Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 cast iron, non-stick or stainless
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cast iron, non-stick or stainless Next Topic  

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  03:55:32 AM  Show Profile
Which does everyone prefer to use for cooking and baking?

I'm slowly converting everything over to stainless and glass.

We also use my husband's grandmother's cast iron skilet for cooking greens or baking cornbread

I do have a nice Pampered Chef skillet that can double as a wok, but it's non stick with that coating and I'm saving for a nice big stainless frypan type thing that I'd feel safer using.

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  04:45:40 AM  Show Profile
We do almost all our cooking/baking in cast iron, stainless steel or glass. We go have a couple pampered chef stones, as well. I my bread pans...I'm not sure what they are made of, but they were my grandmas. :) I don't trust the non-stick stuff, besides we were told with birds in the house we can't use it because when the non-stick stuff heats up, it emits something that kills the birds. Hmmm...pretty sure I don't want to be breathing that in either!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

coffeemom
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Melody
Carlinville IL
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  09:08:40 AM  Show Profile
I have a set of Le Crueset cookware I bought 28 years ago when I didn't know what I was doing......Am I glad I did!! They are pricey, but worth it. I couldn't even cook when I bought them! ha But I had high goals, and now, I must say, I am a darned good cook. I also use regular old fashioned cast iron, which is the origional non-stick cookware(if it is seasoned right, and maintained). The only thing I don't cook in my cast iron is eggs. I have a small non-stick for that.
Happy cooking, sisters!!!
Melody FG #833
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
I hate non-stick anything. I just don't trust the chemicals not to leech into whatever I'm baking at high temps. I use cast-iron for everything possible, and stainless steel for what's not possible in cast iron (like acidic things.) I have a knock-off Le Crueset pan from Sam's - it's a Maker's Mark dutch oven sorta thing - about 6 quarts (got it for 35.00) I use for chili and soups. It's cast iron covered with porcelain. Love how it cooks. I did invest in one All-Clad Stainless Steel sauce pan - the 1 1/2 qt. It was a chunk of change, but honestly, I can't tell that it cooks any better than my 79.00 set from Penneys I got when I got married. It is heavy enough to bean someone with if you can't get to your cast iron fast enough! For the record, the handle isn't comfortable to pick up either - I have the beginnings of arthritis in my hands and carpel tunnel in both wrists. The handle is difficult to grip for me - it's rounded on the bottom and hollow on top - hurts your hands when it's full of something. It's all the rage on the cooking shows, but to me, it's not worth the money.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  12:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Stainless and cast iron here too! I have one of the porcelain coated cast iron dutch ovens too, love it! I do think my bread pans have some kind of nonstick on them but I can't seem to find anything else for loaves of bread. Does anyone bake their bread in glass and if so how does it brown?

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:50:47 PM  Show Profile
I switched to all stainless a couple of years ago. Cast iron ----too heavy for me to lug around the kitchen. However, nothing can scramble eggs like a non-stick. Or do a grilled cheese. Maybe it is just me.....

In answer to the post above.....my bread browns just great in a glass loaf pan. Try it, it will work.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Mar 28 2011 1:51:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  1:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Scrambled eggs are a little harder in a cast iron but can be done hot skillet is the key. Omellets are easier though! lol And grilled cheese, I've never had a problem making a grilled cheese in a cast iron. Again start with a hot skillet.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I need to bake some bread this week and I will try the Pyrex bread pan! Thanks girls!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile
I use mostly stainless and cast iron for cooking and glass for some oven stuff. What do you use for 8" or 9" cake pans? Mine are metal but not stainless I don't think. Hummm, I wonder what they are? They don't rust like my grandmas did so I don't think they are tin. UGH I'll bet they are aluminum. Are there other options?
A couple of months ago I got rid of all plastic storage containers in my kitchen. Switched to glass. I'm really happy with the change.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Sunflower64
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Janie
Canton Ohio
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  10:32:34 AM  Show Profile
I have been converting over the all cast iron, stainless steel or glass, with the exception of stoneware, for years now. I have all my cast iron seasoned perfectly as long as my fiance doesn't cook in them : ) If you use bacon grease initially, or maybe lard?...you can get a perfect seasoning in little time in cast iron. I do my scrambled eggs in it just fine, wipe it out with a paper towel when I'm done no washing required. Bread I use stoneware. I'm searching for fireking round glass pans to do my layer cakes in...they are pretty rare now, just like the pie pans, but round and higher. Lost an auction a few weeks ago on one for almost $40. If anyone comes across one (or two) please let me know!

"The country way of life is the closest thing to heaven"
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  12:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Janie, I'll be on the lookout for both of us!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  1:44:09 PM  Show Profile
I cook with all cast iron and stainless.. :)

~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

sissarge
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Linda
Montgomery Texas
USA
502 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:33:55 PM  Show Profile
I also just ditched my last two teflon pans. I have plenty of cast iron, and been using for years, but after learning that in 2015 it will be against the law to sell teflon cookware and trying to do the healthier thing I don't need the teflon. I also have stainless. My round cake pans are stainless. Use glass 9X13 for most cakes. I love pampered chef stone for my loaves of bread. My cast iron is getting heavier as I am getting older, but I am hanging in there trying to go with it as long as I can. I do have some smaller size skillets in cast iron, but sometimes I just have to use a larger one.
Farmgirl#946 Linda
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:36:01 PM  Show Profile
I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE with my cast iron. I have not found cast iron sauce pans...YET. I quit using the the non-stick about 10 years agon when I noticed the non-stick stuff was coming off in my food. I didn't think that was a great idea to have all that teflon or whatever it is in my delicious food. It took me a while to figure out the tricks of cast iron but now I love them and will never use anything else!

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  7:50:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a set of cast iron pans that I got years ago. It has a dutch oven, 2 sauce pans and a skillet, all with wooden handles that come off so they can be used in the oven. They were at the back of my cupboard for years but I have tried using them more now. My skillet isn't quite ready for cooking eggs yet but hopefully will be soon. I like glass for baking bread.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  08:49:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Cast iorn and Pampered Chef Stoneware. Nothing better, they can just get heavy.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

TsJewel
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Julianna
Shirley IN
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  11:44:33 AM  Show Profile
I like the enameled cast iron, its non sick and very easy to clean, do have stainless and PC stoneware

Life's Short Eat Dessert First
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nanniekim

I have a set of cast iron pans that I got years ago. It has a dutch oven, 2 sauce pans and a skillet, all with wooden handles that come off so they can be used in the oven. They were at the back of my cupboard for years but I have tried using them more now. My skillet isn't quite ready for cooking eggs yet but hopefully will be soon. I like glass for baking bread.

Kim

Kim,

I think I had the same set years ago! LOL!! Wish I still had them! I remember trying to make a lemon meringue pie in the saucepan (I was VERY young) and everything worked perfectly until I added the lemon juice! Turned a lovely shade of gray!! LOL!!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  3:40:07 PM  Show Profile
We use stainless and cast iron. No non-stick, as we have already "eaten" our share of that. :(

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  12:39:48 PM  Show Profile
Cast iron is my choice. I also have some old enamel pots for noodles, etc. They can chip, though. Once I got rid of my electric stove and replaced it with a gas stove, I also got rid of my modern pots & pans. I use vintage cast iron, vintage cookware, everything from the antique & junk stores. So much fun to cook with history. I live in a cabin style house, so many of my pans & utensils are hanging up on the kitchen walls.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  12:55:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
So much fun to cook with history. I live in a cabin style house, so many of my pans & utensils are hanging up on the kitchen walls.

NICE! Not only is that history a part of you, you are a part of that history.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  6:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh... this is a hot topic in my kitchen....lol. I hate non stick and got a huge set of Paula Deen cookware given to my last year for my birthday... ha ha the joke is on me huh? My oldest DS is at my place and cooking ALOT!! He has and is the main person using this set... and guess what... it is already nonstick heck here... it is coming off in scrapes and such... i detest it. I try to use cast iron or enamel over cast iron or glass as much as I possibly can. Cant wait for this very 'pretty' set of cookware is wore out!!
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  11:14:11 AM  Show Profile
I love my cast iron if i use anything it is cast iron. I also have alot of Pampered Chef stoneware and i just love it. I also sell Pampered Chef.

Here comes the warmer weather!!! May God Bless all of our gardens!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2011 :  12:27:47 PM  Show Profile
Gail, your kitchen sounds wonderful! And I love your area. We like to vacation at Bull Shoals. What a beautiful area. Your kitchen sounds like a 'homey' place!!

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

MamaCrunch
True Blue Farmgirl

161 Posts

Nasvhille TN
USA
161 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2011 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile
I have a huge cast iron addiction so I do my regular cooking in CI. I do own a wok that is seasoned just like CI and is now non-stick from use. For baking I use my pampered chef stoneware.

I'm saving up for a stainless stock pot that I can use for making pasta and stock. I'd also like a smaller stainless pot to use when making jam.

Farmgirl #2161
Just tryin' to homestead in the middle of a suburban neighborhood!
Blog~ http://thelittleboygreen.com <<I've been slackin' on the updates!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cast iron, non-stick or stainless Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page