Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  12:48:26 PM  Show Profile
Just want to voice my dream of moving out of California and having my own farm to enjoy. I have visited the south many times and just loved it, I love rural areas anywhere. So, Farm sisters, I will be reading your input!
Thank you,
Brenda
Future Farm Girl

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  12:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Wouldn't have it any other way. I love the country and farm life. Welcome!!

Here comes the warmer weather!!! May God Bless all of our gardens!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  1:02:14 PM  Show Profile
Marcia! thank you so much for the warm welcome and the blessings.
Enjoy your lovely day!
Brenda

quote:
Originally posted by Marcia30

Wouldn't have it any other way. I love the country and farm life. Welcome!!

Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  08:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Are you planning a move anytime soon? i don't think i would ever live in the city again. Houses are to close together and people in your business. I love living in the country

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2011 :  12:04:17 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Marcia30

Are you planning a move anytime soon? i don't think i would ever live in the city again. Houses are to close together and people in your business. I love living in the country

Hi Marcia!
I am going to purchase this summer. I have been looking in North Florida, love that region, but I am open, I have two friends in Texas, one owns a ranch the other a small farm. Gonna go visit them this spring to learn more. Thanks so much for your comments, you have confirmed for me what has been in my heart for some time now.

Peace and Blessings!
Brenda
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  03:30:59 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I moved from Sacramento to Paint Lick, KY! I miss the beach and my family, but the rest of it all I don't miss in the slightest!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2011 :  05:24:01 AM  Show Profile
Brenda - trust me. You'll never regret it. Just hold fast to your dreams, and save your dimes. Between those two pieces of wisdom - one from my dad and one from a favorite aunt -- I finally have a small but wonderful farm in the country. And we're in the South -- northwest Louisiana, that is! Gotta love it!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  10:28:11 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, hope all your dreams come true! Life is just better in the country, no doubt about it.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  11:25:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh thank you for your reply! I was just talking to a friend of mine and he wants to move from Sacramento to the country/farm life. Thanks again I truly appreciate the support!

quote:
Originally posted by walkinwalkoutcattle

Brenda, I moved from Sacramento to Paint Lick, KY! I miss the beach and my family, but the rest of it all I don't miss in the slightest!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  11:26:51 AM  Show Profile
Aww so sweetr Shi-anne! Thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by Shi-anne

Brenda, hope all your dreams come true! Life is just better in the country, no doubt about it.

http://theprairiemaid.blogspot.com/

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2011 :  11:30:19 AM  Show Profile
Ladies/Farm Sisters!
I have narrowed down a couple of areas where I would like to move, College station/Bryan Texas (or within a ten mile radius) or North Florida/Georgia borderline. Any thoughts?

Brenda

quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Isom

Just want to voice my dream of moving out of California and having my own farm to enjoy. I have visited the south many times and just loved it, I love rural areas anywhere. So, Farm sisters, I will be reading your input!
Thank you,
Brenda
Future Farm Girl

Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  07:05:35 AM  Show Profile
I sit and dream about having a farm. Every week I comb through the open houses and try to find one to visit, we have other debts to pay before getting a home right now. But it never stops me from dreaming. Here is my latest love here http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MlsNumber=848026&PRM_MlsName=Westpenn anyone have 500 grand I could borrow.

Just keep dreaming, I know I do.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  09:35:47 AM  Show Profile
We purchased our dream home in Caneyville, KY and were planning on moving by May but dh's had a triple spinal fusion three weeks ago so we've put off the move until Fall. There are no houses nearby, no cars on the road other than locals and the road is 1/3 mile from our house which can't be seen anyway. All you hear are the birds and all you see are the stars at night. It is bliss or it will be! We're downsizing from 5 bedroom house into 2 bedroom cabin and 39+ acres of trees and open meadow. When dh's back is better we'll be putting in a large garden and digging out a root cellar under the house. I NEVER want to live in a city again!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  11:10:41 AM  Show Profile
Wishing you the best of luck on your search for the perfect location! I'm in Middle Tennessee and love it here but the longer growing season in the places you have mentioned would be wonderful. It is spring there already! I built a 1000 sq foot cabin on my farm as a get out of the city retreat 10 years ago. 5 years ago I moved there permanently with my fiancee. Now we are back in the city (ugh!) while we add an addition to the cabin. Hope to be back out there this summer. I'm going back and forth to tend the garden and staying in our camper over the weekends. I feel like a gypsy! Can't wait to get back home! My dream is to make a living on the farm. We have big plans for blueberries and blackberries, chickens, honey bees, apple trees, cut flowers and possibly some goats for cheese and body care products. Lot's of work to get there but at least we know chickens and bees already. The biggest project is to build a "farm house" that will have a certified commercial kitchen and conference room to rent. We also want to have a retail area that will focus primarily on providing an outlet for local products and organic things that we currently have to order online and pay huge shipping for. (like organic poultry feed) I hope to make this something that will benefit our community and can grow into an educational and social venue for everyone.
Point is Dream Big! Go for it! My guess is it won't be hard to get your family to come visit once they get a taste of country life. Our grown kids are drawn like magnets. They all say they never sleep better than at the farm. Our Daughter in law won't eat eggs or green beans that are not ours. LOL We are talking real inside kind of girl. She surprised us by asking if she can have a small garden at the farm next year. We are thrilled! Who knows, we may need to hire her someday!
Nancy thanks for reminding me we need to do our root cellar! We have heavy equipment planned to be out there in the next few weeks so maybe I can get them to at least start it for me. Can't believe I forgot that. I can just see me standing in a pile of fresh dug potatoes with a deer in the headlights look on my face.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:25:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mrs. Brown!
I wish dh a speedy recovery and that you guys get back to paradise! Thank you for the supportive words, I am very encouraged!
Blessings,
Brenda

quote:
Originally posted by nabrown42

We purchased our dream home in Caneyville, KY and were planning on moving by May but dh's had a triple spinal fusion three weeks ago so we've put off the move until Fall. There are no houses nearby, no cars on the road other than locals and the road is 1/3 mile from our house which can't be seen anyway. All you hear are the birds and all you see are the stars at night. It is bliss or it will be! We're downsizing from 5 bedroom house into 2 bedroom cabin and 39+ acres of trees and open meadow. When dh's back is better we'll be putting in a large garden and digging out a root cellar under the house. I NEVER want to live in a city again!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile
I so appreciate your words of encouragement, I am gonna take you advice and dream big! I have been praying for, to quote the Bible, my land of milk and honey! A place to bless my family and community. Along with my farm girl dreams, I dream of painting, I see my self becoming a painter just for the fun of it though. I already write and want a quiet place to continue to write about subjects that are bless people's lives.
Thanks again, warmly,
Brenda

quote:
Originally posted by CMac

Wishing you the best of luck on your search for the perfect location! I'm in Middle Tennessee and love it here but the longer growing season in the places you have mentioned would be wonderful. It is spring there already! I built a 1000 sq foot cabin on my farm as a get out of the city retreat 10 years ago. 5 years ago I moved there permanently with my fiancee. Now we are back in the city (ugh!) while we add an addition to the cabin. Hope to be back out there this summer. I'm going back and forth to tend the garden and staying in our camper over the weekends. I feel like a gypsy! Can't wait to get back home! My dream is to make a living on the farm. We have big plans for blueberries and blackberries, chickens, honey bees, apple trees, cut flowers and possibly some goats for cheese and body care products. Lot's of work to get there but at least we know chickens and bees already. The biggest project is to build a "farm house" that will have a certified commercial kitchen and conference room to rent. We also want to have a retail area that will focus primarily on providing an outlet for local products and organic things that we currently have to order online and pay huge shipping for. (like organic poultry feed) I hope to make this something that will benefit our community and can grow into an educational and social venue for everyone.
Point is Dream Big! Go for it! My guess is it won't be hard to get your family to come visit once they get a taste of country life. Our grown kids are drawn like magnets. They all say they never sleep better than at the farm. Our Daughter in law won't eat eggs or green beans that are not ours. LOL We are talking real inside kind of girl. She surprised us by asking if she can have a small garden at the farm next year. We are thrilled! Who knows, we may need to hire her someday!
Nancy thanks for reminding me we need to do our root cellar! We have heavy equipment planned to be out there in the next few weeks so maybe I can get them to at least start it for me. Can't believe I forgot that. I can just see me standing in a pile of fresh dug potatoes with a deer in the headlights look on my face.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:33:42 PM  Show Profile
There is a commercial kitchen auction in our area this Thursday and sure wish we could go but neither one of us can carry anything over 10 pounds right now so it's out of the question. I'd love to get a commercial size sink and stainless steel counters for when we redo the kitchen in KY. Oh well, there are kitchen salvage stores around here so there must be some in southern KY or northern TN. Our "new" home is quite rustic and I can't see putting in expensive counters and new cupboards. I'd rather have lots of open shelving and my collection of old cabinets instead of all new. We're planning on lots of canning and I don't want to worry about putting hot pans down. I want to get a commercial size canner or find a cannery that allows you to use their facility. Our church used to do that in Atlanta when we lived there...we went to the state farmer's market's cannery and spend a fun day together canning as much as we wanted.

Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2011 :  4:37:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Emily! thank you for sharing your dream with me. I checked out your MLS listing, beautiful! Keep dreaming and I will surely update you on the progress of my dream.
Your Dream Buddy! Blessings
Brenda

quote:
Originally posted by alterationsbyemily

I sit and dream about having a farm. Every week I comb through the open houses and try to find one to visit, we have other debts to pay before getting a home right now. But it never stops me from dreaming. Here is my latest love here http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MlsNumber=848026&PRM_MlsName=Westpenn anyone have 500 grand I could borrow.

Just keep dreaming, I know I do.

---
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic My Farm Girl Dreams Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page