Page: of 2

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2011 :  12:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hi Karen
I am just finishing my first year with chickens. I hatched them with my grandson. Out of 12, 9 made it through the first year. Most of mine are black australorp and are very good layers. From 6 hens I can usually count on 4 eggs a day. That's enough to supply both my household and my daughter with fresh eggs.I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed the chickens.
I am not sure they are any cheaper than store bought,but they are sure much better.
During the winter I grew sprouts and wheat grass for them. I also watched the reduced produce for greens. I think my layers are safe but considering raising some meat birds too
Susan
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  7:06:43 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, I got the Storey book at the library today as well as the one about backyard chickens. Daughter, based on a few comments, is kind of warming up to the idea of having some feathered friends. DH has resigned himself to the idea too, but wants to clarify that he's a SUBURBAN boy rather than a city boy. Tee hee!

Also saw on a website how I can make inexpensive feeders and waterer's out of 5 gallon containers. Cool thing is, DH can get loads of them from work. Yeah! I actually have one in the barn that I was saving for my homemade laundry detergent. Unfortunately, it's taking forever and a day to use up our store bought Gain detergent so it'll be awhile for that.

But I worry about cold weather. Here in Ohio we had a VERY cold one, and I just don't know how they'd fare?

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  8:06:25 PM  Show Profile
Whoo hoo! Went to my parents and they gave me a galvanized container (think smallish lidded garbage can) that I'm going to keep my chicken feed in. I may spray paint it to give it a cutesie look beings it's going to be outside all the time. And, because we have critters, it's got a handle on the lid and handles on the sides so I can secure it shut somehow.

They also gave me an old sled with runners on it that will surely look purty on our porch this winter. (Ew......I shudder to even THINK of that word after what the last 5 months were like!) And I came home with a spreader, too. It doesn't look the best but I'm sure it'll get the job done.

Thanks Mom and Dad!

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  10:05:45 PM  Show Profile
susan i am so sorry i have not been on here. i have been crazy busy. tomorrow i can answer your questions. so sorry. and yes coffee grounds and raw potatoes are hard for chickens to digest. did you get your chicks? happy days for you sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  07:19:44 AM  Show Profile
well karen, i must have been tired last night. i said susan. so sorry gads. anyway there is one thing you could do to help protect them is a piece for tarp along the line where the two properties border. i make my own privacy fencing. one year our neighbor sprayed round up on a windy day. i lost a summer garden. so now i have a brown tarp cut to fir my fence. i bought oversize tarps and cut to fit. then i grommet the cut sides. we use zip ties. i tried wire to hook to fence. the wind made the wire rub. it cut right through the metal grommet over time. i put a grommet every 2 feet. there is a 6 foot fence with this on it noiw. it will stop wind drift of his chemicals. not perfect but surely a make do. it will help protect you and your yard of overspray and wind drift. i so enjoy your posts. have you gotten your chicks yet? happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  9:24:08 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a favorite poultry mail order company they can reccomend? I'm kinda particular about my breeds and there aren't a whole lot of chicken or duck people in my area to get them local.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2011 :  07:29:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm still researching. Going one step at a time so I can do this the correct way right from the get go. I'm glad I'm doing it this way as I'm finding that this isn't something that you 'wing it' as you do. Originally I was going to just modify our existing outbuilding for a coop, but then discovered (while doing research) it'd be a wiser choice for us to have a chicken tractor to move around our yard. I think the chickens would be happier. So - I'm now looking at one website called Backyard Chickens (FABULOUS website, BTW!) that has loads of designs, pictures, etc. on anything you can imagine - from simple as can be to the cutest darn coops (houses, more like it) that one can imagine.

And then there's the chicks themselves. I could go locally to our co-op or Tractor Supply Co. etc. to get them - but I know zilch about what to look for, and I don't want to get a surprise down the line (a rooster, perhaps).

As for the designs, I love the idea of having a 'hatch' in the back of the coop behind the nesting boxes for easy egg removal and cleaning. I like the idea of having a way to easily clean their poo from the coop bottom - maybe with a wire floor (but I'm hesitating on that one as I would think that wouldn't be too comfortable on their little feet. Yeah, simple for me to clean but what about THEM?). Maybe a removable tarp? And then there's the bedding. I like the thick bedding that some talk about that doesn't require daily cleanup - but I would think that would get awfully stinky as you're just layering poo upon poo upon poo......

So, these are my thoughts so far. And another thing, I'm thinking I'm going to have to have a compost bin behind the barn for said poo so we can use it 'later' for our garden. So that is yet another issue......what kind to build!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Cost of raising chickens? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page