DebraJean
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Deb
Washington County OR
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  12:53:29 PM  Show Profile
I'm new here. There are so many stories to read, so many wonderful women to begin to get to know. I decided to start with active topics and was immediately pulled into this forum. Washing dishes by hand - such a simple act. We also have a machine that came with the house; none of us really like it, yet I keep loading it, out of habit I guess, especially after a particularly messy dinner. I try to clean as I go, but we all know that doesn't always work. Then the sink is full, I'm tired, and - hey! a machine!

My son, who has a bit of the O. and the C. and the D., pulled a dinner plate from the cupboard last night, inspected it, and asked if it had been hand-washed. When I lied "yes" he said, "Good. The dishwasher never gets anything really clean." I was relieved: I thought he'd prefer how "sterile" the machine supposedly makes everything, especially silverware. But he, too, has pulled two spoons (that had literally been spooning) from the silverware basket and has moaned "Ew!" upon seeing a bit of peanut butter holding them together. So, I was relieved...and disappointed in myself for lying to him. After reading what you ladies wrote here, I am hereby committed to washing all of our dishes with my own two hands - and showing my son how to properly wash them with his, too. Besides, I love the way the hot sudsy water warms my hands on chilly mornings. I stand over the sink, look out the little window, and, like many of you, find myself thinking of my grandmother as well, in her slippers and housecoat, and I wonder if she's watching me. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a bottle of Mrs. Meyer's. As I wash, I am going to think of that lovely new storage space I'm going to have.

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Edited by - DebraJean on Apr 09 2011 1:16:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2011 :  2:51:15 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Debra! Washing by hand can be tedious, but, as everyone has said, it does have it's rewards :). I mainly hate the smell that dishwashers emit.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

RedGateGal
True Blue Farmgirl

94 Posts

Danielle
Watertown TN
USA
94 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  04:52:09 AM  Show Profile
We have a dishwasher but I LOVE to wash dishes. Yes ladies....I said it...LOVE. In fact, there are clean dishes in the dishwasher that my hubby loaded...I think they have been there for 3 weeks now. My husband does not understand why I continually have clean dishes drying on a dishtowel on our counter. I'm not sure I can explain it. I get great joy from washing dishes and watching the animals in the barn yard from my kitchen window. It never really seems like work. It's never mundane and there's always a critter doing something that's interesting to watch.

Farmgirl Sister #2574
www.redgategal.blogspot.com

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  08:32:13 AM  Show Profile
Well now I know I'm not nuts, preferring to wash dishes by hand rather than shoving them in the dishwasher! We do have a dishwasher we use for the big loads when we have guests over, and I'm very thankful for that! : D

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2011 :  5:21:17 PM  Show Profile
Myfavorite Aunt was named Tressa and lived on the farm I spent a lot of time on. She gave me the love of washing dishes by hand when she'd say "Many Hands make light work" and promise time to sit in the porch swing and watch the sheep if we'd do it together. Washing dishes used to be a communal affair if you had lots of family to take turns. It's just the two of us now but my husband grabs the towel and I wash. We've been washing dishes together for 49 years!

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2011 :  2:09:50 PM  Show Profile
I have a dishwasher, that only gets used when my kids are all here for the weekend. With just me, washing up is a snap. I do like washing them, but I have to have a window with a view.

I wear my cape around my waist.

http://myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com

http://www.turnerhilltea.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RawPrairie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Teree
Sonora CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  10:13:06 AM  Show Profile
I too have a dishwasher but rarely use it. I love washing dishes by hands and without gloves...it warms me to the core! It's simple therapy...and I enjoy every moment. I have a corner sink with a large window on each side which really puts me in touch with my environment! I can watch squirrels play or birds feeding...also deer grazing (usually on my lovely flowers yipes!) It just grounds me. I loved what you wrote Cris as it flooded my mind with lovely memories of family gatherings that ended with the women all dish washing together. It's something I really enjoy but just took for granted...I plan to make it part of our family tradition now even if it's just around the holidays, because it does create fond memories and a time to really slow down and connect! Thank you!

Teree~
Farmgirl Sister #2548

Not everyone can be a star...but everyone can twinkle!
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  05:08:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the wonderful memories. My sister and I always had to wash dishes and we would sign songs while we did it. She is 10 years older than I am and I still have fond memories of that. I do it now with my granddaughters. We sang songs like Michael Row the Boat Ashore and A Bicycle Built for Two.

I just got a dishwasher two years ago and I do use it occassionally. There are just the two of us now but the grandkids love to put on aprons and help when they are here.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  07:21:11 AM  Show Profile
We don't have a dishwasher, so all our items are done by hand. My DH loves to tell this joke - "How can you turn your dishwasher into a snowblower? Hand your wife a shovel". (I don't think it's too funny). BTW, he does the dishes too!

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. ~ Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2011 :  1:26:18 PM  Show Profile
I have been washing dishes by hand for many years and I remember the friendships with other women when we were doing them for church or the blessings of doing them with my aunts and grandma but the most special for me is the time my husband takes to grab the towel and dry while I wash. Over the years we have talked about the kids, our finances, what goes in the garden and all those other day to day mini conversations that piece together our life together. I watched my grandpa do this for grandma and my fil do it for my husbands mom. Life and love is in the small things. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2011 :  4:46:20 PM  Show Profile
Great topic! I too wash all my dishes by hand. . . even when there was a dishwasher available to use. There is something magical about doing this simple daily chore. You get to day dream as you set about the task of cleaning everything from the days meal. Memories of my Nana and Grammy come to mind, the long conversations we had as I helped. I know many view this as something they hate to do. . ..I did as well, until one day I really thought about why I hated it so. . . turns out I was missing my Nana and Grammy! So I have a special "Date" with them each day when I wash my dishes. A chance to share the daily happenings in my life with them, share my daydreams too! Now I so look forward to washing the dishes and spending time with my two favorite women, after all,who could resist. . . we all put on our favorite work apron and "Get it done" farmgirl style, even if they are only here in spirit!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
www.countrycents.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
http://twitter.com/NHJoanna
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  09:54:17 AM  Show Profile
we wash all our dishes by hand... being a mom or 3 boys, it is a lot of dishes! the boys are told if you use the dish or the cup, you really should wash it. this really cuts down on the extra dishes. they use to take a drink, finish put the cup in the sink than go for another cup... than we had to put our foot down you use it you wash it! now my oldest says mom, I'll be right back i am going to use it again.
p.s.we are boycotting disposable paper products, plates, cups, napkins and paper towles. we use tons of cloth napkins and dish towles all day!
Go Green! as my boy's say

LorraineMichelle
Farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - May 31 2011 :  2:42:57 PM  Show Profile
Yep! I've loved not buying papertowels. I am, however, going to try making my own baby wipes with them. I bought 2 rolls. I'm also going to use cloth wipes and see which I like better.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DeborahLee
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Deborah
Starkville Mississippi
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  2:28:33 PM  Show Profile
Growing up, my mom used to call me and my brother her "dishwasher"! I do have one now but I live in apartment and space is at a premium. I use it for storage (it holds large pans well!) and simply wash everything by hand. After all those years of wanting a dishwasher, I found it noisy and expensive when I had one.

Deborah

Professor, librarian, writer and farmgirl!
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  04:42:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi All :) I am like Deborah, I use mine for storage. I have always had a dishwasher but prefer hand washing ;) My friend is in love with hers & thinks I am nuts. All I can say is I love my pretty rubber gloves :)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

Mariebelle
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Marie
Clarkston WA
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2011 :  09:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I do some dishes by hand- all my vintage stuff, other things i do use the dishwasher, but this sure cuts down on dishwasher use. I am a LPN at a surgery center so my hands are in soap and water all day, i think my hands look older than they should be. Any tips on keeping dishpan hands from looking older than they should? I dont like to use gloves while washing dishes, i tend to drop them more.
One Thanksgiving at my sister's (she does not have a dishwasher) she has a small kitchen so after the meal and before dessert to save time and space she put dirty dishes in the oven- to wait till later. So after dessert we washed the dessert dishes and i was surprised how fast we were done "cleaning" up, she said "oh, no we're not done" and she opened the oven and i saw all the dirty dishes that still needed washing. She still laughs at me over that!

Born in the wrong era...
Marie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Washing Dishes By Hand Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page