Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic unexpected compliments Next Topic  

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  08:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Last Saturday, my mom and sister decided they were coming up for a visit. I wanted to make some Sourdough bread, cuz my mama makes the best spinach dip on the planet. At 10am, the house smelled of baking bread, and Orange wood oil(got my DH to freshened up the tables for company;). Just before they arrived a beautifully dressed Kirby salesmen showed up. They'll get that one pesky spot off your carpet if you listen to their whole speel, so why not...I left my last Kirby with my ex-husband.

After about 20 minutes if his endless chatter, he needed to use the sink in the kitchen. He said, "It smells good in here." Then he saw the two cooling loaves on the counter. He said, "you baked this? Like, stick your hands in the dough, kneaded it and stuff? Wow!" It felt so good. This kid was only 24 years old, but more than my families compliments on the flavor, this reaction put me on cloud 9! Before he left, he passed my starters. Most are about 3-7" now. There's tomatoes, bell peppers, chives, lavender, peas...all from seed, and he asked if the kids we doing a school project. Ny DH answered no, they were his wife garden starters, and the salesmen went on and on.

It was time for him to go, after somehow convincing my DH we needed a Kirby,¦:-$, and lunch was ready. I packed him up a bbq'd hamburger, potato salad, and juice. On his way out, he said "I want to sell to people like you everyday. I want to just stay, clean your house, smell bread, and watch veggies grow."

This city boy, in his Italian shoes got a four hour dose of our country hospitality, and wanted more! Only guess on how that would happen, get out of the city, and sell Kirbys to farmgirls?!?

Well, the whole experience made my week, not just my day. The whole thing just felt so darn good. I had to share! Keep bakin' bread gals; great is the reward.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:45:39 AM  Show Profile
I agree completely!!! I loved the comments from the in home nurses my MIL had comin over after her heart attack. It was based on sheer amazement at your ability and drive instead of the desire to have someone else cook dinner for them, which I swear is the only reason my girls say they like it. I made beef stew once that was too salty, but they all insisted it was great and ate it all up. Lazy bunch, I swear!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  1:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Angela, my first apricot and pineapple perseveres were not so good. Very plain...but my kids gobbled it up, and said it was Yummy. Funny. Oh well, that was years ago my bellies and preserves have improved vastly over the years! I am trying so hard to teach my kids everything I do on the kitchen. Both my DD's and my DS's. Hope the lazy doesn't ever apply to them in the kitchen, like it does in the yard, and in cleaning their room!!!

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  2:08:11 PM  Show Profile
Reminds me of a story. I mentioned that I was canning beans to someone at the office. She screwed up her face and said " Why would you do that? It is so much work and just makes your kitchen so hot." It was the middle of July. I told her I do it because I like to eat them! I brought her a quart the next day. A few days later she came into my office with a check in her hand and a sheepish grin on her face. She wanted to buy as many quarts as I would sell her. Instead i invited her over and taught her how to do it. She went home with 8 quarts and a new found appreciation for organic practices and home grown food. I had so much fun teaching and sharing my life with her. The next year I helped her prepare and plant her own beans. They did pretty well despite a bit of neglect. We canned those beans together too. It was a real change to have someone ask "How's the garden?" in the hallway at work and really want to know!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  8:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annette- That just made my day! I love that you opened your house to him and even while he was doing his job you were showing him the love and generosity in your spirit. You are a wonderful lady! Great job!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:11:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oh Alee, you have got to be the cute thing ever. What a sweet comment! The unexpected compliments continue!! Thank you Alee!(((hugs&hearts)))

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  11:27:38 PM  Show Profile
That is SUCH an awesome story, Annette! I believe you may just have started a farmboy seed in that city boy's heart - who knows what will blossom from your farmgirl hospitality! Now that's farmgirl spirit! You GO girl! Great job! Hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  06:32:32 AM  Show Profile
Annette. I love your story!! Do you realize the memories that you made for that young man? I becha he'll think of that moment for a long time. Bless you for blessing him!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  07:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
No, you guys are sweet. So sweet I shake my head at your posts! It was I who was blessed by him. Making bread, growing a garden, bbqin' burgers for lunch, even VACUUMING they are just part of my day. Commonplace, and slightly taken for granted by my family, and even by me, myself. His fasination and excitement rekindled something in me, making me just thrilled to be a farmgirl, even though we left the farm last year. It recharge me. It reminded me who I am. It was I who was blessed, and cloud 9 smells of bread, soil, and Kirby carpet shampoo! Lol

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  09:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Stories like this and the farm girl responses and encouragement to each other are probably a big reason why I keep coming back to this site.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  06:32:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh this is a good one! A little country hospitality can go a long way. I live in a military community and they could sure use country hospitality. Just because I dont' technically live in the country anymore doesn't mean I've lost the ways. Anyways, keep up the good work. I think the world needs that good ol' country hospitality. I think some things are lost to all the city people. I run across people like that everyday. And then don't realize how easy so many things are.

I had a friend who said one day " I'd wish I knew how to make jam". Well I had been thinking about making some strawberry, it was the season. So I told her this and we had a conversation like this.

Me: "Jam is pretty easy I was going to make some you want to do it with me"
Her" yeah sure....some homemade bread would be so nice to have with my jam"
Me "oh yeah I have an a real easy bread recipe we can do that to."
Her " oh sounds so fun, I'll buy some butter for our jam and bread, wish I didn't have to buy it
wish we could get some fresh butter"
Me "oh my girl butter's easy to make too, we'll just have a big day of jam, bread and butter"

Her and I got together and that's exactly what we did one morning. She still to this day talks about that and has gone on to try so many other "home arts". I had so much fun sharing with her and she really thought all of that was impossible.

Keep spreading the farm cheer!

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Reins, Yummy!! I have been wanting to make butter for years. I finally remembered to ask my grandma if she has a churn. She said no, so I'm looking for an old one. Then I'm going to go pick her us, and have her spend the weekend with us. Teaching me and my kiddos to make butter. There are a couple of dairies on the way, I am going to see if my FIL's friend will share a bit of milk, from there, maybe let the kids see it from start to finish....fun!!

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  08:59:00 AM  Show Profile
Neat story Annette!
I just posted somewhere here where I make butter by merely putting organic whipping cream in the food processer, lettin her rip, & in 5 minutes or less you have butter!
Drain the buttermilk & kind of squeeze if out, add salt if you want, & refrigerate or freeze.
Easy peasy, tastes better & is cheaper than icky store butter.
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  2:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Lisa thank you, thank you thank you, buying whipping cream today!!

Go to Top of Page

pmburk
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pamela
Fort Worth TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  08:40:25 AM  Show Profile  Send pmburk a Yahoo! Message
These stories are so fun!

I love to cook, bake, and can. I work full time in an office, and we frequently have potlucks. For most people, this means showing up with a bag of Doritos. I had to laugh because once I brought shepherd's pie, and I overheard someone asking who brought it, and another coworker replied, "Well it is homemade, so it must have been Pam." LOL! Whenever I have given jelly or salsa to someone, they act so shocked that I not only made it myself, but with items from my own garden.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic unexpected compliments Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page