tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  11:15:14 AM  Show Profile
I have just started my adventures with pressure canning, I have canned using a water bath canner for many years. (pickles and jellies) I purchased a pressure canner 2 years ago and I hate to admit I was intimidated by it and used it for the first time last week. Last week I canned collards and I am canning chicken and broth today. I am looking for any ideas you ladies might like to share.

Does anyone can leftovers, or only fresh meat and produce? I have a large piece of pork in the freezer, left over from Sunday dinner and was thinking about trying to can it with bbq sauce for sandwiches. Has anyone ever tried this and if so did it work?

Tina

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:50:50 PM  Show Profile
I've canned meatballs in sauce.. but never any fresh meat products.
I usually make a big pot of sauce and can the left over so I have it on hand without having to make a big pot of it.

But, One time I was in my horse trailer and I made meatballs and sauce, and I had a big quart size mason jar, so I tried to can the leftover sauce....... Well about 3 weeks later the jar exploded. I have no idea what happened but it was like someone dropped a red sauce bomb in our cabinet. it was the summer, and it might have heated up and blew up, but I just have never had that happen to me before..

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:41:08 PM  Show Profile
Tina look at okie farm girl on page 2 of this site. Her blog is Oklahoma pastry cloth. Look you will see. she cans all kinds of fresh meat including sausage for breakfast. I am going to purchase her pastry mat. It looks very good. Farmgirl #946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Linda, thanks for sending Tina to my website and blog. I'm glad that you have found it useful!

Tina, I do can just about everything there is to can. :-) I have a number of posts on canning chicken, chicken broth, sausage, etc. Future posts will include canning fresh rump roast, ham, smoked meats, etc. I post about twice a week. If you go to the blog link below, look to the right under categories and click on "Canning and Food Processing" and see if there is anything of interest to you. Congrats on your canner and your desire to can! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and Tina, in answer to your question, yes, I can leftovers. If I make soup or stew, I'll make a huge pot, serve it and then can the rest. Regarding the pork, it should do fine. I can smoked pork that we smoke on the grill. However, I don't include the bbq sauce in the process. I wait until I am ready to use the meat and then add the sauce as I am heating it after dumping it from the jar. Sometimes sauces get a funny flavor from being super heated in the canning process. Also, when canning leftovers, make sure to fill up as may jars as possible to fill up your canner. You can mix jars of leftovers because they will all process at the same time if it is meat.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  06:33:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Mary Beth, I went to your blog and found it very helpful. I searched the web yesterday for ideas and ran across a site on canning sausage, I had never thought about canning sausage until yesterday, when my husband can go hunting which is not much in recent years we alway made sausage from vinson. I am short on freezer space (gave mine to my daughter, she has 4 girls and needs the freezer more than I did). Tara I will try the meatballs in sauce, I usually make too much when I cook. Do you also can the spaghetti? I read somewhere that you shouldn't can rice or pasta. I know that just because it isn't FDA approved doesn' mean you can't do it. Thanks for your help.

Tina
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  06:41:47 AM  Show Profile
Tina, I love canned sausage. It is wonderful to have with biscuits. I don't know if you found my directions for canning sausage, but if you did, notice how to cook it AFTER you open the jar of meat. It is important how you fry it so that it doesn't taste mushy.

I can spaghetti sauce, but not the spaghetti. Because spaghetti keeps so well dried, I make my sauce and then boil the spaghetti as I need it. Pasta gets really, REALLY mushy if you can it. I do put penne pasta or noodles in some of my soups, but I put it in raw before I can it. However, you have to be careful to put just a little raw pasta in because it expands.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  6:49:48 PM  Show Profile
Tina, Hmm I have never canned the pasta, I rather just make more. But, I was thinking what Mary Beth said.. It would get mushy..

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic What do you can? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page