget.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Catherine
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Catherine Ann
Temple TX
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  6:19:36 PM  Show Profile
I plan to make kvass when I harvest the beets from my garden. I do remember reading somewhere that it can be made with bread, which sounds odd .... beets or bread?
Like you Kristin, I read so much I often can't remember where I read something ;) !

http://stillroomherbs.blogspot.com
http://lovelivingsimply.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #1801

Judge each day not by the harvest you reap but by the seeds you plant. ~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  09:25:06 AM  Show Profile
This stuff is so good. The juice is thick now. Now very sour though. I'll give it a few more days on the counter than it calls for. But it is good.

Has anyone ever tried kimchi? I made some last year. It's spicy. You can make it really hot with hot peppers. But the one I made I didn't put any in. I did use ginger and it seemed like every bite I would get some ginger. I am going to try some more when I start getting fresh veggies again.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Beet Kvass? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page