Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise
 Just ordered ChillOver powder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Just ordered ChillOver powder Next Topic  

Antoinettes Vintage
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

antoinette
santa cruz california
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:24:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Antoinettes Vintage's MSN Messenger address  Send Antoinettes Vintage a Yahoo! Message
I just odered some ChillOver powder and can't wait for it to come in the mail. Does anyone have any suggestions on a really good first recipe?

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2006 :  10:38:01 AM  Show Profile
My first suggestion for that is, of course, something with chocolate! Do you have the Farm Kitchen magazine? There are some recipes in there that sound really tasty - mine is at my mom's right now (until tomorrow), or I'd name some off for you...

Enjoy!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2006 :  2:19:04 PM  Show Profile
ChillOver Powder was the first thing I ordered from Mary Jane about a year ago and I have to say I was disappointed. I tried the juice recipes from the book and they never jelled. I did a tomato aspic sort of thing with organic tomato juice and it went so hard it was nearly inedible.

What's the trick to getting the right results? Any hints, fellow farmgirls? I have plenty of the powder left over to experiment with.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  11:06:25 PM  Show Profile
I know that for me, I had to use a timer to make sure that I boiled it for *exactly* the right amount of time - do I remember three minutes correctly? I know that the timing of things is important.

Also, check out this thread: [http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5177] for some more information that I really think will be helpful.

I hope that helps solve the jelling issue - I have to say that I really like tomoato aspic; it reminds me of my great-aunt Edith (isn't that a wonderful name for a great aunt?!?). She was so elegant - in my mind she was probably the most sophisticated person on earth - she and my great-uncle Homer - and she served aspic on Christmas. It has such fun memories for me!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  10:22:01 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, thank you for the link. I'll check it out. And yes, Edith is just about the best name for a great aunt that I can think of!
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  12:02:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rosemary,
We're so sorry you had trouble with the ChillOver recipes! In our new magazine (should be out near the end of September), we've put MaryJane's previous forum post about getting firm-set ChillOvers out of the mold - at the end of that post, you'll see her reminder about following the recipes. (I'll post that text below.) These ChillOver recipes are something we've been experimenting with for nearly two years here at the farm. We've made many, many ChillOvers! Yum. The two aspic-type recipes in the book (Goodness Gracious in the chicken mold on p. 117 and You Handsome You in the fish mold on p. 116) worked perfectly for us and got rave reviews in their taste-tests. We don't ever recommend that you merely substitute the ChillOver Powder for gelatin in recipes intended for gelatin, though. ChillOver Powder is a very different "animal" than gelatin (no animal at all, actually!) - that's why we provided you with lots of recipes that we tested over and over. In our last magazine, Farm Kitchen, you'll find 8 ChillOver mousse-type recipes that are really delicious and 3 of the winning recipes from our ChillOver contest.

In this new magazine, MaryJane made a juice-only Firm-set ChillOver that used a 14-cup mold. For that recipe, she had to increase the original 2-cup recipe seven-fold. In doing so, she found the ChillOver was just too gelled, so she cut the ChillOver Powder back to 1 3/4 teaspoons for every 2 cups liquid, which worked great. We'd suggest that you try that for the firm-set recipe.

Thanks everyone, and good luck with your ChillOvers!
Carol

MaryJane's unmolding tip and recipe reminder:
I have this new thing I do with firm-set ChillOvers. But I especially LOVE using old-fashioned gelatin molds. The method we used in the book to “unmold” one was to wrap a hot dishtowel (moistened, of course) around it for a few minutes or set the mold in a pan of hot water.

Since then, I’ve found a foolproof method. I get my tap water running as hot as my hands can stand. I moisten the plate I’m going to display it on (moistening the plate allows you to move the dessert afterwards to center it). I tip the mold upside down onto the plate and then hold it in place with both hands and let the hot tap water run onto the mold (cascading onto the plate and into your washbasin for future use!). I do that for about three minutes, until I hear or sense the ChillOver dropping out onto the plate. (If there is a troublesome design detail in the mold, like the head of a chicken, that is likely to grip the ChillOver, I run the water a bit more on that spot, but in general, I just move the mold around under the hot water). Then I set the plate on the table, but before I lift the metal mold off, I take a dry dishtowel and mop up (dab) the water that surrounds the mold (pooled up on the plate around it). Voila! I lift the mold off and none of the ChillOver is ever stuck to the mold!

One thing I do want to point out (now that my ChillOver Powder is in the marketplace and we’re getting feedback) is to FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY for cooking, etc. When we say three minutes, we mean three minutes, not five or even three and a half. When we say sprinkle the powder into the liquid while whisking, we don’t mean dump it in and then whisk—you’ll get a lump. Once you master our firm-set, you’ll be making exquisite desserts in two shakes of a lamb’s tail!

And speaking of shakes, try MaryJane's salt-shaker tip from our upcoming magazine:
Take an old salt shaker and dedicate it permanently to ChillOver Powder. Once you know how much ChillOver Powder you need for a particular recipe, fill the shaker with that amount, and sprinkle it into the bubbling liquid while you whisk. That way, you’ll never get lumps!
Go to Top of Page
  **MaryJanesFarm Products & Merchandise: Previous Topic Just ordered ChillOver powder Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page