Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 Keeping in Touch
 What do you use your old jars for?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What do you use your old jars for? Next Topic
Page: of 2

mandashell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amanda
Norco California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  01:07:52 AM  Show Profile
New post on my blog!
http://hopscotchdandelions.blogspot.com/
Do you have any creative uses for old mason jars?
Recipe included!!

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  05:52:51 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
hi amanda, and thanks for the great pic this morning.
my use isnt novel at all, but grew out of neccesity. i use my jars in all my crafting storage cause it helps so much to see everything.

love
frannie in texas
farmgirl sister#807
home of "green"crafts,
where no scrap is left behind
(http://abunnystale.wordpress.com/)

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  06:18:30 AM  Show Profile
I recently re-organized my bathroom and used mason jars to store my extra razors, toothbrushes, etc. It looks super cute and organized in my closet. I also lined the cupboards with a plaid lining and tied matching fabric in bows around the neck as well!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  11:29:33 AM  Show Profile
I reuse my canning jars for almost everything ... if it fits that is.
From storing left-overs, craft supplies, drink cups when we are working outside, baking supplies, there is really no limit as long as it fits !
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  1:00:48 PM  Show Profile
terrariums!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  6:54:33 PM  Show Profile
Depending on the size of the jar, we use them for drinking glasses! Also use them to store odds & ends in. And I use them when mixing up different herbal concoctions.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://www.mynsp.com/rksmith
http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Brandy Patricia
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Brandy
Sarasota Florida
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  12:01:20 PM  Show Profile
You know all of those fancy blender machines they advertise on TV, you know, the personal little blenders with one serving size. I just don't get it. Why spend 30 bucks on a piece of junk thats going to sit in your cuppard for ages without use? Anyway, mason jars make the best little blenders. I drink a powdered greens health shake for breakfast every morning and shaking it up in the jar with the lid on it works just fine.

Life's a ditch when you're a dirt digger.
Go to Top of Page

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  12:41:00 PM  Show Profile
I use mine to store my spices in the cupboard-those that I buy & those that I dehydrate!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  08:21:18 AM  Show Profile
The wide-mouth half-pint size are perfect for a lunch container - cottage cheese and applesauce....
soup.....
fresh fruit cut up....
I love canning jars - lovely picture:)

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile
Tomato Sauce or anything that will stain plastic.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  10:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Oohhhhh - geraniums! I can almost smell their sweet scent! What a beautiful picture, Amanda!!!

I love to use my jars for craft storage; for all sorts of stuff... buttons, ribbons, notions, spools of thread, flowers, craft sponges, odds and ends of paper, precut cardboard letters, small tools - you name it. I have some really pretty pins from the craft store with hearts and flowers on the end, so I stuck some cotton in the bottom of a jelly jar with all the different colored pins sticking up from it; when sealed and displayed on the shelf, it looks like a cool pin terrarium! ;) They're also great to organize packets in the cupboard - like kool aid or gravy and dip mixes. On our kitchen counter I have a four-jar canning jar holder in which sits a jar of homemade hot chocolate mix, a jar of mini marshmallows, a jar of peppermint sticks for stirring, and one filled with seasonal themed candy. I also use my smallest canning jars for spices or for storing seeds. Canning jars sure are pretty nifty! :) - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  7:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have tons full of the buttons I've collected, I use some for drinking glasses, they're great for bringing that extra bit of soup to my grandma's house (she lives alone), a vase, and my DH keeps little washes, screws and the like in them. There are so many uses.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  8:18:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh how beautiful!
quote:
Originally posted by mandashell

New post on my blog!
Do you have any creative uses for old mason jars?
Recipe included!!

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
Go to Top of Page

ChickieMama
True Blue Farmgirl

303 Posts

Angela
Banks Oregon
USA
303 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  8:21:36 PM  Show Profile
We also use them for our drinking glasses and friends and family always think it is so cool. I have also put a small plant in one as a terrarium and gave it as a gift.

Farmgirl Sister#2808
"Happy Hens make Happy Eggs"
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  9:09:57 PM  Show Profile
I store smaller quantities of food in them in my kitchen because I buy a lot of things in bulk. If I find a small jar with a tight lid I will use it to put my own paint mixtures in it. Of course you can use them to hold brushes, pens & pencils, too.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

ShilohsHaven2011
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Rachel
Crossville TN
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2011 :  11:04:16 AM  Show Profile
I use them to store dry beans, rice, soups and sauces. I have tons out in the garage waiting to be reused this fall when my mom and I start canning what we can. I also use them to package homemade dry drink mixes and gift them out for birthdays and holidays.
Go to Top of Page

mandashell
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amanda
Norco California
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  6:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas!!

Go to Top of Page

Arctic Flower
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Marjorie
Nenana Alaska
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  7:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I use them for all the things you farm girls have mentioned. I have one more thing I put in one of my jars. SPIDERS!! I swear when the weather starts getting warm they start crawling out of hibernation onto my bedroom ceiling and I keep a "spider jar" to catch those little creepy crawlies. Usually I just call my husband and hand him the jar. I'm not afraid of them, he is just taller and I don't run the risk of having them fall on me. Eeekk!!! Then we can take them outside. I don't kill them cause they eat tiny little insects. I just don't want them on my ceilings.

Farmgirl #2416

Believe in the power of Love!
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2011 :  05:06:36 AM  Show Profile
This year I'm also going to try and make lanterns out of a few to hang on the porch. I think I'm going to put generic, cheap coffee beans in them, and a small pillar candle, and hang them up with wire on a line, so I can easily take them down to light/blow them out.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosalind
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rosalind
Saratoga Springs NY
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  6:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Rosalind a Yahoo! Message
Hi. I'm new to the group.
I use old jars as storage of sewing supplies, as vases and mostly in my craft projects. You can see them at www.lilacsandlavender.webs.com
I especially like the nicely shaped jars.
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  2:43:44 PM  Show Profile
I use Mason jars for everything...even the dried garlic and red chili peppers from last year's garden are sitting on the kitchen cabinet stored in a couple of old Mason jars, with the glass lids.

Love those red geraniums!!! Beautiful picture!

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  5:02:43 PM  Show Profile
I wash all my resealable screw top jars and store them next to my mixing bowls. Everytime I'm making breakfast with my kids, or I'm in a hurry I crack my eggs inside and shake the sealed jar to scramble them up really well. My girls love shaking up the jars, and i can do something else like start the bacon while they scramble. Many hands make for light work!

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  5:13:25 PM  Show Profile
I have some very old Peanut Butter jars and on the lid says $1.89, the price of the PB. They are glass and I have several to store my macaroni, various rices, red hots, and other yummy things.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  5:14:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Arctic Flower

Yeah, I use them for all the things you farm girls have mentioned. I have one more thing I put in one of my jars. SPIDERS!! I swear when the weather starts getting warm they start crawling out of hibernation onto my bedroom ceiling and I keep a "spider jar" to catch those little creepy crawlies. Usually I just call my husband and hand him the jar. I'm not afraid of them, he is just taller and I don't run the risk of having them fall on me. Eeekk!!! Then we can take them outside. I don't kill them cause they eat tiny little insects. I just don't want them on my ceilings.

Farmgirl #2416

I have a pact of non-agression with the daddy longlegs in my bathroom skylight. I let them stay and catch bugs if they don't colonize outside the boundaries of the skylight. otherwise it's a good old fashioned BROOM CATACLYSM!

Believe in the power of Love!

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2011 :  8:34:44 PM  Show Profile
We use them to make a mini "general store" in our pantry of dried fruits, nuts, grains, popcorn kernels, oats- just about anything that fits in a jar! :-) It looks really cute.

~Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  09:14:32 AM  Show Profile
Such great ideas...this makes me want to go organize my kitchen and bathroom cabinets! It's still raining today so......maybe :)

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy stores on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfancies.etsy.com
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
http://www.frolicnfibers.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic What do you use your old jars for? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page