debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  8:22:09 PM  Show Profile
I am from Suwanne Georgia and new to the Farmgirl Connection and just wanted to Hi to all the farmgirls out there. I am originally from Ohio Amish Country and farming and gardening is in the family. I have a large garden that I grow herbs, flowers, and some vegetables. (Love to cook with fresh herbs) I also have a glass bottle garden. That has been the easiest to grow for the deer leave those alone. There is a small cottage barn in the garden that I use for planting and to display all the memorabila that was in boxes in a closet. I have old family pictures hanging up and even the 1960 Barbie doll that I played with as a kid. Old family aprons hang in there and some antique spice cans. It is like a step back in time out there. I call this My Hen House...NO ROOSTERS ALLOWED
Just wanted to share

Edited by - debra e on Mar 25 2011 8:25:49 PM

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  04:08:46 AM  Show Profile
Welcome and have fun

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  11:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for this verse. I like Phil 4:4
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  1:43:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debra. I am in Ga. too. But up north near Chattanooga. Your garden sounds so pretty. I always wanted to make mine whimsical. It's so wet here right now it might be June when I can get to planting anything. Welcome!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  2:39:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris and farmgirls
Wanted to share a picture of The Hen House/Garden Shed. There is a porch with 2 rockers that I can sit and watch and listen to the garden growing.
It has been raining here all day...But I hate to complain about the rain for you never know when we would be in a drought situation again. At least the rain is clearing some of the pollen away. It is a good day to "Hole up" and read a good book.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  2:49:40 PM  Show Profile
Debra, I love it. I could sit out there all day. Not today though. It's raining here too. And it's SO cold. What is going on with this weather. we've already had some 80 degree days. Then it gets cold again. So what do you use that cute little building for? That would make a great little tea house, all shabby chik'd up and all. How fun would that be?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  3:16:17 PM  Show Profile
I use this building for holding my garden supplies and planting little seedlings. I have running water and electric out in the "Hen House". The building is like a miniture cottage house. When we ran the electric wiring we also ran phone and cable tv. (cable hubby's idea) I have most of our family's memerobilia hanging on the walls. You know the "stuff" that is kept away in your closet that you get out now and then to look at. Mine is displayed all the time. It is another world in this little house. At Christmas time I decorate it into a Santa's workshop and children come to visit. Of Course Santa is not there for he is at Publix buying dinner but he leaves them a small gift. The best part of that is we have deer behind the house. They come in heards. The most we have at one time is 25. My husband feeds the deer and when the children are here to see Santa workshop they get to see the reindeer. It is so much fun and has added to the spirit of Christmas for us. And at the end of the day we can trek back to this little sancutary and watch the day close out. It's beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  3:23:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello Debra, It is amazing how much I am finding in common with folks already. I have a tiny cabin similar to yours! It has bunks built into the back wall and enough room for 3 chairs and a small table. I can't wait for it to warm up enough to get it cleaned up for the season. The bottom bunk makes a great sofa with tons of pillows.
Kris- I move a coffee maker and elec kettle out there each spring. It is so much fun to take folks out there for a cupa. Hard choice, the little cabin or the porch swing. How about one now and the other later!

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  3:33:38 PM  Show Profile
We have a small fridge and a 4 cupper coffe maker that we take out to the "Hen House" for the summer. We ruff it easy out there.
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  9:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to Farmgirl . . . from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  1:11:30 PM  Show Profile
Hey ceejay, Do you have any pictures of the Rocky Mts? I would love to see them. What is the weather out there? It has been a cloudy day in Ga. Cool and damp, but warm inside. Good day for a cuddle up.
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  03:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debra & Welcome from Pa. :)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  06:32:56 AM  Show Profile
Hello to Pa. From Ga. I am originally from Ohio and have friends that live in Allentown Pa and Harrisburg. How is your weather today? It has stormed here during the ngiht. My dog has kept us up most of the night. (he is afraid of the lightining) Have a great day. Debra e

Edited by - debra e on Mar 28 2011 06:37:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  6:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome Debra.We've chatted in the"Over 50" thread. WOW...you have such a whimsical shed there. Good for you displaying all the things most uf us keep under the bed or in closets. That's a great idea. What's a glass bottle garden ...if I may ask w/o sounding too silly? We are here in NE Ohio and we LOVE Amish country. Today we just went to Hartville to the flea market to browse around. They actually have started to have things outside even though that air was really bitter and made us glad to come back inside again....quickly too....no dilly-dallying around out there. It was 36/sunny today.....but mom o man, bitter wind! I'm still chillin this evening! hahaha Glad you joined us Deb.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:16:20 PM  Show Profile
Hey Judy. I am from the Dover/Sugarcreek area of Ohio. Tuscarawas County. Right down 77. My husband is from Canton near the Caton Town center. (West Manor) (He went to Perry high school) I live in Ga now. (for the last 28 years) But Ohio is still home. (we still have family there) I know Hartville and their fleas markets. I have aunts that live in Brewster and when we come home to Ohio we all go to The Amish Door restaurant. Do you know where that is?
A bottle garden is bottles that I have turned upside down and planted in the ground to line a path. I also have a bottle tree. It is rods of iron that is welded to look like branches and you set bottles on it. It is a tradition here in the south. I am not sure of what tradition but maybe I need to look that up. ANYWAY... on the path that I have the bottles there is ground cover that grows around the bottles in the spring/summer. It is so pretty! The bottles are like an edging and the sunshines on the glass.
Wow! How cool that I can connect with someone from Stark county. I remember a store that I used to go to that was out in Louisville of of 62. It was called Clarkins. (years ago) My mom and Dad bought their furniture there. Do you remember that store? You have a good rest of the week and will look forward your reply? Debra e
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:17:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh how serene....welcome!
quote:
Originally posted by debra e

Hi Kris and farmgirls
Wanted to share a picture of The Hen House/Garden Shed. There is a porch with 2 rockers that I can sit and watch and listen to the garden growing.
It has been raining here all day...But I hate to complain about the rain for you never know when we would be in a drought situation again. At least the rain is clearing some of the pollen away. It is a good day to "Hole up" and read a good book.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
http://lazyjoranch.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/lazyjoranch
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Angie Yep! that is the best word for that...SERENE! (sometimes a lot of work but I like to think of it as therapy)
Thank you for the welcome. Debra e
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  06:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Debra e from a fellow Ohio girl. Loved the picture of your "hen house" so sweet. You have found a great site to join.
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  5:49:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi again Debra...OMGosh...it IS strange to connect with someone from Stark Co, but so far away now....and to know what we are talking about. I loved Clarkins Carrousel. We bought many, many school clothes there...and our first hamsters& guinea pigs(Sissy & I) and lots of shoes. WOW! This is too funny. There's a Walmart there now....of course. They are everywhere now. *sigh*
Thanks for explaining bottle art to me. I've seen the bottle trees around here. On TV I saw a house made with mud outer walls with those bottles stick in so that when the sun shone, the inside of the house was beautiful with rainbow light. It was amazing! When you come home you're gonna have to let me know so I can meet with you. I have a sister-in-law in Dover. Small, small world! LOL

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  6:22:45 PM  Show Profile
Hey Debra, Connie again. We not only have sister cabins on our places but we both have bottle trees. I am so thrilled to find people with like sensibilities! I had a path lined with broken china plates but the construction required me to take it out. I like the bottle idea. I'm a sucker for colored glass in the sunlight.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  9:12:25 PM  Show Profile
Tammy-Judy-Connie

TAMMY, I looked up Bluffton Ohio.It is around Finley and Lima, (I think)Off of I-75. You are right...this is a great site and fun to connect with other farm girls.

JUDY,Clarkins Carrousel. That was the name of the store. And also there was a PDQ place that we used to stop and get hot dogs a fries. Do you remember that place on 62. How long has your sister-n-law lived in Dover? I still have some family there and friends. We are hoping to come to Canton this spring. I will have to connect with you. I too saw that tv show about the house of bottles.

CONNIE-I will have to take a picture of the bottles. The ground cover hasn't started to come up around the bottles yet. A little to early. We have had a lot of rain lately. Are you? We are to have more tongiht.

You all have a good night and chat with you later. This is so much fun.
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2011 :  9:24:34 PM  Show Profile
It is fun! And yes it rained a little over 1/2 inch today with more on the way. Saturday is supposed to be beautiful. I'm going camping at Cloudland Canyon State Park there in Ga. I've always wanted to see that area. All these years and I've never camped/hiked there. I'd love to see a picture. I'll try to download a pic of my "cabin".
Connie

Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  05:49:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debra -

Welcome to the group! I'm sure you will love it here as much as I do. I see that you are in Georgia. One of my future dream trips is to visit Savannah. Is that anywhere near you? I've wanted to go there for years ever since I read a series of books about that area. I live in Northeast PA but spend a lot of time in PA Amish country (Lancaster County) and have several Amish friends. I would love to visit Sugarcreek one of these days also.

Hugs,
Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

debra e
True Blue Farmgirl

261 Posts

Debra
Georgia
USA
261 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  07:06:21 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Luanne, I live about 4 1/2 hrs from Savannah and you know I have never been there. I have friends & family that have and they love it. I too have been to Lacaster County. Beutiful there. If you ever get to Sugarcreek...go to Berlin and also Walnut Creek. They are the surrounding areas. It has become a little touristy there but still quaint and fun. Charm Ohio is very rural. Had storms through the night and more on the way. Bummer, and I am off from work today. Have a good day and will check later. Debra e
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:44:19 AM  Show Profile
Debra....PDQ id still there, can you believe that? They also have another PDQ in North Canton. Yeah...the name of the show I saw the bottle house on was on TravelChannel, with "SamanthaBrown." She's about our age and goes everywhere. I want her job.LOL My SIL has lived in Dover since the 70's. We took a drive down to Charm last summer and stopped at this diner and little grocery/clothing store and thought that was all there was to see of Charm. The next week we got a paper in the mail from someplace talking about the huge hotel, stables, shops and such. We looked at each other in amazement and said,"OK...we must have just been on the edge of Charm. Another time. LOLOL
We actually had some snow flurries this afternoon. And they promised only rain. And silly me...I believed them! LOL

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

greenearthmomma
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Dorame
Lakeville IN
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2011 :  10:57:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi Debra- love it! I am definitely going to have to adopt your bottle garden idea! have a great day-Dorame

"It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are"- E.E. Cummings
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Hello from debra e Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page