Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking with lard Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  11:26:57 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are reading Nourishing Traditions, which recommends baking with lard rather than vegetable shortening for interesting reasons that are part of the writers' rather shocking food philosophy. (It's complicated, so I won't go into it; look for the book and see what you think about it.)

Anyway ladies, I'm using this as an excuse to give lard a try for the crusts of the apple pies I plan to bake this weekend. Any tricks of the bygone baking trade from seasoned lard users out there in Farmgirl Land?

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  07:18:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Here in my part of the country we have Morrell Snow Cap Lard. There is a recipe on the box for lard pastry. I have made it and it turned out good. It does taste different than with vegetable shortening. You make it just the same. I also don't buy vegetable shortening anymore and it is hard to find pie crust recipes without it! I have used all butter and MaryJane's cream cheese/butter pie crust recipe. Good luck!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  08:33:03 AM  Show Profile
I've used lard (or rendered poultry fat) for piecrusts my entire life....Grandma taught me and she had the best crusts in the world!!! Go for it!
Cut 2/3 cup lard into 2 cups flour and 1 tsp salt. Add 5-7 TBL of ice cold water and press into dough with a fork...don't knead it. Divide into 2 balls, wrap and place in fridge for a little while until they're cold.

"Never regret something that once made you smile." -Unknown
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:22:46 PM  Show Profile
It does make the best flaky crusts. I get all the fat when I have pigs butchered and render it myself. It last quite awhile. I have to refridgerate after it's been opened. Also makes the best buttermilk biscuits! I have the book and love it. I agree with all she says. I used to use canola oli. I thought that was the best oil to use til I read the book. I will never use it again. There are so many lies out there about the things they try to pass as food. I raise all our meat and grow all our produce that I can. What I don;t grow, I get at the farmer's market or do without most of the time. I am trying to only buy American food and as close to Ga. as possible. I am glad we are so close to Fla.

You can find good organic lard at place like Whole Foods or Earthfare. If I had to buy it I would get organic.

kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  6:08:45 PM  Show Profile
What great feedback ;-) -- thank you all so much. One more question: do you "paint" the top crust with milk (or egg white) as I do on butter crusts?
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  11:33:29 PM  Show Profile
You can baste the pastry the same if you choose. Try not to handle the dough too much for a flakier crust. Flour varies with the seasons (the variety of wheat) so if it seems dry add a drop of water at a time until it just sticks together. If it is to wet, add just a tablespoon of flour until it is right. Lard is definitely the best for the very best flakey crust. I've been using lard for so long my upper arms

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  06:13:14 AM  Show Profile
I think lard makes the lightest, flakiest biscuits and pastries ever! Ones made with shortening and what not are like hockey pucks, tough and flat! ICK!

A funny story, we bought a whirly pop (it makes popcorn on top of the stove, rather then microwave or air popper) it came with "popcorn oil" to make the popcorn. My husband kept buying that kind of oil to make the popcorn but it was really gumming up the whirly pop and I couldn't get all that gum off it! I was thinking if it is gummy on this machine I wonder if it's gummy in our artieries! Any way, I decided we would start using lard. My husband was like yuck! (and even people on this forum when I told them of my idea was like gross!) Any way, I was tired of the gum and didn't see why not give it a shot at least. So any way, my husband said I could make my popcorn with it but he was going to continue to use the popcorn oil for his popcorn. I said that was ok I guess. Any way, the first time I used the lard to make the popcorn it smelled so good my husband couldn't resist and had to try it. From first bite he said he would never go back to using oil again! He loved it. Not only did it taste better, but it gives the popcorn a undescribable wonderful texture that you never can get from microwave, air popper, or oil when using the whirly pop. it's this really just yummy flavor and the texture is just unique and awesome! It's been a couple of years now and we have had other peoples popcorn with the oil and can barely choke it down! lol It's just nasty in comparison to ours with the lard! lol

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  08:39:26 AM  Show Profile
Heather
I make my popcorn with organic coconut oil (which actually has been shown to increase metabolism)
It tastes great, & I feel good about the oil being used.
Try it sometime!
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:51:33 AM  Show Profile
I am going to try the lard with my popcorn also going to try the coconut oil. They both sound good. Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  10:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Coconut oil is great, I agree. We have jars of organic on the shelf because I always forget if I have some, only to find that it's been stacking up! Obviously, I should use it more and not just THINK about using it ;-)
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  12:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Mom had the butcher save about 8 lbs of hog fat for us. I need to get busy rendering it so she'll make biscuits and pies. Right now, she's been on a cookie and bread kick. At 82, she's having the time of her life spoiling us "girls" - ages 57. 60, and 65.

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  12:48:59 PM  Show Profile
That is superb Shari
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  1:47:17 PM  Show Profile
Hope you like it! Let me know when you try it! I must admit it took me a little while to get brave enough to try it. But, once I did that was it. It isn't a lot of lard needed either. Ours is a 6 quart whirly pop, I only use about a teaspoon of lard to make my popcorn. My husband on other hand likes to use a good size tablespoon full! lol haha I must admit his taste a bit better sometimes! lol But, I try to cut back on calories! lol And really you don't need more then a teaspoon or so to make the popcorn work.

Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  5:40:59 PM  Show Profile
What great tips. Lard and coconut oil. Can't wait to try these. Thank you so much.

Farmgirl #2547

"When you get to the end of your rope, you tie a knot and hang on."
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  6:20:32 PM  Show Profile
Shari, how do you render the hog fat? Just heat it on the stove until it melts, then strain it into a heatproof container?
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  7:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips on coconut oil!! I have Hoshimoto's Disease and my metabolism needs some vim, vigor and vitality!! I had planned on using it, but now I KNOW I will!

I'm curious, if you have high cholesterol, is lard the villain that doctors make it out to be?

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  7:58:11 PM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Rosemary, you got it. Cut it cubes or grind if necessary. Heat very slowly, and then strain into a jar that can be tightly closed. I prefer to keep ours refrigerated. Bacon grease, we always kept beside the stove. If you have any little "cracklings" left, they're delicious!

Shari Thomas, back after a 2 year break for heart issues. Ready to get on with life now.Four Country Gals
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  7:58:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a dr, but I don't think so Mary. I think people with high cholesterol even make it themselves (your body makes it!) or maybe eats too much transfats. Lard is not a transfat! I think moderation is key though, and lots of good exercise.

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Apr 04 2011 10:43:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  5:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Pay attention to the quality of lard you buy or render some yourself. The only lard I could buy locally wasn't great and it gave a very lardy taste to the crust. I am curious about how coconut oil would taste and work in a pie crust and other baking.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  8:30:34 PM  Show Profile
If coconut oil works in pie crust, imagine it for the crust of a coconut cream pie :-)
Go to Top of Page

pmburk
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pamela
Fort Worth TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  08:42:45 AM  Show Profile  Send pmburk a Yahoo! Message
I'm so interested in trying this. I've seen lard for sale in the supermarkets, but never purchased it. I'm going to try it now!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  11:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Let us know how it works for you. I still haven't gotten around to baking those pies I threatened to bake when I first started this thread. Time is the slipperiest darn thing!
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  1:48:53 PM  Show Profile
Got my pies done! I used an old Joy of Cooking pie crust recipe that called for lard as well as butter. The result was much, much better than with using butter alone, or (gag!) Crisco. I'm sold :-)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2011 :  10:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Crisco is disgusting, they changed it in the mid 80's and I've hated it every since, before the change it was good, not it taste like chemicals!

Glad it turned out well for you!

Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  06:41:04 AM  Show Profile
Some of the lard in stores has hydrogenated oil so that it will keep longer on the shelf. So be sure to check the label.

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2011 :  3:39:25 PM  Show Profile
Kristin what did they say was bad about canola oil? I buy smart balance vegetable oil and it has olive,soy, and canola oil mixed. Maybe I should be using something else. What do you all use for liquid oil when a recipe call for it or frying?

For pies I use butter and it turns out great. Never tried the lard before. Maybe I will try using them half and half next time.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Apr 29 2011 3:40:31 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Baking with lard Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page