True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  6:29:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

It's our version of the 4th of July...we celebrate Canada Day every year July 1, the day oh so long ago in 1867 we decided to become a country. There's always BBQ's and good times, and always fireworks. This year, I plan to ride my bike down to the lake at enjoy the fireworks at 11pm.

I'll think of all you farmgirls down there celebrating the 4th, if you think of us Canadian farmgirls celebrating the 1st!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  10:00:12 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to Ribfest! Get me some B-B-Q! We'll also probably take in some fireworks some place.

And the family will go to the cemetary to visit Granma. July 1st was her birthday.

In years past (back when I was little) we used to go to Caledon, Ontario to celebrate Canada Day with the Japanese Canadian community. There would be a fishing derby, bingo, kids races (with prizes!), and the raffle. We'd eat rice balls and teriyaki chicken, get money from Granma for popsicles/freezies, and have a lot of fun. I miss those days.
- Cat

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  10:04:45 PM  Show Profile
Gosh sounds wonderful!!! I will be thinking of you gals!! How fun!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  04:55:30 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
My DH & I are going to Canada over this weekend! He runs a restaurant which is closed for a few days over the weekend, so we jumped on the chance to get away. We're staying at this great B&B outside Toronto. We're planning to do some bike riding, go canoeing, explore a few small towns, visit a winery/vineyard etc. I'm so excited! I love Canada.

http://web.mac.com/jacnd/iWeb/citygardenmanual/Welcome.html

Edited by - Judes on Jun 30 2006 04:59:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:42:41 AM  Show Profile
My little sister lives in Toronto, Jude. You'll really like that part of the country...be prepared for some humidity!
Please tell us how your travels were, and which winery you went to. Canada makes some fantastic wine...it's one of our little known secrets!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Yeah? We are toying with the idea of leaving early (sunday or monday, instead of early tuesday morning) Any suggestions of where to stay? or what to attend if we are able to make it for Canada day?

http://web.mac.com/jacnd/iWeb/citygardenmanual/Welcome.html
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Yes, HAPPY CANADA DAY to all of you folks north of the border!

Canada has been my second home over the years. Spokane is only one hundred miles from the border and my family used to take trips there regularly. I've also had many friends there over the years. AND my ex-husband is Canadian and we spent the five two years of our married life living in Canada -- first in Ottawa, then in Whitehorse (Yukon), and lastly in Kimberley, BC. Bob and our daughter go back to Quebec, about 1.5 hours north of Montreal, every summer for a couple of weeks to see his family.

I can't remember, Alsion, if I've ever told you how much I like Lethbridge? I've been there at least a couple of times but the time I remember best was when Bob and I lived in Kimberley. We came to Spokane a lot to visit my family and shop -- Cranbrook didn't have much to offer. One winter day we needed to get away and do something different and we drove to Lethbridge. It was such a nice change! I'll always remember that day. (It was a LONG day, but good.) Last summer my daughter and I were at Police Outpost Provincial Park and I would have liked to have gone to Lethbridge. Someday....

Have a great day tomorrow everyone! Karin
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  1:54:32 PM  Show Profile
Happy Canada Day!!

Hope you all have a great weekend.