Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Children's Blocks from 1901
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Children's Blocks from 1901 Next Topic  

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  07:24:16 AM  Show Profile
I found these on an etsy site. Gotta wonder what little hands played with them. The girl said they were from an estate on the Mississippi.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  07:54:03 AM  Show Profile
They're wonderful, Nancy. I love old blocks--the pictures, the carving, especially the grammar of the days passed is particularly poignant. Words for animals that noone thinks of any more.

I have some really lovely ones that I bought from Miss Wilma before Violet was born. They are German, and are about 6 inches long, and are wrapped with a story that seems to be Old Mother Hubbard.

Janice gave Violet a whole bunch of vintage wooden blocks and they are her favorite thing to play with. She stacks them, knocks them down, stacks them up and yells out (mostly) correct letters and numbers

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2011 :  08:14:49 AM  Show Profile
Jonnie,
How nice that Miss Wilma and Janice gave those blocks to Violet. What a nice keepsake! FUNNY YOU SHOULD MENTION mISS wILMA, I e'mailed her not long ago asking if she had any Blocks she wanted to sell, but didn't hear from her. Maybe I had the e'mail wrong. Hope all is well with her. Look some caps, not yelling.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13634 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13634 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  06:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Nancy,
I have ONE block like that. I found it at an antique shop in Corpus Christi, Texas. They had just a few and were SOOOOOOOO expensive I felt I could only get one. It has a "G" on one side and "W" on the other. The little pictures on two other sides. I bought it for the "G" for my maiden name "Gardner" . . .and I probably had blocks like that when I was little. There was one with an "A" and I wanted it to for my married name, but . .
Memories!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  08:19:42 AM  Show Profile
Yes CJ,I was surprised at the prices myself. I found my really old ones on esty, I think they were about 20.00, so it isn't something you can order every time you get a bee on your bonnet.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  09:33:04 AM  Show Profile
They made me smile when I saw them, and your flower frog pen holder is brilliant! Now I just have to find a flower frog, I know I bought a few years ago, but where they are is a blank. We got five days of rain to wash away the snow and now I have a carpet of snowdrops in front of my house. And mud. Lots and lots of mud. That means spring is just a few short months away....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  09:52:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen,
Oh Boy spring, hurry up! I love the vidio on your blog of the little owl. So funny and cute.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2011 :  05:14:43 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, I would soo love to go to your thrift store with you you find such awesome things
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Children's Blocks from 1901 Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page