plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  3:14:34 PM  Show Profile
This was my New Year's resolution, and in light of that my newest "ta-da" idea has been pillowcase dresses for my little girl! I have sooo many old pillowcases lying about and I saw this idea online, and finally a new thing just in time for spring/summer,cute dolled-up/laced-up/buttoned-up dresses!
I think I may try a few patchwork skirts too! Does anyone else have ideas for old bedding material?
Other things I am trying to figure out how to reuse in some way:
Old towels
cracked china
Any ideas?

I often find myself wandering down country roads.....................

Edited by - plantcarazy on Mar 19 2011 08:30:53 AM

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  3:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Flannel sheets make good quilt batting

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  08:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
A girlfriend had a GREAT idea. Spring is just about here. You mentioned little girls...mine always have pants that fit at the waste, but are just getting a tad short. Take a sheet with a cute pattern, make strips, loop them; and add them as fringe along the end of the leg. Then you can make little matching hair ties to coordinate. My girls get another whole season out of these pants, and they are super super cute. I have a picture somewhere. I'll dig it up and post it.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

cindymac
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Cindy
Bakersfield California
6 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  5:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Funny how the same question hits us at the same time, I too was wondering what to do with all these old sheets. I thought about giving them to Goodwill and I may still. I thought I could make a few aprons. Could maybe fashion a few laundry bags. Stuck for ideas.....

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  06:11:53 AM  Show Profile
For cracked china, I like to use the plates as saucers for my plants. Looks cute. I also use saucers from teacups where the cup itself has broken as catchalls for rings, etc. and soap dishes. Love the pants idea!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  2:05:22 PM  Show Profile
My Mother came up with another idea for the bed sheets--locker hook rugs! I didn't even have a clue she knew how to do this! Now I'm hoping she will show me

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  3:44:26 PM  Show Profile
I make crochet rag rugs from fabric strips. I don't use old sheets for fabric, but that has been done by others a lot. They wear forever.
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  8:30:08 PM  Show Profile
If you can't think of anything to do with the old sheets, I know that the SPCA is always looking for them!

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~Gandhi

embchicken.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  06:13:13 AM  Show Profile
I recently saw a website featuring jewelery made out of broken china. It's beautiful jewelery and quite pricey! If you've got a flair for making jewelery, you could use the broken china to make pendants and whatnot. Also, you could make a mosaic for your garden out of the broken china as well!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  01:23:32 AM  Show Profile
I just made a pair of pantaloons from a 1940's heavy cotton sheet for one of the farmhens I am bartering with....I also use sheets for making skirts, slips, tops....pillowcases for grand daughters dresses.....i use old blankets for quilt batting, doggie/cat beds...throw pillows for the floor. If they are older quilted ones I turn those in to heavy winter prairie skirts & jackets. old fleece blankets may get turned into boot socks for the winter. Old baby blankets get used as heavy batting for newer baby blankets......or if really cute I save them & cut them up into patchwork for grand kids clothes....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  04:09:47 AM  Show Profile
I've been eyeing an old bedsheet upstairs as an apron. I have waaaay too many aprons, yet somehow I always think I need to make another! lol

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2011 :  11:26:20 PM  Show Profile
hey Megan is that like having too many shoes!!!!! Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  02:03:43 AM  Show Profile
Michele, exactly! LOL. Its insane. I could wear a different one every day for a week and a half at least, I'd bet!

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  11:29:39 AM  Show Profile
I love all the ideas for the old bed sheets. I never thought about rugs but that is a great idea and keeps my hands busy.

I took old bath towels that were getting ragged and holey and cut them down to make dish clothes/rags. I serged the edges all around and they are great. It saves on paper towels. I just throw them in the washer. I keep a dish pan under the sink full of them.

Alexis

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page

Oggie
True Blue Farmgirl

526 Posts

Ginny
Machias Maine
USA
526 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  8:54:25 PM  Show Profile
We took old sheets and made mop caps out of them and sold them at our local 1700's period festival. The younger girls loved them because they could get into the spirit of the festival that day and it they were cheap enough for parents to buy for the day. What about making clothespin bags? Or an apron to hold your clothespins?

I use my old towels like Alexis does, they last forever.

Megan, Michele, you can never have to many aprons ;)

In my spare time right now I am working on making an apron "hanger". It will end up being like an old oak coat rack but with many hooks on all sides and up and down the middle piece. I am using old hooks and door knobs to hang them from. That way I can display them and use them. When I'm done I'll take a picture.

Ginny
Farmgirl #2343
www.thedewhopinn.com

"I always have a wonderful time, wherever I am, whomever I'm with."
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it." Both by Elwood P. Dowd (Jimmy Stewart) in the Movie Harvey
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2011 :  11:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Also, Jennifer, you can make rag baskets. If you're a farmgirl sisterhood member, there's a video on it! You could make quite a few, I believe! Also, how about some cute throw pillows-you could stencil designs on them and whatnot.

Go to Top of Page

Pasthyme
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Gail
Mountain View AR
99 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile
I recently made some cute pillows that I will put in my shop. I used a ticking style fabric to make the little pillows. To dress them up and make them look 'shabby chic' I went online and found some vintage advertisements. I copied a couple of the funny ones to my graphic arts program and printed them onto tea dyed muslin. To print directly onto the muslin I ironed the muslin to the shiny side of freezer paper. I cut it to the size of a regular sheet of copy paper. Then I printed the sheet. Be very careful that the fabric/freezer paper isn't too big---you don't want to jam your printer. Just do it carefully one sheet at a time, and make sure the fabric side will be up when it is printed. Peel off the freezer paper (can be reused).
Then I cut each ad on the fabric and hand sewed it to the pillow front, adding vintage lace, vintage buttons, etc. I was very pleased with the results.
www.pasthymesfashions.webs.com
www.ozarkfolkcenter.com
Go to Top of Page

embchicken
True Blue Farmgirl

1487 Posts

Elaine
Ocean NJ
USA
1487 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2011 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile
I am going to check out the video on the rag baskets - I love how they look!

~ Elaine
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

embchicken.blospot.com

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2011 :  02:48:48 AM  Show Profile
They'd make perfect Easter baskets!

Go to Top of Page

BalancingAct
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jackie
Hoosierville
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  6:39:25 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE the ideas of turning old bedsheets into rugs! Fantastic ideas! : D

Farmgirl Sister #2851 -"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

plantcarazy
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Jenn
Montana
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  4:04:41 PM  Show Profile
I have also been taking old bath towels and making new bath rugs out of them. Just cut a piece of canvas the size you want the rug, cut the towel into strips that are about 4 inches long and tie along the canvas in a knot. I saw it online a long time ago and haven't been able to try it until now. It is a really easy project to keep your hand busy while watching a movie for example (instead of my hands dipping into a bowl of ice cream lol!!)

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  4:22:57 PM  Show Profile
What great ideas! I'm so glad that I found this thread!
Go to Top of Page

paulas party flowers
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

paula
golden valley az
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2011 :  6:30:37 PM  Show Profile
I make my summer pjs out of old sheets. One long leg set and one short set..its makes comfy pjs cause they are already worn in..plenty left over ...paula

the best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - May 23 2011 :  08:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Pj's are a very cute idea. My 2 DD's love to match, dresses, t-shirts, etc. I will make all three of us matching Pj's with old bed sheets!! &hearts this idea!

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

www.broken908.blogspot.com
http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

chumama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Amanda
Richmond VA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 25 2011 :  1:38:03 PM  Show Profile
I cut up a fitted flannel we no longer have a bed to fit into squares and they have made a nice set of cloth wipes for my now 3 month old. I love how they match!

Live and Help Live
Go to Top of Page

osagegypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

73 Posts

Marsha
Hominy OK
USA
73 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2011 :  5:14:03 PM  Show Profile
There is a video on Etsy on how to make crocheted fabric coasters, and/or fabric rugs.

"Though she never shook the stars from their appointed courses; she loved good men and rode good horses." unk.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Renew, remake, rejuvinate! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page