kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  06:56:08 AM  Show Profile
This is what greets me first thing in the mornings when I open the kitchen door.

So I have to go feed them all.

Here's Bubba and Sophie, waiting for their breakfast too.

Then there are the cats. Which I don't have a good picture of yet. There are 6 of them.

Then I go milk the goats. Here is Abby all ready to go.

Here is Sandy too.

Then off to feed Mazie and Chuck. I always throw them a flake of hay every morning. Chuck is starting to eat it too.

Then to check on the turkeys and feed them. They are busy now on nests of eggs that will hopefully hatch on Mother's day!

Then it's back inside for breakfast. Yesterday I went to pick up the pork from the pig I had butchered a few weeks ago.

I got lots of sausage. So I cooked some of that and some fresh eggs from my hens and bread that I made myself. And coffee with fresh goat milk. It is SO good to be able to eat what I have grown or raised right here at Outback Farm. Such a good feeling. I really feel like a farmer now.

I also noticed this morning when I was feeding the cows that some of the fence was a little lower. Mazie has been known to tear down some fence to get to the other side. And that's my garden on the other side. So I ran to the garage and grabbed some fence fixing stuff and fixed it right quick. She also likes to help me with her long sticky cow tongue. What fun!

I always wonder how other farmgirls start their days. My feet hit the floor running most of the time. But I am greeted with all this love. And hunger. So it's nice to be able to sit and drink a nice cup of something warm.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Apr 23 2011 06:58:04 AM

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  07:03:55 AM  Show Profile
maizie is a cutie cow. your place looks divine. those chickens know who their mama is. so cute. i usually hear mine hollering, feed me feed me. i love all the pics. i am still waiting on the 2 does. waiting is not easy sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  07:04:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh what a wonderful way to start each day......I only have to feed my chickens, in 2 separate coops in two separate areas & feed the 3 cats, plus make sure my crippled hen who lives in the house is taken care of.....but oh what a wonderful sight you see each day....& they are all beautiful!!!!...michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  07:32:02 AM  Show Profile
And now I have to load 2 does and 4 kids in the back of my Trooper to take them to Sale Creek to get the kids disbudded. Had to layer plastic and then cardboard in the back for them. I need a horse trailer bad. This will be fun trying to load them all up without any getting back out. I guess I should load the mommas first. Wish me luck. I'll need it.

Still no kids, Sherrye? These goats like to keep us waiting, don't they?

Thank you, Michele. I love them all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  07:50:07 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful way to start the day!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

Farmgirl sister #2822
http://embchicken.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  07:50:44 AM  Show Profile
Boy your post brought back a lot of memories! There was a time in my life when I started my days like yours only with 3 little kids to add to the mix

But divorce 16 years ago brought all that to a halt. The hardest part of it was loosing my little farm and having to sell my herd of goats, which felt like selling my kids I still cling to the hope of having that life again on a a little place of my own, with goats, chickens, geese, pigs, sheep maybe (for the fleece), a horse to ride and maybe some Highland cattle!

You are a lucky woman to have so much! By the way, love the aprons hanging by the door

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6683 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6683 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  07:58:57 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, may I come and spend a few days with you? All the animals are so sweet, what a fabulous way to wake up in the morning, you are truly Blessed.
Thank you so much for sharing such sweet pics.
Farm girl Hugs,
Debbie

www.etsy.com/shop/CollectThisTreasures

http://debbielynnf.blogspot.com

http://myworld.ebay.com/debbt
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  11:16:45 AM  Show Profile
Just got back from the wild ride with 6 goats in the back of my car. Now that was fun! And quite stinky, too. The disbudding went well. I almost bought a few more goats but thank goodness there was no more room in the car. And I am brike. So that will have to wait til I can save some more money. She only wants $200 for the young does and $300. for the older does. But she will throw on a buck of I were to get one. They were all so cute.

So I am glad that is over. Now back to work.

Cynthia, I am so sorry all that happened. Maybe some day you can do it all over again. Ya never know.

Debbie, come on over. I would be glad to have some help here. Anytime you want to is fine with me.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  11:47:37 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Kristin, your post made me smile. :) Thank you for sharing!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  1:41:19 PM  Show Profile
Cynthis, the purple apron on the left I got from Mary Jane and Meg for being Farmgirl of the Month. ANd the green one I got from Ruth (Violet Rose). She made that special for me. There is not another one like it. The short half apron my mom got me for Christmas. I love aprons.

Hannah, your welcome. I glad you liked it. I love my critters. They make me happy. Well, most of the time. When I am not chasing them or they're chasing me!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  2:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Kristin- what a lovely post. Yes it sure looks like you have your work cut out for you each morning, but it does look and sound very rewarding as well. I LOVE to see all these farmgirl pictures- it literally brings everything to life!
I have 2 kids (children not goats...lol) to get off to school in the morning, 1 dog, 1 cat and a coop of chickens to feed each morning.

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  3:46:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kristen,

I forgot to mention that your story of loading up the goats in your Trooper also reminded me of when I used to load up our goats in my Chevy station wagon and haul them down to the fairgrounds for the county fair because I was the 4-H goat club leader and 2 of my boys had their own goats that they showed. I usually had to make a few trips to get them and everything else needed down there.

I also put plastic down to catch anything during the transport It used to horrify my ex-husband to see me use my car to haul farm animals in it! He's the guy who doesn't eat or drink in his cars and washes and waxes them every week...and still does

Thanks for helping me smile today and for the memories!

And "as God as my witness" I WILL have my little farm again!!! (hoping everyone gets the Gone With the Wind humor)

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

Edited by - cynfullypurple on Apr 23 2011 3:48:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  3:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, 2 kids is alot of work to get up and get going in the morning. When my 3 grands stay here it seems like it takes them forever to even get up out of the bed in the morning. Then they come down one at a time. So it takes even longer. But so much fun.

Cynthia, the seats fold up so I have more room. I did put down plastic plus cardboard then some wood shavings to soak up the pee. It seems like the older does pee the whole way there and back. Plus the plastic or rubber lining in the back to cover the carpet. I need to get the hand vacuum and clean it now. But them I'll have to go get hay next week. So there's really no sense in cleaning it, right? Your 4-H trips sound like lots of fun. It is just easier to olad them up in the car than to borrow a trailer and have to use the truck. Plus I get a kick out of seeing people point and look at the goats. So fun. And I did get the humor! You WILL have a farm again!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  5:14:06 PM  Show Profile
I remember those looks Kristin! And I also used to haul hay in my station wagon as well. Sounds like we've had similar experiences And yes, I think you should wait to clean the car out after you pick up the hay I think the goats pee and poop more when they're in the car because they get nervous.

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  5:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Kris- I enjoyed seeing what your mornings are like. Made me smile. Hope the goats are OK after their surgery. What kind of after care do they require after disbudding?
I use my Jeep Grand Cherokee for everything most sane folks use a truck for!
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  5:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Connie, the kids are doing great. All we have ever done is spray them with Furall. But she have purple spray. I got some on my arm. It stains. I have never had any problems doing this. I brought the does so the kids could nurse right after. That makes them feel all better. I will keep an eye on them though and spray more to keep flies away. She didn't castrate Sandy's bucks. I'll wait to see if anyone wants it done when they are ready to sell in a few months. But they were running and jumping around and chasing each other earlier.

Cynthia, I have had 4 grown sheep in the back of the Trooper too. And I can get 5 bales of hay. It's a pretty handy vehicle to have. I can do just about anything that a truck can do. But it sure needs a bath bad.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  6:41:03 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I was smiling reading this whole post! What a great way to start the day :) and I love your collection of Aprons. My days are kinda the same only I have one hungry cowboy that gets mad if I feed the animals before him ;)
We are getting goats.. I'm excited. I want to get a few more pigs so I can have one processed. I only have one pig right now and I'd feel bad if I ate him since he's the only one.
You are blessed with your animals :)

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  6:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Tara, Let us know when you get your goats!! So excited for you!
Hugs,
hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219!

"Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away."

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile
The pictures of the goats on the stanchions was a few years ago but they look the same. I haven't taken any new ones in a while. I will though.

Tara, what kind of goats are you getting? I am kind of missing my pigs. I am actually thinking about getting another just for us during the summer. We had pork chops last night, sausage this morning and we'll have some of the cured ham tomorrow. I'll have to get another one soon.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  9:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh, thanks guys! I thought I was the oddest oddball when I back up my PT cruiser and asked the hay barn to give me 2 bales of alfalfa in the hatch! I haven't stuck farm animals in the back of my town car just yet!

My mornings start at 7:30.
Coffee goes on, dogs go out--two in the front on cables to guard my grapes from the birds and discourage my voles. I get the baby awake and freshened up with a mini bottle to hold her till sit down breakfast. By then I have breakfast figured out, and I zip my preschooler 2 miles down the road and check her into school, then back home to cook up that breakfast I set out. After I've got hubby and baby fed and coffe'ed/cereal'ed (My school district serves breakfast as part of the daily lesson plan for my school aged ones) I let the horses out to either stretch their legs and interact in the back paddock, or in the back yard if it needs some old fashioned mowing--- then I water the garden and my plants heavily to carry them through the day's heat.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

cynfullypurple
True Blue Farmgirl

190 Posts

Cynthia
Endwell NY
USA
190 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  06:19:35 AM  Show Profile
I just had to say I love your quote Jennifer:) TOOOO funny!!!!! And sooooo true!!

Cyn~
Farmgirl #2817

Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  06:53:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Kris, thanks for sharing your pictures and your morning! I love the aprons by the door too! Sure is a lot of work being a Farmgirl but SOOO worth it!! :)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977
www.calicocandy.etsy.com
http://stores.countrycents.com/StoreFront.bok?affiliate_no=6
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  5:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Yes it is worth it all. I can't think of a better view first thing in the morning. And when we eat dinner we watch farm tv out the big picture window. So we have big screen farm tv! Never a dull moment out there. There are horses across the road we can see from here too. And yesterday Bubba was barking and I saw a white tail bouncing back down the driveway. It was a deer. It ran back across the road and jumped the horse fence and ran up the hill. All the horses stopped and were watching it. And there are wild turkeys all over. So fun.

Thanks y'all, for sharing your mornings with me. I am getting back into the milking routine again. I have missed that. And I will staart walking at 8 am every morning now instead of 8:30. Another friend is joining us and needs to walk earlier.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Before I Even Eat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page