rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  5:17:00 PM  Show Profile
Am I supposed to boil the potatoes before I use them in a BakeOver? The recipes say nothing about that. I sauteed my veggies about 10 minutes to make sure the potatoes (all pieces less than 1/2 inch cubed) would cook and I have a beautiful BakeOver full of mostly uncooked potatoes.

This is why I hate to cook. I've got a husband on the way home and a hungry teen and a dinner I can't serve....The crust looks great but if I put it back in the oven it will burn the crust....I'm very frustrated. So far two recipes haven't worked right....

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile

Allison-

I usually boil my potatoes first for any casserole that I make.( Not all the way though, I don't want them to be mushy.) That way I know they will be cooked through in the casserole. Trial and error is the only way to find these things out- Or a little advice from the farmgirls!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  10:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you. I'm sorry to be so frustrated but there are 12 bakeover recipes in the famed Farm Kitchen magazine and not one of them says to boil the potatoes first. I took that as the ultimate farmgirl advice. I didn't want to second guess this wonderful "easy" meal system with my own ideas and I guess I hoped too much that it was as easy as described. No more potato bakeovers this week. I'll use easily cooked veggies instead.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  07:18:14 AM  Show Profile
Alison - That DOES sound frustrating. I made a BakeOver with potatoes in it and I *didn't* boil them first - I just had to make sure that I cut them into pretty small cubes. They cooked up fine in that one. I'll bet if you want to make sure that they cook through, and you don't want to pre-boil (I sure don't!), you could slice them, too. In fact, now that I think of it, I might try that next time - I'll slice them into maybe 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices and cut the slices in half or quarters and layer them into the BakeOver.

I know the yuckiness of having a hungry husband and child and no dinner ready. Yuck. I hope these ideas make things easier for you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:00:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi,I really like Libbie's idea to slice instead of cube the potatoes. My two efforts at bakeovers has not included potatoes, so Allison, thanks for the heads-up! Sliced potatoes could also be arranged nicely on the bottom of the pan so the upside-down finished product looks especially nice.

Jo
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  08:22:28 AM  Show Profile
Allison,
We’ve learned that some people are visual learners so that’s why we’re trying to get a short video finished for our website that shows Julie Bell making our Budget Mix biscuits. Some of our recipes (like the biscuits and the scones) are wetter than you’d expect when mixed. It’s our signature way of ensuring a moist, soft scone; a light, moist biscuit, etc. In our last issue Julie used the words knead (and she cautioned not to overmix the dough) but it might help if you think FOLD instead. Fold the wet dough using plenty of flour on your hands and on the cutting board and biscuit cutter. (When people see the word knead, they think stiff bread dough.) Once you’ve mixed the dough with a spoon for no more than 15 strokes, roll the wet mass with your hands onto a floured surface. With floured hands, gently fold the mass in half about 15 more times. (You’ll need to grab more flour for your hands with each fold.) Now, coat your cutting tool in flour and press your biscuits. I just pat the dough out into a fat, uneven circle and start cutting my rounds. You don’t really need a rolling pin. We decided to stick with the more moist dough because the end results are so so so much better! The results never taste overworked and tough or cakey and it’s a good way to make a biscuit without having to cut in some butter or dig into the dreaded “shortening can.” I think if you could see one of us do it, you’d instantly get it. As you handle the dough, think of it as a small water balloon and each biscuit as a smaller water balloon. It isn’t like hard bread dough.
As for your uncooked potatoes, one-half inch cubes sautéed for ten minutes should work. It does for us. I’m not sure what happened. Maybe your oven temp. is off?? I have an oven here that was giving me fits so I bought an oven thermometer and have learned to set it 25 degrees higher than the dial. Did you pre-heat it to 425 degrees? Did you bake the BakeOver in the same pan that you sautéed the potatoes and veggies in? That should have kept everything all warm and ready to bake. We’ve made a thousand BakeOvers using potatoes and they are always perfectly done, not too done, not undone. Hmmmm. We use our little light weight pan that heats up quickly. Gosh, any chance you can stop by for some good eats? We could make them together until we got it right and answered ALL your questions!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  10:22:57 AM  Show Profile
I sure appreciate your thorough explaination MaryJane...I have loved the scones I made with the mix and have loved the recipes I have tried.
I slice and saute the potatoes I have used in bakeovers with no problems. I slice thin.
It is so fun to try all the new recipes and all!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  3:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Yes, thank you, MaryJane,for this biscuit/scone explanation. It sure is more detailed than "Beat with a wooden spoon for only about 15 strokes until a stiff dough forms." Luckily I knew how to fix a dough, but I am surprised at how different the recipe is from the reality. If it's supposed to be wet and sticky for a light and tasty baked good, then maybe the recipe got mixed up before printing. It happens. Publishing can be a tricky thing.

As for the Bakeover - I'm ashamed as a housewife to say, I'm not good at fixing a dinner! LOL I get so terribly frustrated when I try to do exactly as a recipe says and then I don't have dinner for the family. It's my terribly bad karma...oh, dear. I always said, if I ever got stinking rich, I'd live exactly as I do now - except I'd have a cook! I have a different pan, but did everything as described so I don't know...

Ah, if only I could make it up to the farm to learn to cook! Wouldn't that be fun! Well, live and learn. It's just a sore spot for me to not cook well, and I appreciate everyone helping me know more.

Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  4:07:05 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello Allison,
I sympathize will your stressful cooking experences. I too at one time was unable to boil water much less make a dinner. My mothers best meal was heavy processed ring bologna boiled, canned peas and generic boxed mac and cheese. So she was of no help! My grandmother gave me her Betty Crocker (Red Plaid)hardcover Cookbook. Betty taught me everything I needed to know to cook anything. Great pictures and good soild easy instructions. I'm sure you can find the book at a resale, goodwill or such store. I have not had any problems with the bake overs but then again I really did not follow the instructions as I improvised. But they were VERY YUMMY!

Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  5:42:51 PM  Show Profile
Alison,
Maybe someday you'll be able to join us here. Wouldn't that be fun! This weekend we'll have lots of farmgirls, although I know we won't be making BakeOvers! More like farmgirl ComeOvers and SleepOvers. We've checked Julie's recipes many times and sent them off to be tested by anonymous people but the problem lies in the learned definition of words like "stiff." It's a struggle to custom fit everything we say. Sewing patterns are even harder! That's why I think videos and even TV are the way to go for certain things (or your next door neighbor). If we could spend some time together maybe you could help us with our recipe language. In fact, are you game? If I send you a bunch more Budget Mix, could you give us more feedback? Let's start with the scones. I'll send enough for you play to your heart's content....if you have the time. If Julie Bell were here, we could even give you her direct line. Maybe I can talk her into helping from afar. She's headed to culinary school. It's a big step. She called from the airport last night to say she was exhausted and scared but determined to start her life over in a new place. Her divorce was hard. I am so PROUD of her. I just know she's making the right decision. She is soooooo talented.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  5:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and I forgot to add, I usually saute my BakeOver veggies, including spuds, for only about five minutes. I'm just determined to figure out what it is you're doing wrong. Next time you're out shopping, pick up an oven thermometer. That may be the culprit. A 400 degree oven won't work for a BakeOver.
Go to Top of Page

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  7:18:39 PM  Show Profile
Maybe each farmgirl chapter should send a cooking "representative" for a weekend with Julie Bell at Maryjane's Farm to learn how to do these recipes, then take the knowledge home. Or just having workshops/seminars at the farm that are over a weekend, or a traveling workshop/seminar leader that went to different chapters in different regions. Just some ideas.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2006 :  11:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Love your idea Juliekay! I've got my thinkin' cap on now!!...a "farmgirl university" that's here, there and everywhere. I'll bring your idea up this weekend around our campfire. Stay tuned.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2006 :  05:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Well, now I am going to have to start a chapter!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  8:00:04 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry, I've been swamped here and haven't had a minute to catch up.

MaryJane, that's such a generous offer. I do have plenty of Budget mix as I bought 2 3# quantities. The scones did come out alright, but I thought I had done something wrong since the dough wasn't "stiff" as the magazine said it would. Your explanation of what it SHOULD be like was right on the money - exactly as I did experience it. And once I added a bit more flour, they came out great.

I do have an oven that's 25 degrees too hot and I always have to set it at 25 degrees less than what's called for. Perhaps it is more variable than I imagined. I do have an oven thermometer and I will definitely check it out.

Anyway, got a bunch more chicken breasts in the freezer and fresh veggies on hand! So I'll be able to give it a whirl again tomorrow now that things have slowed down a bit.

And BTW, we had strawberries in the house and some heavy cream - just a half of one of the scone wedges in a small dish covered with cut berries and cream is: HEAVEN! It had a lighter, fresher taste than the shortbreads I use to make. So add that one to the list gals! You've gotta try it if you haven't. (aren't the simplest things always the best?)

Oh boy though! If we all got together for cooking school at MJ's we'd be rolling home from too much good stuff to eat. Maybe it's better if I don't learn to cook! But it would be a hoot.

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  8:28:23 PM  Show Profile
I would love a chance to come cook with the pro's at the farm... it would be so much fun to get involved in a project like a university too! Allison, One of my favorite variations on the scones.. (boy do I ever love those scones) is to put cranberries in them. They come out a smidge more tart but I love them!

Edited by - Whimsy_girl on Jul 04 2006 09:23:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2006 :  9:55:13 PM  Show Profile
Sorry...had to get a towel to wipe the drool off my chin - I LOVE cranberries.

In Alaska, I used to comb the autumn woods for lowbush cranberries and I froze them and used them into the winter. But I like anything called cranberry.

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2006 :  09:23:20 AM  Show Profile
Allison, I was born in Alaska and spent summers there with my grandparents in Wasilla and Anchorage, I also have family in Homer! Where in Alaska did you live?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's something else that makes the scones really rock!

When I top the scones, instead of regular grainulated sugar, I use organic turbinado sugar or Sukanaut (sp?) so not only do you get those crunchy sweet grains of sugar, but they are also REALLY pretty.. so if you are serving them for a family brunch or if you have some people out to tea, it is amazing how much they will sparkle.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.

Edited by - Whimsy_girl on Jul 04 2006 09:34:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  10:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Bobbi, I lived in a tiny cabin with my two kids in Sterling. If you blinked, you missed it on the way to Soldotna from Cooper Landing (just before Soldotna).

I love the idea of a larger sugar granule on top. And the pix above are sweet, too.

Now we're in the desert, I really miss the berries and wild things (like salmon from the river) to eat right outside the door. This is NOT my natural environment. I'm an arctic sort of gal. Alaska felt more like home than anywhere else I ever lived.

Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile
That sounds fantastic! I know where Soldotna is, I used to be a clerk for Spenard Builders Supply in Anchoarge when I was a wee rat of 15.. I used to ship stuff there all the time.

My favorite thing there at the time was all the moose.. just hanging out.. blocking up traffic, scaring people who were taking out their trash... I loved watching them because they are even more gangly than me! I've been wanting to get my husband that direction for a vacation, my Montana man would love love love the wildness and the purity of Alaska.. so far we haven't made it that far but someday!!

Bobbi

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2006 :  10:21:20 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane,
How wonderful of you to dive in and help with the recipes! I love the idea of a "Farmgirl U" and would certainly hope to be a part of that graduating class :) Maybe you could do a regional cooking thing tied in with a book/workbook release? Think of it! You could have an"apron in an hour" class; "embroidery in an evening"! Something for those who may not be able to go all the way to Idaho, but could make something a bit closer. I'd even bet that some of the farmgirls wouls open up homes or shops for the day. Why do I suddenly feel like I'm in a Judy Garland - Mickey Rooney movie??? ("We could put on a show! Let's use my father's garage!!") LOL
And Bobbi, your baby is adorable!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Raw Potatoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page