True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  3:23:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,

I've had my garden for a couple of years now, and always grow veggies (beans, carrots, peas and so on) because, and don't laugh, but I find these veggies are the easiest to freeze, since I've always been scared to try canning.

I remember my mom and grandma always canned, but I seem to have more memories of exploding jars and sticky messes and spoiled fruit than of actually eating the food.

However, I'd love to move past that, and start canning on my own. Are there any other first time canners out there? Please tell me your tips and troubles and stories, because I'd like to learn how to can my own fruits and veggies.

Thank you muchly!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  11:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Alison. I don't have anything to share, but hopefully that will change soon. I'm going to try canning for the first time in the next week or two.

I have strawberries in the freezer waiting to become jam, and I have a lead on a store to buy the jars/lids. I can't believe how hard it is to find these things. My mom finally found a canner for me at the local hardware store, of all places. It was in the back room covered with dust. I've ordered one of the Ball books on canning from the library, and it should reach my branch next week. They have several and they all have "canning" in the title, if you want to check it out.

I remember my mom and dad canning a lot too, but I don't remember any disasters. I was suprised to hear about all the things that can go wrong - that's why I'm getting the book, not just going by the directions on the pectin box!

I'll let you know what happens, and I'll be looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences too.
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  12:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I canned peaches from our peach tree (YUM!) and roma tomatoes from our garden. I liked doing these because they are acidic and are done differently from other things. Since then I've gotten a flat burner stove and the canning pot doesn't work on those. Someday I hope to have something set up in the summer, like a hot plate or a Coleman stove on the patio, so I can use that to can.

I have a wonderful canning booklet put out by Ball. It's like a bible for canning! I've also seen a "Canning for Dummies" book which might be helpful.

I wish that those of us interested in canning could get together and have some kind of workshop for canning!

Let us know how things go. Karin
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  2:18:49 PM  Show Profile
I tried my hand at canning for the first time ever this year..my mom in law bought me one of those salsa canning kits that you can get at Walmart. I went and bought about 13 lbs of roma tomatoes and gave it a try. It worked! I set my timer on the stove to make sure I didn't boil the jars too long or get things too hot. Every single jar sealed perfectly and we had homemade salsa for a while. I would suggest trying something like this just to see if you want to go into it more. Also if you have a Fred's store nearby they have canning supplies there at very reasonable prices. Barring that Lehman's online has the canning supplies as well.
I am wanting to can some strawberry jam soon though too. But hey..go for it. you never know until you try.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  5:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Alison,
I am not new to canning, but can offer this tip...get the canning guide put out by Ball. It is a WONDERFUL guide and they used to have an 800 number that you could call with questions. They were so helpful to me when I started. Of course I understand your fear because dunno if I would can if my mom and grandma had exploded things!! Both my grandmother and mother put up or preserved food in many ways while I was growing up and never anything exploding..yikes !! Please be careful and I hope you are able to learn and enjoy it as much as I do..it is such a rewarding thing to do!! All the Best!

PS here is link to buy the books. There are two recent ones and I would try to see them both to see if they are the same just updated or different (I have an old copy from the early 90's). If they are different, I would get them both! The last link is the newest book they have out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000F1H4EO/qid=1151714103/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-2200153-6444813?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0972753702/ref=pd_cp_b_title/002-2200153-6444813?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=283155

And here are some canning links, I do not know how good they are but it is a place to start!
http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALBasics.asp

http://www.canning-food-recipes.com/index.html

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp?pn=BK2140&bhcd2=1151714529

Hope it helps!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  6:06:09 PM  Show Profile
Be careful about canning!! I am a science teacher, so have some experience in microbiology. Remember you need to know your high acid foods from your low acid foods. I would suggest a good canning book, like Ball's. Low-acid foods should be processed in a pressure cooker (240 degrees, vegetables, meats, poultry, and seafood). High acid foods like pickles, berries, fruits, and tomatoes can be processed in a hot water bath (212 degrees). You also need to adjust for altitude, 212 degrees is boiling at sea level and for each 1,000 ft in altitude substract 2 degrees. If you don't don't know your altitude, just watch when your water boils, put in a thermometer for 30 sec.) Another problem is folks don't process long enough (check your recipe) or use enough vinegar (remember vinegar in your grandmother's recipe was 7% but NOW vinegar is only 5% so you need equal amounts of vinegar and water). Clean the rim of the glass jar very well, as your lid won't "pop" if anything on the rim. Here is a good website http://www.canningpantry.com/index.html they can help you with questions or supplies.
Go to Top of Page

Sue-eee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Susan
Drummond ok
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  7:22:33 PM  Show Profile
I can alot and highly recommend getting a new edition of Ball's Canning Book. Don't depend on old out of date books that may have wrong processing times. Also, if you are going to use a pressure canner, make sure the seal is in good shape. You may be able to have the pressure canner tested at your local county extention agency.
Read, be careful and have fun!

~~Susan~~
wife and mommy
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic New to Canning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page