Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  10:54:24 AM  Show Profile
If you could learn one new hobby, craft or thing ~ what would it be?

I would love to learn how to make stained glass. It is my dream.

How about you?!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:55:10 AM  Show Profile
I would love to learn rug making. I have tried and tried, but never get very far. Jewelry making with wire wrap would be my others. When it comes to it I am all thumbs. LOL But I'd love to learn!
hugs
Jessie
P.S. Great topic, Cheryl!! <3

"Wonder Woman hasn't got a cape, she just turned her apron around"
Farmgirl Sister #235
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:16:08 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Knitting, crocheting, or tatting. Yes, I know that's three - but any one would do. I'm a leftie and it makes learning some of the "traditional" needlework challenging. I took a knitting class for left handers, only to discover I knit right-handed. The instructor kinda kicked me out - because she wasn't teaching my method (she was really nice, but I still don't know how). I don't have enough control in my right hand to do the fine crochet work, so I imagine tatting (what little I know about it) is out too. So, any of the three would suit me!

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:47:33 PM  Show Profile
I would love to do anything! Crochet, tat, knit, paint, sew, these are all foriegn concepts to me. I will learn a little at a time, but I have to get my homestead goin first. Then the winters will be all mine for learnin new things!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Don't start me...

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:03:33 PM  Show Profile
Karen, that's funny....and kind of the way I feel.

Angela, I always have these grand plans for winter....not sure what happens to them! LOL

Holly, DS#1 is a lefty and he had a time learning to play the guitar, but he did succeed. Maybe if you got a book and just worked on it by yourself a little at a time. Sometimes, we are better at figuring stuff out than we think.;)

Jess, I would like to make a rug, too! Maybe we could challenge each other this fall or something. Jewelry making would be great, but it is a little too expensive for me. (Just saying)

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13628 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13628 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Right now I'm teaching myself to tat. Then it'll be crochet . . maybe. But since spring and summer are coming that may have to wait until next winter.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:56:20 PM  Show Profile
Crocheting for sure!

I wish we lived closer Cheryl! I could teach you to do stained glass. I think you are about an hour from me! Do you crochet??

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  2:00:06 PM  Show Profile
I can crochet but not knit. I would love to learn knitting!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile
I want to learn all the skills to be an outdoorswoman. Fire starting, bow & arrow, how to shoot a gun--I just think it would be neat to learn "frontier" skills. There is a state park that offers a weekend but with all the budget cuts, they probably won't have it this year.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:39:52 PM  Show Profile
I would love to learn how to make dyes and dye my own fabric. I'm a quilter, and to make my own colors seems so neat. I saw someone on here offered classes for this, but they're out in Iowa. Oh well...

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:46:06 PM  Show Profile
Already teaching myself to knit and spin. My goal this summer... to make soap!

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  5:59:43 PM  Show Profile
Okay I have given this more thought...

Cindy, your idea about skills to be an outdoors-woman really appeals to me.
I did learn to shoot a BB gun when I was a girl and then I graduated to shotguns and rifles later.
I gave up shooting though.
Being able to use a bow and arrow always seemed like an amazing skill to have.
I do want to get better at using an axe and chopping wood.
I build boats so I have often thought that I would like to learn to build a birchbark canoe. I have seen it done but have never tried it myself.

You Farmgirls all have awakened my "inner gardener" too. I didn't know she existed. Because of you I know that I will, one day, be a better gardener (or at least not the Godzilla-killer-of-all-plants that I have been in the past). You all (and MaryJane's) have helped me so much in that regard.

Realistically for me, I keep promising myself that I'm going to learn to use the sewing machine that was given to me. I also started on some punch needle embroidery projects a few years ago--but then got busy and forgot how to do that. I guess I should try to do those things.

Or maybe finish that sweater I have been working on...

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Would love to learn to knit or crochet. :)

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I crochet a little. When it comes to a real detailed pattern, I'm not so sharp.;)

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6602 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6602 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile
I want to learn to spin yarn, and I have always wanted a antique spinning wheel.

Hugs,
Debbie
www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:41:33 PM  Show Profile
This is for Prairiehawk and anyone who wants to read along....

I was going to post this in the Farmgirl Funnies, but this is a true story.

You mentioned you wanted to learn to shoot a gun. I've lived in the country most of my life, in an area that has a lot of copperheads - so, knowing how to shoot (or being handy with the business end of a shovel) has been a must.

A few years ago, we had a mean, ugly rooster. I hated that thing. He got after me every time I went to get in the truck. Finally, one day I was watching the silly thing out the window while doing dishes. He was bothering everything and anything that moved and I had had enough. So, I went and got the .22 and went out the door and shot the old coot. Dh was in the shower at the time....he came out the door right after he heard the shot with a towel wrapped around him. He looked at the rooster and looked at me....and said, "Don't you ever do that again unless you at least tell me you're fixin' to shoot something."

Necessity is sometimes a great teacher!

Go to Top of Page

HollyMaker
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Holly
CA
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  8:14:21 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, that story is hilarious! LOL! I bet you freaked him out, lol.

I would LOVE to learn how to sew but I have no one to teach me and I'm one of those that needs to 'see' how it's done for some things. Ah well.

Farmgirl Sister #2699
http://www.chartreuseproducts.com/hlennon.html Natural and organic cleaning products, bath and body, natural mineral makeup, righteous reusables and more! Be sure to put my name (on homepage of website) in the 'How did you hear about us' section.
Go to Top of Page

HDA
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heidi
Hood River OR
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:26:56 PM  Show Profile
I could list a million things I want to learn how to do! But one major thing that comes to mind is... I want to learn some carpentry skills. How to build stuff. I want to be able to do it myself. I always feel bad when I have projects that I want to do, but I have to rely on my husband to build things for me. I can do things with direction, but I can't just start from scratch & build a structure of any type & I wish I could.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  05:08:04 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl, funny story!! You have rattlesnakes too. I used to live at Bromide and we killed 14 rattlesnakes right behind our house. One, that I almost stepped on, was 7 ft long!! I really did almost step on it, but it was in Feb. and the snake was sluggish. It coiled up and raised it's head and opened its mouth, but I think an angel must have picked me up and moved me sideways!! I ran, screaming, to the house. I've never figured out how I wound up where I did. We shot it. And I am ashamed to admit that of those snakes, we ate 4 of the biggest ones. Yep. Put them in the freezer and I served fried rattlesnake to my visiting parents. I sat there at the table looking at that plate of meat and decided we were crazy. So did my dad, who insisted that the Lord forbid him in scripture from eating anything that crawled on the ground! I told him that it tasted like chicken. He replied that it didn't have wings and so it wasn't chicken!! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  12:26:01 PM  Show Profile
i think next on my list is spinning, dyeing with natural plants and weaving baskets. Debbie, one thing I've learned about the antique spinning wheels -- most are not feasible for spinning, as you are no longer able to buy the accessories (bobbins, lazy kates, etc.) that go with them. I learned the hard way. I have an old spinning wheel, but using is just wouldn't work! I'm sorry I'm the deliverer of bad news, but just in case, I thought I'd save you some heartache down the road.

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  12:43:24 PM  Show Profile
I really want to learn how to do blacksmithing....I think it would be great to learn something that is physical & a part of our history I already sew, can, garden, do stained glass, am a silversmith, have done most of the things you all are learning...but I also want to learn to tat & make lace...those I think would be great also...I have the stuff just no time right now to do it...but if I could find someone to teach me blacksmithing you bet I would find & make the time to do that....boy wouldn't the neighbors love me if I took that up....lol...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  3:10:53 PM  Show Profile
Quilting easily. I can never seem to cut fabric straight enough, sew straight enough or do anything well enough with sewing, so I always get very frustrated.

Knitting is also a hobby I would like, but don't seem to have the patience to get past the basics. However, I've only tried to learn from books, so I wonder if it would go better if I had a teacher or mentor.

SarahJ

Farmgirl Sister #116

http://bayoumama.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  4:34:39 PM  Show Profile
i would love to learn to tat.....among a gazillion other things!
great topic!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

peafarm
True Blue Farmgirl

182 Posts

Penny
South Dakota
182 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Spin

and then I'll want to shear and card the wool for spinning. Love working with raw materials

Penny
www.444Farm.com
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:42:03 PM  Show Profile
I want to learn to process wool from sheep to sweater! Got the knitting part down, but am really fascinated with the rest. I'd even like to participate in a shearing. It is awesome to take to sticks and a ball of yarn and make clothing. I can't imagine how cool it would be to be able to start with the sheep! I'd also like to be proficient with a bow, an axe, and I want to understand the use of all the tractor implements and how to use them to maintain the fields. I'd also like to learn jewelry making specifically bezeling. I'd also like to do some wood working. If I thought more about it I'm sure the list would be longer!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wanta Learn Somethin' New? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page