Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Help!! With an Older Kenmore Sewing machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help!! With an Older Kenmore Sewing machine Next Topic  

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  7:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I am so frustrated at my machine! I've had it for 20 years. But lately I have been having such problems with the tension. DH just went through and oiled it the other day and it was nice pretty clean without a lot of build up.

If you have this type of machine and have advice of adjusting the tension, please give me a shout. I don't know if the knob on the very top of the machine is out of whack or if it is the bobbin or the tensioner on the front.

arrrgh.

Do what you love, love what you do.

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  9:57:13 PM  Show Profile
Angie
My Kenmore is about 35 years old. Did you check in between the tension disks
to see if there were any loose threads in there? I keep mine set between 2 and 3
for most things and it does pretty well. Do you still have your manuel? I have mine
and can look in the troubleshooting section for you when I get home. Sometimes my
thread gets caught on the thread spool and makes a mess
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  5:51:39 PM  Show Profile
I will look at the tension disks. Haven't done that.
Does your machine have an adjustable knob on the top? The only way I can explain it is to have you think of airing up your tires and the numbered thing pops out to tell you how much pressure is in the tire. I am not sure what it is supposed to be set at or if it makes a difference in thread tension.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  8:05:12 PM  Show Profile
yes there is, I think it's numbered 1-4 and it applies pressure on the presser foot to hold the fabric. I think mine is set on the second number from the top because
I've been working on quilting cotton. On thicker fabric that would have to be adjusted
so that both layers of fabric feed through smoothly, without distorting the top layer.
I don't think it effects thread tension. Sorry I forgot to check the book last night,
I'll try to remember tonight.
Debbie
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Help!! With an Older Kenmore Sewing machine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page