Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  06:23:14 AM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I know a lot of people who have tried rattlesnake....I'm not one of them, though I have eaten frog legs (growing up). We do have an occasional rattlesnake here, but copperheads are by far, more frequent visitors. I do not like snakes, but of course the boys are thrilled anytime there is a snake on the place.

Michele, we'll all just come spend a couple of weeks with you and learn how to do stuff. LOL I have a bil who does little blacksmith work.

Yeah, Connie, my list could be pretty long, too.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  07:26:54 AM  Show Profile
I want to learn to braid rugs
Go to Top of Page

TeresaJ25
True Blue Farmgirl

975 Posts

Teresa
Medford NY
USA
975 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  09:56:23 AM  Show Profile
Don't laugh, but I can't bake bread worth a darn. I have tried many times, even MaryJanes's recipe.. Just can't get it right!! My family will try to be delicate when giving me their opinions of "So?? How is it??" But even I know that it is hopeless! I bought a bread machine Monday night! Is that cheating?

~Teresa
Farmgirl Sister #1348

*Anyone can criticize and complain and predict doom and gloom.
Be the person who fills the room with sunshine!
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  3:30:26 PM  Show Profile
quote:
I bought a bread machine Monday night! Is that cheating?

Not if it works for you, Teresa! Enjoy!

Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  3:56:52 PM  Show Profile
I would love to learn to spin yarn too. My great-grandmother did and I think her spinning wheel is somewhere in the family but I don't know. Spinning and dyeing yarn would be so cool!

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
I love to spin! A lady in outside of Rapid City, South Dakota, taught me to spin a few years ago, when spinning wheels were still affordable! haha! I learned how to shoot a pistol, rifle, shotgun, and bow & arrow when I was a kid. My mom taught me how to crochet when I was a kid, but I have been teaching myself how to knit and sew on my own. Tatting and bobbin lace are a couple of things I would like to learn. I learned to make soap on my own a couple of years ago. I would also like to learn how to make baskets. I've made a couple of simple ones from a class I took, but I'm not very good at it.

Funny thing about being left-handed is that I do most everything right-handed! Go figure..My son is also left-handed, but is *truly* a lefty so he's always been somewhat awkward with his hands. He did teach himself to play the guitar, but he plays it upside down like Jimmy Hendrix did! He plays pretty well and it just flabbergasts me how he does it upside down, lol!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  05:11:12 AM  Show Profile
I want to learn how to crochet. I know how to knit but never learned how to crochet. I think tatting would be fun to learn how to do also.
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  06:01:48 AM  Show Profile
can I add that I would love to learn to ride, horses that is, I've ridden a few times and did okay but would love to be able to do more
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  07:01:50 AM  Show Profile
I want to learn how to crochet better, I can never get the edges straight. I also want to do tatting more accurately that what I can do now. I do want to learn how to do weaving and bobbin lace.

Farmgirl Sister #2619
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  1:40:30 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, you come on down anytime...I would love to be able to teach someone something....And teresa you are not alone..I can't make bread...the birds won't even eat it...I tend to knead it like a piece of clay so by the time I am done & its baked its so hard the birds can't break it with their beaks!...& I too got a bread machine that actually came in the mail today! I can do the no-knead artisan breads but lordy if its normal bread it ain't happening in this house without the help of a machine. I keep reading all your messages & I guess I was just really lucky thur out my life...my ex mother in law taught me had to spin wood both ways, by hand & with a spinning wheel plus we raised sheep so she got her wool from my family. I grew up in an area where woman made rugs by hand so learned that, learned to sew in school back in 8th grade...thats when you had to take home ec, not like it is now a days. I learned to knit, ect but get too bored with doing the same thing over & over again....I so do love a lot of the old arts that are now getting harder to find anyone that does them...I guess that's why I learn them so that hopefully I can pass them on to someone plus they are enjoyable to do & relaxing....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

caitlinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

86 Posts

Kim
St.A Idaho
USA
86 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  8:38:18 PM  Show Profile
I would love to learn to make soap using fresh herbs and milk from my own little farm. Ahhhh so wonderful....

www.naturallysimple.blogspot.com
"Live slowly and simply, so that you have the time and space to love deeply and well. Hold your children close, as often as possible. Look deeply into their eyes, speak words of life, love and acceptance into and over them."
Go to Top of Page

windswept
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dawn
youngsville new york
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  4:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Making a stainglass window would be the icing on a cake....I would love to be able to do that!! It seems that so few people have time for "old" crafts anymore.

lovin the country
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  5:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Kim, I would love to learn to make soap too. If I could learn, then maybe I could talk hubby into some milk goats!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to learn how to really draw what I see in my mind. I would also like to learn how to do Tunisian crochet. I have the hook...I just need to be disciplined.

Buffypuff/ Claudia ~ Farmgirl & Sister #870 ~
"It compliments God to ask great things of Him." ~ St. Theresa of Avila

Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  07:38:44 AM  Show Profile
I have wanted to learn tatting for awile now. Hope to give it a try this summer. It's something small to take along with you when going to all the grandkids sport events. Also I want to braid rugs. I just vision a large one to fit the center of my living room. But think maybe I will start with a small throw rug. haha And I'd like to crochet the hats like Diane(fiddlehead) does, I just think they are the cutest!! Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  09:35:20 AM  Show Profile
Learn knitting and tatting, soap making.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  10:34:30 AM  Show Profile
I now have everything I need for making my first batch of soap. Hopefully, sometime this coming week!!! WaHoooo!!! (dh is so excited) LOL

Go to Top of Page

Crystal Koelzer
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Crystal
Cosby MO
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  10:24:56 PM  Show Profile
In the last house we rented my landlord knitted socks. That is what I want to learn! The socks were so soft and colorful hang on the line to dry. That would be fabulous.
Go to Top of Page

HollyHobby
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Holly
Astoria NY
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  07:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Eventually my husband and i are going to try our hands at making rustic furniture. Can't wait 'til our shop is finished. I have so many ideas and am dyin' to start!
Go to Top of Page

Fannie
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

North Huntingdon PA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  2:53:52 PM  Show Profile
I would love to learn how to tat, but it seems like it has become a lost art. I can't find any one around here to teach me.

Fannie
Farm Girl #2746
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:15:59 PM  Show Profile
I would love to teach any and all who would like to learn spinning, plant dyeing, any of the fiber arts skills. I love quilting and started my first business in sewing so we can do that too.... Taught gardening for years in my county so I got that covered for ya...

I would like to pump up my shooting skills and also it has been ages since I did the bow and arrow thing but loved it. Went hunting when I was young and lived in the mountains every weekend so would love to bump up those skills of survival and tracking.

I have been wanting to learn a new language - took German, French and Spanish but thinking I would love to try another but there is no one to talk to out here to practice with...

I would love to get better at canning - had some bad results long ago and since then can not bring myself to risk that again so I freeze, dehydrate and do tons of baking and such but the fear of getting really sick from something I canned is overwhelming...

That's all for me I guess.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

herb19355
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Debi
Danielsville, GA
USA
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  07:19:56 AM  Show Profile  Send herb19355 a Yahoo! Message
I just saw an interesting article on how to make "Faux stained glass using acrylic paints and white glue" It looked like fun and I am going to try to make picture frames for my granddaughter. I am sure if you goggle it, you will be able to find the info. If not, send me an email and I will look for it too.

Debi
herb19355

GA Farmgirl #2515
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  08:38:31 AM  Show Profile
Crystal, I be those socks were a pretty and colorful sight!

Holly, wow, you and your hubs are going to be furniture makers! There is a huge market for rustic pieces.

Fannie, maybe you could find videos on You Tube on tatting. Just a thought.

Grace, you should be making videos!!! You could be like the West Ladies and start a whole new business.

Thanks, Debi, I will try to find the information on the faux stained glass.

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13628 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13628 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  12:13:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Learned today that a friend and former coworker will teach me to knit at no charge. She owns a cute little yarn shop in a nearby town and can make some good coffee (limited selection, but good) drinks. I stopped in there this morning for a wonderful caramel coffee and visit with her, sitting in a comfy chair. She has a WONDERFUL yarn selection and says she teaches for free . . . that's on my list for this winter. Not possible now with spring/summer coming with all the outdoor work . . . but coffee and kntting with Karen this winter?
YES!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Wanta Learn Somethin' New? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page