Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 I need to get my Favas out of their skin!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I need to get my Favas out of their skin!!! Next Topic  

Antoinettes Vintage
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

antoinette
santa cruz california
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2006 :  09:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Antoinettes Vintage's MSN Messenger address  Send Antoinettes Vintage a Yahoo! Message
I bought some organic Fava beans the other day from the local farmer's market and the modest little things won't come out of their skins!!! I want to saute' them but I need to get them out of their tough outer skin first. I tried boiling them, waiting for them to pop open but it just didn't happen and they ended up getting way over cooked.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get these shy little beans out of their shells?

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2006 :  3:17:17 PM  Show Profile
You have to peel them. Boil them until they're bright green, run cold water over them to cool them (you can also put them in the fridge for a little while), and then peel the skins off. They won't pop out on their own.

Fresh favas are seriously labor intensive (and can be expensive, considering how much of their weight is wasted), but they're so good.

I've got a great recipe for fava beans, incidentally. It's slightly modified from a recipe I got out of the paper.

Start with about 3 1/2 pounds of fava pods, shell them, blanch the beans, and peel the hulls. You should have about 2 or 2 1/2 cups of beans. (You can do this step the day before or earlier in the day and keep the beans in the fridge)

Take 1 cup of orzo and cook it according to package directions.

Sautee a few cloves of minced garlic in some olive oil, throw in the favas, season with salt, pepper, oregano, and a dash or two of cayenne. Add drained orzo and a whole bunch of freshly grated parmesan (like 1/2 cup or so, or more if you like)

Except for the part that you can do ahead, it's pretty simple, and my guests go crazy for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I need to get my Favas out of their skin!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page