kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  06:27:11 AM  Show Profile
This morning I am having fresh eggs from my hens, bread I baked with my eggs, local honey and a friend's Jersey milk, some sausage I got from the farmer's market yesterday from right up the road in Tn., and some grits form a guy that grows his own corn and has it milled not too far from here. Can't get much fresher or local than that, my friends. And a glass of milk from my friend's Jersey. Yummo, as Rachel says.

All this talk about buying American and local got me to thinking. I was out of the guys grits and at the store the other day so thought I would get some there. Nope. I waited til Wed. and got some more from him. He grows old heirloom corn so I know it's good. And the sausauge. I have about 6 weeks to wait for my own homegrown pork but wanted some sausage real bad. So I paid $4.50 a pound for some good locally raised pork. I will gladly pay that for pork that I know where it came from. I have been to their farm. They pasture raise everything. And they are pretty much organic too. SO I will support them and not Smithfield. And my distant cousin Paula Deene.

SO what's for breakfast at your house?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  06:34:53 AM  Show Profile
Awesome. What time are we eating?

I like that you waited to get your grits--they'll taste even better, now. What is it they say? "Good things come to those who wait." I do the same thing. Since we've been getting that organic delivery bi-weekly, and that brings our milk, eggs and veggies, there are a LOT of things that wait until I have those better products in my hands.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisalisa
True Blue Farmgirl

216 Posts

Lisa
Broomall PA
USA
216 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  08:29:30 AM  Show Profile
Sounds Great! I'll join you!
Unfortunately, I'm in the suburbs and it's not quite Spring yet, so the most local foods I can get is from my farmer's market. They have local dairy items (PA farms), but other than that, I'm just going USA! Good things come to those who wait, so, come warmer weather, I'll have my own things growing in the garden (not a big meat-eater)!
I'm not as lucky as you are, Kristin and Jonni! So, take a bite for me, it all sounds delicious!
Enjoy, L
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  2:29:43 PM  Show Profile
It was delicious, for sure. I could live on grits, sausage and eggs all mixed up together. And I don't get hungry 10 minutes later.

So you get all that delivered right to your door, Jonni? That is so nice.

I can hardly wait to get out in my garden this year. But right now it's got way too much water on it. Will have to wait til June to get anything planted out there.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  2:54:24 PM  Show Profile
I love grits too Kristin, and coming from corn country I got to thinking, I wonder if I could make my own grits! I think I see a research project in my future! :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com
www.Oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog
The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  4:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Mary Beth, I am going to grow Hickory King corn to grind into grits and meal. That's what this guy grows to make his. I have a grinder. I started growing some last year but the tiller broke down. So yes, you could grow your own corn. It would need to be a field type corn. The Hickory King (or Cane) corn is the best. It dries really good and has really big kernals and very long cobs. The stalks gets to be about 15 feet tall.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile
Kris, from what I understand, the corn is supposed to be soaked in lye and dried before ground? I have stone grinder that can make perfect sized grits kernels but I am going to see what all the process entails. When I lived in Tennessee, we used to raise a boatload of Hickory "Cane" corn. I can see that it would make a good grits corn. Not sure if it will grow in Oklahoma as we don't have the rainfall that they have in Tennessee.

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  6:59:04 PM  Show Profile
Ok, didn't know about soaking the corn. I guess I should do some research on this too. We have been really dry here the past few years. Not too much rain in July and Aug.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I found this article (it will make you feel right at home from that part of the country) and I think I'm going to take a stab at it. Of course, they are cooking the whole hominy, but I am going to dry it and course grind it. I was surprised to find out that hominy flour is Masa Harina! http://www.mtnlaurel.com/Recipes/hominy.htm

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  7:47:36 PM  Show Profile
i learn new things here every day. thanks girls. kris i need some of those grits. i would pay shipping. i love grits. i could send you some soap and gas money for sending me some. pretty please. just next time you go maybe. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  8:47:26 PM  Show Profile
Sherrye, I would be glad to send you some. You will just need to email me to remind me. They are only there on Wed. so I can go back next week. I would LOVE some more of your soap. I really liked it alot. So Tuesday remind me and I will write a note. If I do it now I will lose it. I am that bad.

Mary beth, I will check that out tomorrow. I am off to bed. Good night, all.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  9:32:58 PM  Show Profile
Wow, that sounds so good! We sometimes get a pig from a local rancher and the breakfast sausage is wonderful! I have never had good grits. Actually the first time I ever tried them was a couple of years ago (just store bought). It sure sounds like this former yankee is missing out :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  05:14:16 AM  Show Profile
Yes you are. I love grits. But if they are not done right and they aren't fresh when you get them, they are not good. Also if you don't salt the water before putting the grits in you just can't get it right. Also lots of butter is the key for me. When I get grits in a restaraunt they are never good. Just blan and it takes too much work to get them to even taste half way good. SO I don't bother. When they sit for too long you might as well just make palenta with them.

So try to find some good grits and try again. Salt the water and then add the grits. Turn down to a little simmer and stir alot. Then add butter. You want them a little bit on the runny side. Not too thick. I like the white grits too. People in the North put sugar in their grits. My hubby does. That's like grit pudding then.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  05:24:08 AM  Show Profile
Kris, I like grits casserole too - with eggs, cheese, pablano peppers and garlic, brow and bubbly on top. Yum - mouth watering now!

But plain grits with salt and butter is great too! It's what got me through college believe it or not. I didn't have much money and so I would eat grits in the morning, created in a hot pot in my dorm room. :-)

Mary Beth

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2011 :  05:57:11 AM  Show Profile
All this talk about grits is making my cinnamon danish pale in comparison!!! I love cheese grits with chiles :) And grits with butter and salt, and grits with cinnamon and sugar...and grits.

Kris, yep, delivered right to my door. Greenbeandelivery.com.

It's all organic, local when possible. I have a standing fruit/veggie bin order for $25.00 and then I can add organic local milk from a small dairy (with the cream on top!), locally made cheeses, breads, local roasted fair trade coffee, bulk organic foods like bee pollen, wheat germ, nuts, etc...local beef, pork and poultry, and lots of local/regional artisan food producers that I never would know about that are making small batch goods for sale. On average, I spend about $50.00 and usually get 2 milks, eggs, goat cheese, coffee and bread, or I might get some meat. Well worth it and I always have the staples in my house. They send you an "order invoice" the Thursday prior to your delivery which lists the contents of the veggie bin and you can alter it as you choose. This time, I took out mushrooms because noone eats them, and added a few more apples because Violet is crazy for them. Then, I can add as many groceries as I like for delivery on Friday. They only charge my account after delivery.

Truly, it's been one of the best things I've done in somet time. I will probably suspend it through summer, which you can do, since I'll be getting CSA bins from the farm that I bought shares in, but will resume again in October.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Very Local Breakfast Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page