Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  06:56:11 AM  Show Profile
So my eleven year old Maytag Neptune washer started having fits. I could push any button, and nothing would happen unless it was unplugged/ plugged back in.

Sunday night, it had some water in it, so managed to get it to run spin cycle - then ran regular cycle again.

Came downstairs Monday morning, opened the door to put the clothes in the dryer -- and GOT NIAGRA FALLS. The entire washer was full of water, WAY higher than it was supposed to be.

What a mess. Seems the computer fritzed out - $300 to fix with no guarantee that it would fix.

So - the good part is I have a brand new (red!) set coming on Thursday. Meanwhile - I have several piles of wet clothes in the house, since I have the habit of leaving all the dirty ones laying in front of the washer!

Question for all you ladies - These new washers want HE detergent. I was just going to use my homemade liquid. Will that work ok?

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile
I use my homemade powdered detergent in my front loader with no problem. I use 1-2 tablespoons, depending on dirty-ness of load. Homemade is low sudsing, which is what HE front loaders need. Enjoy your new red appliances.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  7:44:30 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention: After you wash a load in a front loader, be sure to leave the door open. Many people have a problem with a moldy, mildewy smell if they don't. It hasn't be a problem for me because I live in dry, dry, dry West Texas, but I leave it open to dry out just in case. This must be a pervasive problem -- it's why Tide has come out with a "washer cleaner" product.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  8:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Bev- Yes! The homemade works great!! Congrats on the new machines. My mom just got some and I jokingly said "Look these are so fancy they will sing and dance for you!" Uhm... Yes... It actually does sing.... well it plays a little song when you start and when it is done!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  08:17:49 AM  Show Profile
Ooohhh, I have had the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer for years now....our only problem so far was the seal around the washer door got a chip in the rubber and started leaking water all over. The seal ended up needing to be replaced. Now, I have noticed the washer making a really loud whirring noise when it is in the spin cycle..kinda worries me and really upsets the cats;/

The Maytag repair man gave me some useful advice when I had it fixed...to ward off the pesky mildewy smell...the Tide packets are good, but a cheaper method is some Tang...it is just as good and not as expensive...I tried it and it does work. I was wondering about using homemade laundry detergent in my HE machine because I knew it had to be low sudsing....thanks for the tip. Excited to try it soon.

Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  12:38:17 PM  Show Profile
I hope you love your new washer/dryer! I'm still using ones from the 80's that were handmedowns. I drool when I look at those nice new ones!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile
FINALLY got the new washer and dryer today. Didn't realize I got large capacity - but they hold HUGE loads. The clothes are practically dry when they come out of the washer.

So as of today, I have officially been married for three beds, three couches, and four washing machines! (another way to say for a very long long time!)
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  7:24:42 PM  Show Profile
Hahaha....love the little sentence at the end of the comment there Bev!!! We have had the same "full" size bed we bought at auction 18 yrs ago...it is so old. I just can't get rid of it...oh and we are short people so we fit just fine it. I am 4'9" and hubby is just a bit taller. Glad you like your new washer and dryer....praying my Neptunes don't call it quits now. Erica:)
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  02:38:43 AM  Show Profile
we have a front loading washer at work for bat net & equipment decon-I looked in it yesterday and I need to REALLY clean it! YUCK!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  08:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Homemade soap works great just remember to use the least amount possible. I have found that if I run my last load (with or with out clothes) with a small amount of bleach and leave the door open to dry. No need to use those expensive wash machine cleaner tablet because all they really are is bleach anyways.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 5
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  08:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Bev, wanted to say too, that the front loading washes have a filter on the pump. There is also a little drain hose. A lot of my family bought new washes when my DH and I did, and the kept complaining about a wet musty smell. The filter and the used water drain out, and leave solid debris and a small amount of water, that gets stagnant, if not cleaned out...often. It only takes a minute, and I've never had a smelly washer. I guess they didn't know they needed to do this. I showed them, and now we all love our new washers.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Front load washer mayhem Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page